Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hello
Just purchased one of these rifles in .270 with the FN Mauser action.
Have sourced the original scope, mounts and rings just looking for the rear sight and elevator ramp.
Have come to learn that this rifles action is the base for many custom builds and that some of you might have one of these sights left over from one of your builds.
Please contact me if you can help get my rifle back to factory stock.
Regards Keith.

Attached Images
image.jpeg (25.04 KB, 913 downloads)
image.jpeg (10.28 KB, 912 downloads)
image.jpeg (14.7 KB, 891 downloads)
Last edited by thornett; 10/11/19.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome to the Fire.
It looks like you've got a good rifle to work with.
I'll keep my eyes open for what you need.
Have you checked World Gun Parts?
John

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi John
yes world gun parts have the rear sight i'm after just not the ramp that goes with it sadly.
so ideally was trying to find both original pieces together as a set.
if nothing turns up might end up having to go that route and search out a suitable ramp.
was really trying to get this rifle back to original stock configuration
thanks for keeping your eyes peeled or me
regards
keith

Last edited by thornett; 10/15/19.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should have those parts. I'll look tonight or tomorrow.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for looking really appreciate it but just got off the phone with a gunsmith up here in Alberta Canada who had the rear sight and ramp and is going to place it in the post for me.
One of the members here turned me on to him so it's all taken care of.
Thanks very much for your kind offer z1r and hope you get this before you took a look.
Much appreciated
Keith
Nova Scotia

Last edited by thornett; 10/15/19.
IC B2

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad you found them. I've had several Higgins 50's over the years, all good shooters. Coincidentally, my son just selected one of my Model 50's to replace his custom Small Ring Mexican 6.5x55 that he has outgrown.

I too have one that came with a period correct Sears scope as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mines a 50 metal in 51 wood. .30-06. Bought it because it was cheap and already had a Timney trigger and Leupold 4x on it. Was going to make it a 6.5x55. The problem is it shoots to well as a.30-06.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cheesy, funny, my boy selected a 51 stock for his 50 as well. Nice looking rifle you got.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Here mine in .270 seen as purchased. The Bushnell banner 4x40 scope has been removed and being replaced with either the original version JC Higgins rifleman senior 2.5x or the weaver k3 60b. Going to try them both and see which one like using more. Going to make a white line spacer for the butt stock too for that is missing as well.

Here's a link for the excellent gunshop up here in Gold River, Nova Scotia, Canada,
They have a lot of used and new firearms in stock.

Link to their stock page. http://kelvinstaxidermyandgunshop.ca/stock.html

Attached Images
higgins model 50.jpeg (14.56 KB, 576 downloads)
Last edited by thornett; 10/18/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Mines a 50 metal in 51 wood. .30-06. Bought it because it was cheap and already had a Timney trigger and Leupold 4x on it. Was going to make it a 6.5x55. The problem is it shoots to well as a.30-06.

Well, you broke the first rule, "never shoot the donor"... grin

The Swede is a good one, but t's hard to beat the ole '06...

IIRC, Hi Standard fitted those barrels for Sears, reportedly, some were chrome lined. I've read accounts of their accuracy.

Those guns may be the ultimate sleeper, often selling for less than the value of the action.

DF

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Sears Model 53, a post-64 Winchester Model 70 in Sears garb. I got it from a shooting buddy who is 92 and doesn't shoot anymore. He bought it used sometime in the 1960s. It shoots great. I took it to Colorado last November on an elk hunt. No elk, but I knew the rifle would do the job. I had one of those Model 50s and never shot it. I guess I should have.... It became a 35 Whelen.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you want to take a departure from "100% original parts", consider a Marbles "bullseye" aperature rear sight. It replaces the rear dovetailed sight, and has an elevator ramp. It makes a very friendly sight for older eyes. I have one on my Higgins model 50. It is a great back-up sight system to my 4x Leupold. Cost = $20

It comes in a long and short version. The longer version is easier to adjust slide movement. The short leaf version can be a bit stiff to move the slide ramp for range/distance adjustment. If you don't like the outer ring, you can cut/file it off. Nice sight.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828132532/

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Well, you broke the first rule, "never shoot the donor"... grin

The Swede is a good one, but t's hard to beat the ole '06...

