Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Decided fall of 2018 I was gonna take my 15 yr old daughter Riley on her first western hunting trip! She’s killed a few bucks and does here in Pa (blinds and stands) but I wanted her to experience glassing and stalking out west. I ended up booking a hunt with Brad Viren of Badger Creek outfitters in Sheridan. He made me a heck of a deal for Riley. Goat was 100% draw for her but the muley draw odds were not in her favor. Well she ended up drawing both and mam was she pumped to be going after a Management muley.

We departed Pittsburgh On Friday and flew into Denver. I like to fly SW for the free baggage fees and I also wanted a little drive to show her the landscape and all the goats I knew we would see over the 6 hr drive north. We arrived in Sheridan on Sat and got settled in A really nice Hotel. About 3 we met Brad and he took us to the range to check zero on our Rifles. Riley has her own Rem mod 7 7-08 but wanted to use my 264 mag since she shot her last 2 whitetail bucks with it. I guess it’s a confidence thing for her. The 264 was shooting 140 Accubonds at 3150fps. 2 shots for her and she was ready! I brought my new Tikka T3x 6.5 Creed shooting 139 Scenars at 2870fps. This was the first hunt with the Tikka and my first time shooting Scenars.

Next morning was the first day of the hunt. We ended up spotting 3 bucks bedded between a rock outcropping and a dead tree so we planned our stalk. After about 3/4 mile we popped up over a little ridge to see them laying there and they had no clue we were there. Riley was too short laying prone to get off a shot so she slowly sat up as Brad rested the front of her gun on the shooting sticks. The bigger of them stood but was too late. At a whopping 80yds she hit him at the point of the shoulder, went through the heart off lung and out mid ribs. He ran 20 yds and tumbled. She was ecstatic, shaking like a leaf and tears rolling down her face! He was an old giant bodied deer. A monster 3x4 with incredible mass. Lots of videos and pics ensued then we drug him 200 yds to the bottom of the hill and Brad was able to get the truck to him. Got him all loaded and started driving out and stopped to look for the other bucks that was with them. One was a narrow 4x4 with giant back forks but had insane mass and almost black antlers. We ended up finding him bedded about 1/2 mile away but at the same time seen 4 antelope bucks feeding together past the same ridge we just drug her muley off of.

The stalk started!!! I stayed at the truck to keep an eye of the 4x4 while Riley and Brad started the stalk. They went about a mile when They dropped down over the hill. I heard a faint shot and seen the orange hat waving in the air so I knew she done it! A double in less than 2 hrs! Ended up with a 90yd shot on her antelope. She was so happy and I was so proud!!!!! They made it back to the truck 45 min later. We drove back down to the same bottom and had to drag the antelope 5-600yds to get it loaded! At least it was down hill! The muley buck I was watching ended up getting up as they were walking back and walked up over the top ridge into a neighbors property.

Next day I went to another piece with Brads guide Patrick. Drove to a glassing point up top and glasses for about 2 hrs. Tons of deer but only one real good buck. Monster fronts but couldn’t tell much more as he was over a mile away. Mid day was slow. Only found 2 bucks bedded under the shade of some pines. It was 73deg and super windy. Did see 2 prairie rattle snakes though. I passed the one buck, a nice 4x4 but not what I was looking for. At last light we were sitting on top waiting for the deer to come out into a big flat where two big drainages came up from the steep bottom. A pile of does and 2 bucks came out but not what I wanted. We were wrapping up when I looked behind us and out in the sage I seen deer. I grabbed the binos and seen there were 4 does and another deer and could tell he had a frame but when he turned his head I seen good forks and told the guide he’s dead. Never waited for the guide to look at him. ranged him at 348, turned the dial to 3.2 moa settled the crosshairs(illuminated) and touched the trigger! WHOP and he made a 30yd dash and toppled! After a few high fives we walked over. Not what I was looking for(my own fault) but a beautiful 4x4 with great forks just narrow! The Scenar entered the 2nd to last rib and lodged in the front its off shoulder! Did exactly what I hoped.

I was happy and my daughter and myself had an awesome hunt! I can’t thank Brad and Patrick enough for what they did and how they were with Riley! I couldn’t have asked for anymore!!!! We fly out tomorrow so time to finish packing, get my meat and drive back to Denver! Hope you guys like the pics!

Thanks
Roy and Riley
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Very awesome congratulations to you both...

Public landowner...
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on an awesome hunt to both of you!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Way to go , just you two?

we’re you in the east of 25?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Great stuff !!

Congratulations to you both.

Glad to see Riley got her mother's looks !

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I didn’t realize that there were two bucks at first!
How much is the spread?

Last edited by Whelenman; 10/10/19.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I have to read the post instead of looking at the pictures! 😁

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A huge a Congratulations to You and your Daughter. It’s great to see parents that introduce their kids to hunting, and are willing to “go the extra mile” to take them on an extensive hunt such as this! It’s also great to see one of “today’s “ kids hunting instead of playing on “game boys” or out running the streets! You should be a top 5 finalist for Dad of the Year! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to you both - all fine animals!! And it looks like you got lucky and had some nice weather to hunt in and get around which can be tough if its nasty.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 10/10/19.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very nice!! Grats

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice!!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Awesome! Congrats to you both.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
EXCELLENT! You both did well!

Good guide an outfitter it appears...those are nice mule deer for this day and age!

Congrats!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Congrats Nice write up! Great Bucks!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Some great memories made there! Congrats and a great hunt/adventure! Nice story and pics, Thanks for sharing!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
CGongrats to dad and daughter. Nice pics and write up too

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice animals and a great story. Congrats.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Way to go , just you two?

we’re you in the east of 25?

There was another hunter in camp. He took a really heavy 4x4 and an antelope as well in 2 days. We were very close to the Montana border that’s all I know.

Roy

R
RTSJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by memtb
A huge a Congratulations to You and your Daughter. It’s great to see parents that introduce their kids to hunting, and are willing to “go the extra mile” to take them on an extensive hunt such as this! It’s also great to see one of “today’s “ kids hunting instead of playing on “game boys” or out running the streets! You should be a top 5 finalist for Dad of the Year! memtb

Thanks man! I could have cared less if I shot anything after that! My trip was made at that moment!!!!

Roy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice, congrats!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 3,000 guests, and 1,442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.