Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I remember when we used to work 74 hour days for no pay!

That was the way we liked it!

Nowadays these gay kids wont even work 65 hour days for no pay!

The end is near!

My boss offered anyone that was interested 20 bucks an hour out of his pocket (tax free) to come in on a Friday Night, Work Saturday and Sunday moving desks and setting up cables in another part of the building. He had not takers.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by gunner500
we've all worked and funded the retirements of the generations in front of us like we should, there's not much work being done behind us fellas.

If that is true, why does inflation adjusted GDP per capita continue to grow?

I agree that those of working should fund commitments for basic care for retirees, this is an important entitlement program. I disagree that the solvency problem that entitlement program faces is due to a lack of “work” being delivered, more that the program has been expanded without a corresponding increase in funding.

The GDP continues to grow because of the inclusion of "services" which are not a real product. The books are cooked. GD

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

The end is near!

My boss offered anyone that was interested 20 bucks an hour out of his pocket (tax free) to come in on a Friday Night, Work Saturday and Sunday moving desks and setting up cables in another part of the building. He had not takers.

Only in the US would that seem normal.

How else would you afford a Disney trip or that 75 inch TV?

Its okay to yard your tired carcass off the hamster wheel once in a while!

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
One thing for sure is that it much tougher for millennials to enter the industry’s that I am in, compared to what previous generations had to do. Things are pretty well locked up by the boomers who were first and managed to give themselves permits, quota, etc while freezing out the generations to come.

Don’t even get me going on land prices etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At my 'off the farm' job, we have a wide spectrum of employees from 19 to 67 years old. I am in the middle at 45. We seem to have 'rock stars' and 'duds' at every age level. I have a 25 year old guy that works like a wild man, has a sensible house, two young kids, and a stay at home wife. I wish I could clone him about 30 times over.

I also have a 62 year old guy that basically refuses to learn the new technology, and has been coasting for awhile. He does about half as much as the young guy. He does talk a good game in the break room though, so he does have that going for him.

I will say this, if your computer is giving you fits, you ask the 19 year old intern for help, not the 60+ year old guys. grin

On another note, I have noticed the twenty somethings are a lot less materialistic than the Boomers. They want basic, reliable cars, small houses with small payments. They are more interested in travel than owning 'stuff'. Can't say I blame them.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You think millennials are bad, wait till the smart phone generation hits the job market.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Calvin
You think millennials are bad, wait till the smart phone generation hits the job market.

There's an app for that.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
People wrongly assume that the amount the bank will loan them is also the amount they can afford to pay.

THAT is quickly becoming an issue. Kids have a hard time seeing they don't have to keep up with the Joneses.

The kids today are less into mortgages than previous generations.

I'm not sure about that, I haven't looked into it. I'm talking about consumer goods.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Best friend John works part time with an excavation contractor. The contractors son will be running a skidsteer and stop midstream, shut it down, and talk on his phone, or PLAY GAMES, for 5 minutes, then start back up and keep going. Yesterday a customer complained. Interesting to see where that goes since MOM and DAD are the enablers that created this entitled prick.

LOL
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Technically, I am a first or second year millennial. Born in 1982, I turned 37 this summer. I tried a couple of years in college to get a biology degree (all out of pocket, no loans) but for various reasons, I had to quit college and start working full time. Shortly after that, I bought a small starter home in 2006. When I got tired of my auto parts store position not providing enough to cover the bills and leave some for toys and savings, I entered into an apprenticeship at the local shipyard.

12 years later, I'm still at the same company and manage a team of 30 planners that support all aspects of the company. I am currently pulling a low 6 figure salary and often look back at some of my choices in life. I wonder if completing college would have put me in a better spot. I wanted to be a marine biologist something fierce. Seeing a few of my coworkers with thousands upon thousands of dollars in student loans has me thinking I have done okay.

My wife stays at home and home-schools our daughter. We just bought another house last summer...an older home in good shape with more room for the family to move about. Mortgage is less than $150K and notes are well within my financial capabilities. I still drive my '02 Dodge 2500 but just had to buy my wife a newer vehicle after she got side-swiped on the interstate. We found a 2012 GMC Accadia with less than 80K miles on it that we paid $10K cash for. The starter home has now become a rental property that is paying for itself.

I always called my father "CHEAP" growing up but I guess his habits have rubbed off on me. I agree with him now and call it "FRUGAL." I am not flush with cash...but definitely not poor either. I am doing everything I can to dump money into savings and retirement...definitely keeping my eyes on financial independence and retirement. Early retirement if possible.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
People wrongly assume that the amount the bank will loan them is also the amount they can afford to pay.

THAT is quickly becoming an issue. Kids have a hard time seeing they don't have to keep up with the Joneses.

The kids today are less into mortgages than previous generations.

I'm not sure about that, I haven't looked into it. I'm talking about consumer goods.

We all spend too damn much on consumer goods.

I think thats where all this debt is from.

I did read where the young folks are buying homes less often....preferring to rent.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JPro
A younger friend of mine says I wouldn't believe the number of working, millennial-aged people who appear to be doing well, only because their parents are still subsidizing them to a significant degree. When you see the late 20's or early 30's couple with a nice house, nice cars, nice clothes, multiple kids, and jobs like high-school coach or fitness trainer, it's the previous generation picking up a good bit of the tab, more often than not. That's probably not a good trend for the long run.

You've just described my next door neighbors. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Group condemnation is rarely correct. I have 2 grandkids in college, Ohio State and SMU. Both are engineering majors. One is a division 1 athlete the other finished a full ironman recently. Both had paid internships this summer. They consider 16 hour days a treat.

There have always been winners and losers. I have observed frequently on here that many resent those that are successful and affluent even if earned by great effort and talent. It is far easier to criticize than it is to win.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

The end is near!

I've worked that many a week. Often.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Calvin

Millennials ARE the smart phone generation. Not that others are not also addicted to the thing.

Last edited by RickyD; 10/11/19.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
The GDP continues to grow because of the inclusion of "services" which are not a real product. The books are cooked. GD

People don’t pay for services? There is nothing in the definition of GDP, now or ever in the past, that restricts it to physical products.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
Millennials ARE the smart phone generation.

You need to get out more.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

How so. Ever been on a college campus? Everyone of them are looking at that phone as they walk.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

How so. Ever been on a college campus? Everyone of them are looking at that phone as they walk.

Not even close. Smartphone generation is about 16!and under. Addicted to Fortnight, YouTube, TikTok. Parents can’t hardly put down the phone themselves to parent. Dads sit on 24hour Campfire all day complaining about millennials etc. (grin)

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
There were no smart phones when I was a kid.

Not a single one.

Home computers were not common, although a neighbor had an Atari.

We had no internet, and the woman who answered when you dialed zero could get quite cross with you.

We were introduced to smart phones at the same time all you other J Rods were introduced to them.

In fact, when they first came out we did not have money enough to buy them.

I am MAGA.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.