IIRC, Hi Standard fitted those barrels for Sears, reportedly, some were chrome lined. I've read accounts of their accuracy.

Those guns may be the ultimate sleeper, often selling for less than the value of the action.

DF

Dad put a borescope through it and says it looks pretty rough. But it shoots.

On gunbroker last summer paid $330 (local pickup, so transfer and shipping didn't exist) for it in a cheap synthetic stock. It already had a Timney trigger as well as a Leupold 4x scope. Added the 51 stock for $100 off of a WTB here. For $430 I've got a ready to hunt, accurate, good looking rifle with adjustable trigger and scoped. Using it on antelope next week in Wyoming. Hopefully.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This 338-06 I picked up here on the Classifieeds started life as a J. C. Higgins FN.

So, the action is a great one for a build. This one has a #4, 24" barrel, unknown maker, but perfect thru the Hawkeye borescope, It came with a Timney trigger, Buehler safety and steel Weaver type bases. I tweaked the bedding, painted the stock. I'm taking it deer hunting this season, shooting 225 gr. Fed Fusion bullets over H-380. It should knock'em down; probably to a job on a hog. I've posted this one already.

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a 51 30-06 I'm probably going to sell.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
One of the nicer actions in my opinion...I don't pun one but have built several custome on that action...all were great shooters...it's one of the sleepers you can get pretty cheap...
What are those scopes? The one on the left looks like a weaver but the one on the right is cool...what is that one?
They would look great in a set of Buhlers...

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The scope is a JC Higgins rifleman senior 2.5x with a crosshair which is what came with the rifle from the factory if one ordered it as a scoped rifle.
From what i've read it was made by Weaver for Sears back in the early fifties before fixed reticles were invented.
The original plates and rings were made by a company named Mashburn.
regards
keith

Attached Images
higgins_rifleman_senior.jpeg (35.01 KB, 434 downloads)
higgins_senior.jpeg (34.8 KB, 432 downloads)
higgins_.jpeg (100.44 KB, 434 downloads)
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Started to mount my scope using the original base plates and ran into a problem. the front mounting plate barrel hole threads are stripped out. The mounting plates when purchased the rifle were drilled for 1/2" centres and these are the original .860 centres. So the rifle came with a few extra holes but they get covered up by the larger length original plates.
Does the barrel have to be removed to re-tap this front hole? Options?
Thanks.

Attached Images
image.jpeg (9.28 KB, 396 downloads)
image.jpeg (9.87 KB, 402 downloads)
image.jpeg (10.22 KB, 390 downloads)
image.jpeg (11.87 KB, 379 downloads)
Last edited by thornett; 10/26/19.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a digital copy of the JC Higgins owners manual. If you need a copy pm me your email.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me, I'd remove the barrel and retap both front holes to 8-40.

It's real common to find the rear with three holes because the original rear spacing was .860" not the more common FN spacing of .500".

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
The larger screws 8-40 also involves machining the plates holes and enlarging the countersink I'm thinking?
Going to try a bottom tap and see if can get anywhere with that first. I'm up at the farm in cape Breton doing some grouse hunting this weekend. Will get back to my shop on Monday where my tools are and give it a go.
There was just a pack of coywolfs going off at dusk as I was heading back out of the woods so close the sound was so intense like a curtain of sound. They must of killed something.
I thought to myself my Cooey single shot .410 wasn't cutting it at that moment and a semi seemed like the thing to be carrying.
I'm drinking a beer now.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, you would have to enlarge the countersunk hole sin the scope base. Another option would be to use Brownell's "oversized" 6-48 screws and tap: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...versize-6-48-screw-shop-kit-prod795.aspx

