Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Some of you guys are thinking of the Knipco style heaters made for heating outdoor work spaces, shops etc.

That isn't what the OP is talking about.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Either way, care should be taken with any kind of gas source, temporary heat. Ventilation is key, even with propane.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This bad boy is what I’m talking about ( or similar). All 10k btu’s of goodness.

Auto strike didn’t work. Had to tilt the globe and light with match.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I had a Sears just like this when my wife and I rented an old farm house back in early 80's.
We always kept windows closed. It was Minnesota!
She died of cancer in 2011 I feel pretty good go figure.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

These type work well too in the right location where heat can be dispersed 360° safely and also are rated at 23,000btu output now.

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Had them in the house growing up as a kid but don't really know if that was an okay thing or a really bad thing. Have a couple extras and thinking about it while making preparations for upcoming cold weather. Read stuff online and it's about 50/50. What do you guys think?

If you're thinking of the free-standing ones with a round wick, they're dangerous as hell. Lotsa folks had them in deepest, darkest Appalachia when I was growing up, but all tbe houses around were old and drafty which is probably the only reason no one died. We never had one. We just shoveled more coal into the stove.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
We had one when I was a kid, in the 70’s. I can remember my dad buying the kerosene at the gas station. Is that normally where one bought kerosene?

A lot of gas stations depending on location used to have both kerosene and white gas (naptha) pumps.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not one like this:

[Linked Image from acmetoolstore.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We had one when I was a kid, in the 70’s. I can remember my dad buying the kerosene at the gas station. Is that normally where one bought kerosene?

Kerosene comes in a couple forms/grades. The "at the pump" grade is the least pure and should NEVER be used for unvented indoor heaters even with the window open. People did it all the time as they were/are unaware.

https://staroil.co.uk/what-you-should-know-about-different-grades-of-kerosene/

Indoor heaters Require 1K Kerosene and that "pure" grade is never sold at the pump, it is sold in bottles of gallon jugs and it is very expensive.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by stevelyn

A lot of gas stations depending on location used to have both kerosene and white gas (naptha) pumps.

But never 1K which is what these heaters require to operate within safety guidelines.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Ventilation is your friend, along with a CO detector.

CO detectors are required in new home construction. They are usually a combo unit that doubles as a smoke detector and a CO detector.

One must be placed within 10 feet of bedroom doors and mechanical areas.

In a remodeling situation if a wall is opened up, then code dictates that that floor must now have a Smoke/CO detector installed.

It's easy guys, just go to your local big box store or Washington Post Amazon and purchase a couple Smoke/CO combos to replace your existing single smoke detectors.

Indoor heater or no, it's a good idea to do it now.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by joken2

These type work well too in the right location where heat can be dispersed 360° safely and also are rated at 23,000btu output now.

I use that kind in my garage when it drops below 20 degrees. It works great and puts out quite a bit of heat.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one is running an unvented flame of any kind indoors for sure have a carbon monoxide detector. Even then don't risk it in sleeping quarters. Is one willing to bet his life on an electronic device? If one develops even the slightest of headaches, shut it down and get to fresh air immediately. CO has a much greater affinity for hemoglobin than oxygen, so ones hemes are quickly saturated with CO and cannot adsorb oxygen. CO really hangs on, so it's a slow process for ones system to get back to normal where it can pick up O2 again.

One does not get a redo with life, and there's still sh-t I want to do.

Cookie uses a Little Buddy to knock the chill off in our dome tents. Even with it's supposed safety systems and the tent's meshed panels, it's never on for more than 5 minutes.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/12/19.

1Minute
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
If one is running an unvented flame of any kind indoors for sure have a carbon monoxide detector. Even then don't risk it in sleeping quarters. Are you willing to bet your life on an electronic device? If one develops even the slightest of headaches, shut it down and get to fresh air immediately. CO has a much greater affinity for hemoglobin than oxygen, so ones hemes are quickly saturated. It really hangs on, so it's a slow process for ones system to get back to normal where it can assimilate oxygen. One does not get a redo with life.

Why "if running an unvented flame"?

Why not bring your house up to fire/safety codes and put one in regardless if you have an open flame heater or not.

Money well spent.
https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-210260...ative=165953&creativeASIN=B00PC5S0PA

Last edited by steve4102; 10/12/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There are no free rides, and with only a few exceptions (like maybe nitro-methane, burning magnesium under water, and explosives) all that burns on our planet consumes atmospheric oxygen. Methane, ethane, propane, butane, kerosene, alcohols, gasoline, wood, coal, etc are all carbon based. If the combustion residues/gases can escape our enclosed space via a chimney or vent of some sort, the bad stuff leaves ones enclosure and atmospheric air of the typical composition seeps in via unsealed avenues with life being good. If there is no avenue of escape, those toxins accumulate in our room until ones flame is literally starved to death. When O2 begins to get short, combustion keeps going, but it will generate CO as opposed to the normal CO2. Life ends.

