Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
So.....all along it wasn't teenagers doing all the wasteful blasting.....causing ammo shortages.

It was frustrated boomers.

Figures.

There's so much more truth to that than you know...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Proven again that I can gain no ground reloading:
I bought a Loadmaster in 9mm. I figured I could load up several thousand and have them when I need them. No damned way, NO DAMNED WAY! For the love of God I can load up a damned bucket full and I will shoot it all, every round, in a weekend. My G26 and my Sig P250 subcompact are getting one hell of a workout.

I had the same experience with 223 when I tried to load a supply. I bought 3000 bullets and powder and primers. I just could not get ahead of the curve, the AR-15's just got hungrier. But I figured this is a progressive, yeah, nope. It's like giving a beer drinking alcoholic a bottle of Jim Beam.

There is no hope for me, the compulsion and addiction is just too much.

I am amazed that after all the time you've spent here you don't see the cure(s).

Anything other than autojammers.
Cast bullets (home made)
Lord Black

As example, get yourself a dozen different guns/calibers etc. Include a flintlock. And a buffalo gun. Moulds.

Save the autos for when zombies or maybe a rabid dem show up.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Hmm.

Still cast some bullets, but find the time spent less worthwhile.

As for hunting not being worth the cost, here's the breakdown of our last elk, killed by Eileen:

Any Montana resident of 62+ (we both qualify) or over can buy a Montana "combination" license for $35. (f younger, it costs $85.) This includes an elk tag, deer tag, black bear tag, and fishing and upland bird licenses except turkey. Bought separarely, the general elk tag costs $15 for residents, but let's call the combo tag $10.

She was called by a local rancher for a cow elk damage hunt one day in early October of 2017. We took the F350 because the Tacoma was too small to tote an elk. The total drive was 28 miles, which in the F350 took about two gallons of gas, about $6.

The ,308 Winchester cartridge she used cost around 80 cents, for one 60-cent 130-grain TTSX, 45 grains of IMR4895, and a CCI 2oo primer. (The case was an RWS, which apparently last forever.)

Total cost around 17 bucks, which for around 170 pounds of boned elk meat was about 10 cents a pound.

We do "pay" a little more for deer and antelope meat, maybe 50 cents a pound.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you caint put a price on a hunt . cost me 20.00 dollars every time I shoot a bolt at game

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28
You’ll tire of it at some point.

Seems like in 37 years I haven't.

Nothing wrong with blowing lead, Well as long as you ain't doin' it with Goosey................

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Much as I understand the satisfaction of doing it myself, I no longer reload 9mm.

I found that after buying the powder, bullets and primers, total cost was actually a little more than turning all my brass over a local guy who reloads for a living and supplies his own components.

$200/thousand for him to do it,

$55 lb for powder
$55/1000 for primers
$120/1000 bullets =
$230/thousand for me to do it.

Got better things to do with my time.

that's true some ammo just isn't worth the time and cost to do it your self

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Some shooters reload to shoot...………..some shoot to reload.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I reload rifle ammo for accurate loads. I also reload my revolvers. I won’t mess around with reloading pistol ammo as I shoot too much of it, and I want some time to do other things.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I started reloading I could save %50 over the factory loads. That's no longer the case. The only thing I load for now are center fire rifles and only because I have the tools to do so and can tailor a load specifically for top accuracy in each rifle. Otherwise, it isn't worth the time.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Hmm.

Still cast some bullets, but find the time spent less worthwhile.

As for hunting not being worth the cost, here's the breakdown of our last elk, killed by Eileen:

Any Montana resident of 62+ (we both qualify) or over can buy a Montana "combination" license for $35. (f younger, it costs $85.) This includes an elk tag, deer tag, black bear tag, and fishing and upland bird licenses except turkey. Bought separarely, the general elk tag costs $15 for residents, but let's call the combo tag $10.

She was called by a local rancher for a cow elk damage hunt one day in early October of 2017. We took the F350 because the Tacoma was too small to tote an elk. The total drive was 28 miles, which in the F350 took about two gallons of gas, about $6.

