Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have never been bird hunting of any sort and when a co worker and good friend asked if I wanted to go to Kansas for pheasant hunting this fall. I was wondering what I should expect in terms of weather? My plan is poly undershirt, SKRE hardscrabble jacket shell jacket but it has a decent liner, coldgear midlayer and possibly add a thin fleece to wear over the coldgear.....

thoughts ?

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve hunted western KS pheasants and quail in conditions ranging from 70deg and sunny to 12deg and blowing 30mph with 1/4” of ice on all the grass. It really depends on what time of year you’re going and what the weather is doing.

My general upland hunting uniform is Carhartt double front dungarees or Wrangler brush pants and a Pendelton wool shirt. Depending on the weather I may have polypropylene or silk bottoms under my pants or nothing at all. The shirt will always have at least a Tshirt under it and maybe a surplus wool Jeep sweater. If it’s cold enough I’ll put a wool shirtjack or my Pendelton Mackinaw over all of it. Worst case horrible cold SD pheasant hunting in the late season I’ll drag my Carhartt insulated bibs over all that when the mercury dips down into the single digits. But generally I like soft layers and no big coats so that I can move freely and have the least effect on gun fit.

Flap mittens if it’s cold so I can leave just my index finger exposed. For boots I usually wear Redwing lace up work boots, my deer and elk hunting boots, insulated Mucks with pants over the tops for wet conditions, and Danner Elk guide pacs for extreme cold and snow. Pick whichever fits the conditions just like anything else. If it’s late season and possibly cold don’t forget a good hat. I like a Stormy Kromer since the flaps cover most of my ears but allow me to hear birds flushing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Kid pretty much nailed it.

Anything from sub zero to 80 degrees. And from so dry you can’t spit to so wet you’ll wonder if your clothes ever will dry out. All those conditions can be anytime during the season.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I will be there the second week of December

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Sounds like we need a campfire meetup...

I’ve hunted in snow while it thundered, and in temps where a jacket was a killer because of the heat just like the guys said.
Bring good boots for walking (not new ones.. break them in first)..

I’ve got a 53 lb Brittany that crashes through things like a shorthair but hunts close and he’s got the best nose I’ve hunted behind so I’m pretty content.
Not sure I’ll spend the gas money to run to western KS anymore... especially for that amount of gas & hotel money I can hit a good game farm and then get back in time for the game.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My gang hunts SD mid-December. It can be warm and sunny and we’ve also hunted in snow storms and -20* post storm with 15” of snow. Take all the layers you think you might need. You can always dress light.

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Agree with pretty much all of the above. You’re much better off bringing layers you may not need than being miserable and wishing you had brought them!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only layer needed for Saturday’s opener will be a T-shirt. Highs in the 70s. ☹️

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.