S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
In an effort to slim down the fixies...

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

If it’s something guys want I’ll do them for $40 shipped, or $15 apiece plus shipping if you put a bunch in a box. Might not be for the hard core turret twisters but I like it on a backpack rifle. Note, the chopped windage turret idea came from some other genius, I believe MtnBoomer but can’t remember.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice. I will get a few on order here soon. Got a side by side comparison?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Nice, always figured they would trim up like that, but I'd done it on a belt sander!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Except you got windy on ele....😆

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
U'R.....

Oh chit, I didn't see that second picture! Better send one of these to Texas for show and tell.....

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/10/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 16bore
Except you got windy on ele....😆

LOL, yup!

OP, nice work on the turrets though, I don't mind that at all. I've done something similar on turrets with very aggressive texture (Vortex, Leupold, etc), removing most of it in the lathe to prevent catching and turning on a gun case or clothing. While that's not an issue with the SWFA fixed, I've never liked how big those turrets are so that's a nice improvement IMO.

If a guy was so inclined, you could take this a step further and either knurl the trimmed area or cut some flutes in it with a ball end mill. I might do this on one of mine to experiment.

I see the pink indicator marks on the parallax ring, looks like yours are lined up for 300?

Last edited by Yondering; 10/10/19.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I need 4 of those elevation only! PM sent! Kurt

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Haha! Never noticed the Up-Down, Left-Right. This was just something I liked and wanted to share. I knew the next question would be “How Much!” So figured I’d offer. Send them, I’ll machine and send back. Not interested in fluting or knurling. I can shave the whole end off if the Markings matter.

I mark parallax at 200 so I can see it prone. I’ve also chopped most of the objective bell off, just because.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a matter of time before either SWFA knocks them back a bit or someone figures out how to get those things 1/2 the height or better.

Nicely done, I love goofy little skullphuck projects like this...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
What I'd kill for is their ultralight 2-10 with a ffp mil quad reticle and capped turrets.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 10/10/19.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Send your big knob complaints to: Swfaswfa.com

--- Kid Rock 2022

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
tag.

Nice work friend.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
What I'd kill for is their ultralight 2-10 with a ffp mil quad reticle and capped turrets.

And 4” of eye relief.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

And 4” of eye relief.

And an elevation knob. And a FireDot.

--- Kid Rock 2022

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Very nicely done!! If i was shooting SWFA's, I'd take you up. Seems reasonable to me. Very cool!!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks good. I was having an ejection issue with my Sako A7 while using the SWFA 16x SS because of the huge azzed turrets (and because it's a Sako, nuff said). When I put my Nightforce on it, problem solved. It may have been a combination of getting the scope a little further away from the receiver/ejection port and slightly smaller turrets. Had I been using these modified turrets, it may not have been an issue..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Looks good. I was having an ejection issue with my Sako A7 while using the SWFA 16x SS because of the huge azzed turrets (and because it's a Sako, nuff said). When I put my Nightforce on it, problem solved. It may have been a combination of getting the scope a little further away from the receiver/ejection port and slightly smaller turrets. Had I been using these modified turrets, it may not have been an issue..

Same with my T3 223 and a 10X SWFA

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I know this has been an ongoing discussion here for a long time. You would think SWFA would have redesigned them by now??? Or at least give an option to have this style of turret instead of the monsters they currently sell...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I know this has been an ongoing discussion here for a long time. You would think SWFA would have redesigned them by now??? Or at least give an option to have this style of turret instead of the monsters they currently sell...

Oh, I don't know if they're aware of our little contingent of disappointment... LOL. I sent them some pics of the chopped windage thingy. But, like my prototype 0.1 mil heavy MilQuad reticle, I don't expect instant remodel...

--- Kid Rock 2022

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thinking if a mandrel was made to better support the knob in the lathe, ya might be able to knurl it on the machined area. But if you don't have one, knurling tools aren't cheap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,627
Posts18,455,165
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.