Put a lighted candle in a jar and screw on the lid. Ones flame does not last long.

That's why with even a wood stove we have a chimney and an intake to bring in outside air.

I'm old and recall a time when power was out for days due to a heavy snow event. The old man brought a burning charcoal grill inside as a heat source. I also remember getting weary and suffering a severe headache. Headaches are an extremely rare event for me. We're lucky the whole family lived through that night.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/12/19.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I use one just like that to heat a small workshop I have when it gets really cold. It's got a big electric heater, but the kerosene heater heats up a lot faster and is warmer. I buy kerosene at the local farm store. It's pricey, but I don't burn much, so it's not too bad.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by steve4102

Kerosene comes in a couple forms/grades. The "at the pump" grade is the least pure and should NEVER be used for unvented indoor heaters even with the window open. People did it all the time as they were/are unaware.

Indoor heaters Require 1K Kerosene and that "pure" grade is never sold at the pump, it is sold in bottles of gallon jugs and it is very expensive.

K-1 grade Kerosene most certainly is sold "at the pump" at gas stations. Not many have it anymore but it still is at some. It is stored in separate tanks and pumped through different independant pumps (clearly marked K-1) than Diesel and home heating fuel oil.

But never 1K which is what these heaters require to operate within safety guidelines.

Not many do offer it anymore but below is a link to a list of a few brand name gas stations that offer K-1 "at the pump" at some locations and I know of few more locally owned private branded stations that still sell it "at the pump", as well.

(Matter of fact there were lines of people at local stations with K-1 pumps waiting their turn to fill kerosene cans during the lengthy widespread power outage in winter ice storm of 2009 -- I was one of them.}

https://firstquarterfinance.com/gas-stations-with-kerosene-near-me/

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 1minute

There are no free rides, and with only a few exceptions (like maybe nitro-methane, burning magnesium under water, and explosives) all that burns on our planet consumes atmospheric oxygen. Methane, ethane, propane, butane, kerosene, alcohols, gasoline, wood, coal, etc are all carbon based. If the combustion residues/gases can escape our enclosed space via a chimney or vent of some sort, the bad stuff leaves ones enclosure and atmospheric air of the typical composition seeps in via unsealed avenues with life being good. If there is no avenue of escape, those toxins accumulate in our room until ones flame is literally starved to death. When O2 begins to get short, combustion keeps going, but it will generate CO as opposed to the normal CO2. Life ends.

Put a lighted candle in a jar and screw on the lid. Ones flame does not last long.

That's why with even a wood stove we have a chimney and an intake to bring in outside air.

I'm old and recall a time when power was out for days due to a heavy snow event. The old man brought a burning charcoal grill inside as a heat source. I also remember getting weary and suffering a severe headache. Headaches are an extremely rare event for me. We're lucky the whole family lived through that night.

Like I said.

Why not bring your house up to fire/safety codes and put one in regardless if you have an open flame heater or not.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

K-1 grade Kerosene most certainly is sold "at the pump" at gas stations. Not many have it anymore but it still is at some. It is stored in separate tanks and pumped through different independant pumps (clearly marked K-1) than Diesel and home heating fuel oil.

Not many do offer it anymore but below is a link to a list of a few brand name gas stations that offer K-1 "at the pump" at some locations and I know of few more locally owned private branded stations that still sell it "at the pump", as well.

(Matter of fact there were lines of people at local stations with K-1 pumps waiting their turn to fill kerosene cans during the lengthy widespread power outage in winter ice storm of 2009 -- I was one of them.}

https://firstquarterfinance.com/gas-stations-with-kerosene-near-me/

See if it is dyed red?

The first grade is designated as 1-K. This is pure, high energy version that is slightly yellow in color to clear. By weight it has a maximum content of sulfur of 0.04 percent. This makes it possible to burn this substance without having a flue or other venting method. It does not produce a number of fumes or impurities and residence should remain safe from air quality related concerns.

One very important thing to note, however, is that this is hardly the case with options that have been dyed red. Even if they fall within this same grade, they are in no way to be considered pure. They will produce far more fumes and impurities when burned, and should not be used in areas that lack flues or other acceptable methods of venting.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
The best unvented kerosene heaters still produce noticeable odor and they all produce carbon monoxide. Just my opinion, but it’s only September. I would do whatever is necessary to install an outside vented system of some kind, be it kero, propane or wood, before I went into winter planning on heating with an indoor, unvented kerosene heater.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

282 members (160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 2UP, 28 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.