The ,308 Winchester cartridge she used cost around 80 cents, for one 60-cent 130-grain TTSX, 45 grains of IMR4895, and a CCI 2oo primer. (The case was an RWS, which apparently last forever.)

Total cost around 17 bucks, which for around 170 pounds of boned elk meat was about 10 cents a pound.

We do "pay" a little more for deer and antelope meat, maybe 50 cents a pound.

That is an amazing "best case scenario" for certain. Certainly the exception rather than the norm.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might be the exception rather than the rule for hunters that don't live in rural areas..... My wife and I are coming up on our 22nd hunting season together..... land owner deer tags free, 10.00 for bear...... we do our own processing so the cost of freezer wrap and electricity to run extra refrigerator to age the meat in .....

We have eaten 6 deer from last season, just bought a few pounds of ground beef yesterday to make spaghetti sauce with today..... goal is to harvest 8 deer this year so we don't run out. Our "thing" is being trophy meat hunters. We are in it for the groceries.

Been reloading for 40 something years now..... not sure how to figure cost per round but I have enough components to last way longer that I will...

As an aside if you want to up your venison cooking game try a Sous Vide machine about 100.00 these days.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started reloading on my older brother's press when I was 14. I guess I got into it purely out of my interest in guns rather than the thought of savings.
When I got out of the service, I got into it primarily for savings. Big mistake. I spent way more money than I would have buying shells. But I had more ammo to shoot, and more accurate ammo, tailored to each rifle I loaded for. Heck, I had three different 30-06 loads for three different guns!
The more I got into it, the more I spent, but the more I enjoyed it. Where some find it boring and tedious, I find it relaxing. Turning off the world for a little while to do something I enjoy doing.
Same reason most of us hunt, or ride motorcycles, or work on old cars.
I spend more money, but I've got more and better ammunition, which allows me more shooting and more relaxing time! laugh
Kind of a perpetual machine for stress.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I started in 1982 with a Lee Loader in 44 mag. In not too long I found an ancient Lyman "C" press and an old Lyman scale that was not magnetically dampened. I made my own dippers from fired cases, copper wire and a bit of solder. Then I got a .430 mold to cast bullets.

On and on it went until now I have a basement full of stuff for reloading.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I started reloading on my older brother's press when I was 14. I guess I got into it purely out of my interest in guns rather than the thought of savings.
When I got out of the service, I got into it primarily for savings. Big mistake. I spent way more money than I would have buying shells. But I had more ammo to shoot, and more accurate ammo, tailored to each rifle I loaded for. Heck, I had three different 30-06 loads for three different guns!
The more I got into it, the more I spent, but the more I enjoyed it. Where some find it boring and tedious, I find it relaxing. Turning off the world for a little while to do something I enjoy doing.
Same reason most of us hunt, or ride motorcycles, or work on old cars.
I spend more money, but I've got more and better ammunition, which allows me more shooting and more relaxing time! laugh
Kind of a perpetual machine for stress.
7mm

Yes^^^^^ what he said. I can "get away" in my gun room and listen to whatever music I want. I can cast bullets ( well ventilated by an exhaust fan/hood that renews the room's air every 15 seconds), reload to my heart's content or just sit, listen to music and sip coffee.

98% of my center fire rifles have never seen a factory round, none of my center fire revolvers have.

Most recently the 700VLS .243 shot three different factory brands (red, white and green boxes) to prove that my ammo would shoot inside the best group of the big three. The factory stuff was free so . . . . .

Anyways, when someone asks what ammo I use I always say "Mine!" Guys at work ask me "How much to reload me some xx-xx" and I always quote a bit more than the best store bought. "Well for Christ's sake I can buy it at ________ cheaper! I thought you said you could reload for less than half!!!"

I always answer with the question "My time is worth nothing to you?" Most just shrug and walk away, a select few have been allowed into the inner sanctom for lessons, but none other than blood family are allowed "unsupervised visitation".

RJ

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Now when people ask "What's the best ammo for _________ in my xx-xx?" I wonder why they don't reload.

Had a co-worker call me yesterday asking to use my range, "Sure c' mon out" He came, shot twice showed me his target and left. I'm thinking, if you reloaded, maybe you'd shoot more and better and your son might be more interested in shooting too . . . . .

