Print Thread
Hop To
M
mod7rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I own two NF NXS 2.5-10x compact scopes. One is a 42mm and is parallax adjustable. The other is 32 mm.
The specifications say parallax adjustable from 25 yds to infinity.

My question is why would the scope be designed to remove parallax down to 25 yds? There’s only so much adjustment range on this scope and I find it maxes out somewhere around 300 yds for me. Wouldn’t it be better to have that limited adjustment range set farther out or am I missing something?

What is it about the scope design that creates such a limited adjustment range?

I also have a 16x SWFA and it has a huge adjustment range. I’ve adjusted parallax way out past 1000 yds and still have more adjustment to go.

Last edited by mod7rem; 09/24/19.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They might have been used for a smaller cartridge.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I own two NF NXS 2.5-10x compact scopes. One is a 42mm and is parallax adjustable. The other is 32 mm.
The specifications say parallax adjustable from 25 yds to infinity.

My question is why would the scope be designed to remove parallax down to 25 yds? There’s only so much adjustment range on this scope and I find it maxes out somewhere around 300 yds for me. Wouldn’t it be better to have that limited adjustment range set farther out or am I missing something?

What is it about the scope design that creates such a limited adjustment range?

I also have a 16x SWFA and it has a huge adjustment range. I’ve adjusted parallax way out past 1000 yds and still have more adjustment to go.

I always check the low end parallax because I shoot airguns quite a bit. Short range parallax is important for very close range (10-50 yards) precision shots.

I called Leupold once about adjusting the parallax on a fixed AO scope and they told me I'd lose some parallax on the far side (past 100 yards if I recall). For airgun and many rimfire shooters 10-100 yards is the critical range for parallax adjustment and precision shooting.

I'm glad you brought this up however as I've been looking at the NF NXS line for my AR which I'd like to be able to take out to 300 yards or even a bit farther. Good info!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My quest has been for a scope with AO down to 2 yards. I NEED it for shooting close up forest grouse with a .22 rifle. Over the past several years I have kept track and most of my misses have been closer than 7 yards. 15 yards out to my recent best grouse at 56 yards is no problem compared to grouse in the 2 to 10 yard range.

I will admit part of the problem is some eye surgeries that messed up my eyes on close range focus. But part is height of sight above bore at close range, and part is parallax, which increases with close range and higher magnification. If we shoot things up close with a scope, we need parallax adjustment because it its a greater problem up close.

My solution for now is to go with a one power scope, which comes close to eliminating parallax.

I think it is Leapers that has an airgun scope that adjusts down to 3 yards. Users started calling it a Bug Buster because people dial it up close and shoot house flies, and now the company markets it under that name. I tried one, didn't like some of the other features.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
parallax error is more severe as the power range or size of the erector is increased. It has to do with decrease in depth of field, which has to do with light rays being in the same plane as the axis, and not "bent"

If the line of sight is down the optical center of the scope there is no parallax. It only occurs when the eye is off center, thus BDC and hold over reticles need it more so than a fixed power.

Use a cheek riser to bring your eye up to a more consistent repositioning down the optical center.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
optics with no parallax such as dot sights, do not have to be centered in the "windshield" to hit there target, thats why they are so fast.

Last edited by Etoh; 10/10/19.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.