Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm pretty sure the M-11 and standard A-5 weights are roughly equal. The added time and effort to lighten the stock and receiver would likely not have been cost effective on the M-11. To further bolster this idea, I have not seen nor heard of such a thing being done to the M-11. If efforts to lighten the gun had been undertaken, it is probable this would have been commented on to get a less expensive "Sweet 16".

GB1

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Well this has convinced me to restore the old gun. Even though 16 gauge shells are hard to find on sale and I don't currently have reloading dies maybe I will just start getting AA loads until I have a stockpile of hulls and then start re-loading for the 16.

JKLUND38 Liked that story and this is a family gun too.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I'm pretty sure the M-11 and standard A-5 weights are roughly equal. The added time and effort to lighten the stock and receiver would likely not have been cost effective on the M-11. To further bolster this idea, I have not seen nor heard of such a thing being done to the M-11. If efforts to lighten the gun had been undertaken, it is probable this would have been commented on to get a less expensive "Sweet 16".

Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Tejano
Well this has convinced me to restore the old gun. Even though 16 gauge shells are hard to find on sale and I don't currently have reloading dies maybe I will just start getting AA loads until I have a stockpile of hulls and then start re-loading for the 16.

Compression formed (Win AA style) hulls in 16 ga haven't been made in 30 years so you will be hard pressed to build up much of a stockpile of them. I started out with over a thousand of them around 1990, I'm down to maybe 300 now and I've added some to the stash along the way. Prices have gone way up as these shells have reached collector status to some.

I prefer the Remington hulls of those currently available. They load much like the old AAs and I typically get several reloads out of them. Next would be Cheddite and other European hulls. Their biggest negative is needing to use European primers rather than American one's. Close behind are Federal hulls. These latter hull (Federal and Euro) are fairly volumnous which make them better for 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz loads. The Remington and old Winchester AA style are my preferred hull for 1 oz and lighter loads.

I've been reloading16 ga for a long time. There are not many options for the 16 ga in either factory loads or reloading components. In some ways that is good though it can be a problem looking for loads.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Tejano

Thanks!

I’ve sold lots of guns, but never one with sentimental value. Those old family guns may not be worth the most monetarily, but they sure are valuable. Keep it and fix it up!

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by MOGC
Is the weight of the Model 11 16 gauge the same as the standard 16 Auto Five? Or the weight of a Sweet Sixteen?

Originally Posted by woodmaster81

I have three Model 11's in the house - two 12s and a 16. One of the 12s has a 28 inch Imp Cyl barrel with a solid rib. The 16 is the same, except with a Mod choke. According to my bathroom scale (and it tells me i've lost weight, so it's most likely not anywhere near accurate) the 16ga weighs in at 8lbs even, the 12 hits 8.4 lbs. Neither is a lightweight.....

I grew up shooting the 12 ga. Shot my first pheasant with it when I was eleven. Killed tons of ducks, geese, pheasants with it. It's an old one, with the safety in front of the trigger. Belonged to my Grandfather - he bought the other M11 (Sportsman) for my Dad. When my brother and I became old enough to hunt, the M11s became "ours" and my Dad bought a Browning A5 Magnum with a 32" Full barrel. I have that here too, somewhere. Got my first triple on gamebirds (hungarian partridge) with the A5. As a side note: DO NOT shoot partridge at 20 yards with 3 inch #2s through a full choke. I bought the 16ga (also a Sportsman) through the classifieds here many years ago, in order to fulfill my need for a 16ga autoloader to sate my addiction to that gauge.

As a previous poster has said, the M11 does have less refinements than the A5. Most of those, though, you are not going to notice when the shooting starts.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 44 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,632
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.