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by z1r
Yes, you would have to enlarge the countersunk hole sin the scope base. Another option would be to use Brownell's "oversized" 6-48 screws and tap: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...versize-6-48-screw-shop-kit-prod795.aspx

Great solution.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the help.
Some good news stopped at a small gunsmith/retailer named Woodwise outfitters in Blockhouse Nova Scotia. He had some 6-48 screws that had the correct tapered shoulder to set down below the countersink of the original plates.
I had to trim them to length and they all tighten down nicely for me even the front one had a good purchase. I used some threadlock to keep them there.
So just have to sight in my scope now.

Thanks and regards.

Attached Images
image.jpeg (26.34 KB, 508 downloads)
Last edited by thornett; 10/28/19.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Got my JcHiggins50 rifle all together trimmed the buttstock for it wasn't flat and fitted a Sims recoil pad which I also made a white line spacer for to mimic the factory butt plate detail.
Sanded off their limbsaver logo on the recoil pad for just wasn't doing it for me.
Some penetrating oil really helps with the finish sanding of the rubber.
The original scope and rings mounted up too. Here's a link to some photos.
[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/tKP6D8t1KzMJiHm76[/img]

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
That looks really nice. Makes me want to find another original one. The one I have now has been coated, rests in a hogue stock with aluminum pillar block and A timney. It shoots lights out and is fast handling with a 1.25-4x 30mm Leupold. The 3 different ones I had were all outstanding shooters.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes it's a beauty.
Been at the local range Chester/Grant and sighted in both scopes.
The Weaver k3 60b with the post reticle find hard to be really accurate with at 100 yards. I did get 4 in the 2 inch square and the last shot was a bulls eye so I said that was sighted in.
The JC Higgins rifleman senior 2.5x has standard crosshairs which seems a lot easier to find/sight the center of the target after finding the paper at 25 yards went out to 100 yards and got 3 in the 2 inch square. Ran out of time for only had a 1/2 hour time slot for its whitetail and small game season here so the public range is somewhat busy.
I'm heading up to our farm in cape Breton on Friday to try for a buck and do some grouse and hare hunting. So far I'm 0 for 2 but I'm sure getting a appreciation for all the beautiful land that the farm sits on as I walk through the various habitats that it contains.

Attached Images
image.jpeg (21.65 KB, 387 downloads)
Last edited by thornett; 11/07/19.
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Just picked up a JC Higgins model 51 in 30-06 to go along with the model 50 I already have. It is a great looking gun that appears to have been used very little. Just ordered a Timney trigger for the 51 and some 2-pc scope mounts. The rifle came with a 1-pc Redfield type base but I do not like the windage adjustable rear and I like having the better access to the chamber offered by the 2-pc bases.

Note, I thought all JC Higgins 50/51 rifles had the .860" or so rear scope base but I was wrong. My new to me model 51 has the standard FN rear spacing of .504". I think I was told some had the .504" spacing years ago but I assumed whomever told me that was mistaken, but the mistake was obviously mine.

Last edited by VaHunter; 11/07/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The one I posted had the wider spacing, had been drilled and tapped for the std spacing. Prev owner had found steel Weaver type bases with the wider spacing and that’s what it’s wearing.

DF

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
The one I posted had the wider spacing, had been drilled and tapped for the std spacing. Prev owner had found steel Weaver type bases with the wider spacing and that’s what it’s wearing.

DF

Yep, the Model 50 that I have was drilled by "bubba" for the standard base, so it has the third hole, in between the two factory holes. I bought the correct .860 rear Warnes for it and it hides the "bubba" hole.

I am glad I waited to order the bases for the new to me model 51 until I had it in hand because I was sure it would use the same .860" rear that the model 50 did. Learn something every day.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by VaHunter

DF

Yep, the Model 50 that I have was drilled by "bubba" for the standard base, so it has the third hole, in between the two factory holes. I bought the correct .860 rear Warnes for it and it hides the "bubba" hole.