RJ

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I save a lot of money per box of rifle ammo like .270 Win. , .243 and .223. The reason is only cause much of the bullets I have were bought long long time ago, like the 1,000 .277 Rem. 130 gr bullets for $73 / 1,000, and powder, from Pats reloading was ,military surplus for $64 /8 lb. jug. I even have some H870 powder I payed $24/ 8 lb jug but hardly used it. It all still works well but if I ever use it up, I will likely just buy a few boxes ever year and be done with it.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My first reloading experience was reloading a type 99 Arisaka using a lee loader. I couldn't have afforded to shoot it otherwise.

This year I shot a lot of action pistol at my club. I bought 9mm at Walmart. I picked up my brass. This winter I'll do a bunch of reloading as winters are long and I need something to do. Every few years I load up a few years of pistol. I was a bit short this year due to more shooting than usual.

Reloading is a time consuming activity that gives many a lot of pleasure. I'm not sure where I'd get some 110g Barnes TSX 300 Blackout loads for my AR other than rolling my own.

I have a lot of firearms in chamberings that that are not main stream. Being able to reload makes it affordable and/or even possible to shoot them.

Last edited by Szumi; 10/12/19.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Proven again that I can gain no ground reloading:
I bought a Loadmaster in 9mm. I figured I could load up several thousand and have them when I need them. No damned way, NO DAMNED WAY! For the love of God I can load up a damned bucket full and I will shoot it all, every round, in a weekend. My G26 and my Sig P250 subcompact are getting one hell of a workout.

I had the same experience with 223 when I tried to load a supply. I bought 3000 bullets and powder and primers. I just could not get ahead of the curve, the AR-15's just got hungrier. But I figured this is a progressive, yeah, nope. It's like giving a beer drinking alcoholic a bottle of Jim Beam.

There is no hope for me, the compulsion and addiction is just too much.
you don't surprise me there at all. This from someone that used to load about 20K rounds of 223 a year

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why load your own? There are a lot of pros and cons of course, and they can be debated long after hell has frozen.

Cost/savings?
Availability?
Quality?

Sure. It is an enjoyable hobby that allows inroads to all angles. It allows me to shoot such things as the .25-20 SS. I can get about 7,000 loads from a pound of powder with the .22GTC and 175 bullets from a pound of lead. And I'll guarantee my handloads for the .45-70 and .416 Rigby are A) cheaper than factory ammo and B) more accurate. Fact is I've never loaded a cartridge for any gun that when all was said and done, was not superior to factory ammo across the board.

And there are still things I haven't done after almost 50 years at the bench. What's not to like?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scott_arthur
Yea, right. Try buying ammo for my .41Mag, 444 Marlin, 22 Hornet, 45/70, .410 & 17 REM.! The only way I can afford to shoot & enjoy these is to reload 'em.

Scott, I'm with you man! Here's some of my cost per box:

44spl 165 Lead - $10.07 / 50
30-M1 110 SP - $11.51 / 50
270W 150 SierraGK - $14.31 /20
303B 174 FMJBT - $12.57 /20
30/06 180 RemCL - $13.32 / 20
8mm Mauser 200 Speer - $11.75 / 20
9.3x62 286 NPT - $30.85 / 20
458WM 450 Swift"A" - $39.26 / 20
458WM 450 Barnes Solid - $46.93 / 20

12 ga 1oz Target/Dove Load $5.39 / 25
28 ga 3/4oz Target/Dove Load $5.14 / 25

Cost savings ??? Compare those costs above to factory:

$19,99 - HORNADY AMMO 44 SPL 165gr FTX CRITICAL-DEF. 20/BX

$33.99 - HORNADY AMMO 8x57 MAUSER 195gr SP 20/BX

$78.99 - FEDERAL AMMO 9.3x62 286gr SW A-FRAME (C/S) 20/bx

$96.99 - HORNADY AMMO 458 WINCHESTER 500gr DGX BONDED 20/bx

$143.99 - Nosler 458 Winchester Magnum 500 Grain Solid 20/bx

$114.99 - REMINGTON STS 28ga 2dram .75oz 1200fps #8 250/cs

Ray
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.