I am glad I waited to order the bases for the new to me model 51 until I had it in hand because I was sure it would use the same .860" rear that the model 50 did. Learn something every day.

I think the ones I have are steel Warnes. I wasn't sure because Weaver also makes steel bases.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
DirtFarmer,

Yes, your steel scope bases were made by Warne. I bought them new, directly from Warne.

https://warnescopemounts.com/product/m902831m/

Rick

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, Rick.

That would have been my guess, but wasn’t sure. Don’t know if Weaver steel Mauser bases come with the wide screw spacing like Warne.

I’m headed to the deer camp, that rifle loaded with 225 Fed Fusion bullets over 4320.

Those shouldn’t bounce off.

DF

Edited to add, some 225 loads are with H-380, some with IMR-4320. Gonna see which is better. I also have 180 Weldcore, 160 TTSX, 200 Fed Fusion, 200 Combined Technology, 200 Speer, 210 NPT, to try along with a good selection of mid burn rate powders. After hunting season, I'm going to check them out.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/08/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just got the latest copy of RIFLE SHOOTER Magazine and on page 8 there is a short article on the Higgins M50 telling what a great rifle it is and it's being such a great bargain etc. I wonder if that is going to make the value go up? He sure said some very nice thing about them, all of wheich we know are true.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't think enough people read RIFLE SHOOTER to make any real difference.

Great rifles, but it is too hard to beat the value of a modern T3 these days.

In fact, by the time I get my Model 50 30-06 completely squared away to my liking, I could have bought a new T3 and had a good bit of $$ left over. Then again, practicality is not the reason most of us buy old rifles (if we were honest).

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I agree, IMO there's more to it than just price. I like the old guns, steel and walnut, even steel guns in top end synthetic stocks..

If someone is just shopping price, this deal from Bass Pro/Cabelas is hard to beat.

Now, I DON'T want one, don't currently have any Salvages and not much into Chicom made Weavers, assuming that's where this one is made. From the price, probably a pretty sound bet.

Now, this rig will probably shoot and you can choose a number of popular chamberings.

Doesn't leave much excuse for price being the reason for not having a deer rifle...

DF

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I just got the latest copy of RIFLE SHOOTER Magazine and on page 8 there is a short article on the Higgins M50 telling what a great rifle it is and it's being such a great bargain etc. I wonder if that is going to make the value go up? He sure said some very nice thing about them, all of wheich we know are true.
Paul B.

Probably the value will go up in the short term, but after that issue gets thrown in the trash, value will go back to what it is.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The market has been drifting away from 98 Mausers for a while now, partly because the older shooters who actually might want 'em tend to already have 'em, and younger shooters are more interested in different stuff--like the bargain in Dirtfarmer's post.

I'm one of those older shooters, but have enough Mausers to last the rest of my life. Built this one on a Model 50 purchased for $250 from my father-in-law almost 30 years ago. It was a .270 and shot well, so I restocked it myself with a pre-inletted stock made of European walnut grown in New Zealand, which as I recall cost $100 when Bishop went out of business. Eventually shot the .270 barrel out, and since I was hurting all over for a 6.5x55 after foolishly selling a very accurate factory rifle, had Charlie Sisk rebarrel it with a Lilja turned to the same contour. The safety is a Gentry 3-position, installed by Dave a few years before he passed away, and the trigger a Timney. It shoots very well with the right loads, but am not only less interested in acquiring more Mausers at this stage (though exceptions can always be made for the right one) but haven't made a stock in so long that can't remember the last time I got out the checkering tools. That said, this is one of my favorites.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Guess I’m a senior, cause I do like that one.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

Apparently we're both seniors, though do have quite a few "modern" rifles I really like as well....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Mr thornette, Just throwing it out there, but my eyes are older than my two tapered post reticle scopes and I have gone to using electrical tape to make a "vee" about 6 inches tall with about 30-35 deg arms with a horizontal flat bottom on buff or light brown cardboard. The sight picture with a small band of white between the top of the tapered post and the bottom of the vee provide a very precise and repeatable sight picture. It ain't my idea, though, the US military used a vee target for a half a century at least.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
John, can I have dibs on Doc's rifle should you ever decide to sell it? Your original column on acquiring it was wonderfully written and one of my all-time favorites.

Greg Perry

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hi Greg,

Glad you liked the article!

I do a keep a list of "dibs" names for people who want my rifles. Have even been using it some lately, as in the past year started downsizing the collection somewhat.

Will put your name as first-in-line (since you're the first to ask!) for Doc's rifle. Probably would be among the last I'd ever sell, but you never know. Nobody in my family, or Eileen's, has any interest in hunting rifles.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Nobody in my family, or Eileen's, has any interest in hunting rifles.

I'm staring in that movie too, John. I have well over 50 rifles, and they are mostly "old school": Mauser, Springfield, or M70. At least 5 are or started out as JC Higgins M50's. Great rifles. My daughters are 28 and 26 years old respectively and have yet to propose a suitable son-in-law to me, and that's a shame. Because if they can find a good outdoorsman, that guy's gonna be the luckiest SOB ever.

Cheers,
Rex

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just found one in .270 yesterday in excellent condition. $350 OTD. Never seen or handled one till then.

Wish you guy's could convince me to buy it.....................

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krupp
I just found one in .270 yesterday in excellent condition. $350 OTD. Never seen or handled one till then.

Wish you guy's could convince me to buy it.....................

If you need convincing, maybe you do';t deserve it? Especially after five pages of glowing reviews!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the tip on the target I'll try it out next time I'm at the range.
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Mr thornette, Just throwing it out there, but my eyes are older than my two tapered post reticle scopes and I have gone to using electrical tape to make a "vee" about 6 inches tall with about 30-35 deg arms with a horizontal flat bottom on buff or light brown cardboard. The sight picture with a small band of white between the top of the tapered post and the bottom of the vee provide a very precise and repeatable sight picture. It ain't my idea, though, the US military used a vee target for a half a century at least.

Last edited by thornett; 11/28/19.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My father in law sent me a photo of his rifle marked Whitworth rifle company in 30.06 from around 1975. Made in Manchester England any idea on what type of Mauser action this is?
I started a new thread on this question so as to not get of topic away from the jc higgins 50
thanks keith

Attached Images
image.jpeg (21.68 KB, 139 downloads)
Last edited by thornett; 11/28/19.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Hi Greg,

Glad you liked the article!

I do a keep a list of "dibs" names for people who want my rifles. Have even been using it some lately, as in the past year started downsizing the collection somewhat.

Will put your name as first-in-line (since you're the first to ask!) for Doc's rifle. Probably would be among the last I'd ever sell, but you never know. Nobody in my family, or Eileen's, has any interest in hunting rifles.

Awesome. I already have your Fox Sterlingworth that you featured in "Shotguns for Wingshooting." Doc's rifle would probably mean more to me than JOC's M70 #2, just because there is such a beautiful story behind it. I'd be a good steward to its legacy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Nobody in my family, or Eileen's, has any interest in hunting rifles.

I'm staring in that movie too, John. I have well over 50 rifles, and they are mostly "old school": Mauser, Springfield, or M70. At least 5 are or started out as JC Higgins M50's. Great rifles. My daughters are 28 and 26 years old respectively and have yet to propose a suitable son-in-law to me, and that's a shame. Because if they can find a good outdoorsman, that guy's gonna be the luckiest SOB ever.

Cheers,
Rex

I've struck out on the son-in-laws so I appear to be worse off than Rex. I'm just glad to have nephews who are outdoorsmen and all around good guys. The transfers to nephews have started and will pick up the pace as I get to retirement in a a few years. More time to hunt and shoot means I need more ammo but not more rifles. Ward

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.