Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14196510 10/12/19
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wanted to make a short post to let you guys know how my diet is going. The big news is that I now weigh 175 and 14 months ago I weighed 330. The next biggest news is that for several weeks I have been eating lots of carb rich foods. I am not talking about processed crap and candy bars and soda's though.

I am basically moving toward a whole foods plant based diet with no oils or other kinds of fats when eating carbs. I am eating potatoes,beans,more fruit, whole grain rice,and oats,and lots of big salads with every kind of vegetable. I have only ate meat 2 days out of the last 20.

This whole journey has been to learn what is the best diet for a human. There is a lot of info to take in and seemingly contradictory info about carbs,fats,and weight loss but the best we can do is get all the info possible and try to glean the truth from it all.

I had started having days on low carb of very little energy when I tried the whole foods carbs. As always I weigh myself every day and have still been losing weight but with twice the energy level as before.

Anybody dieting should at least look into all the info possible and do some research on whole food diets.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congratulations! I weighed in yesterday. I've lost 20 pounds so far.👍

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Congrats, that’s an accomplishment!!! I’ve been lucky. Weigh 190, about ten lbs more than I did when I got of high school

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
down 17lbs.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Interesting.

I've always been an athlete and still train hard. Carbs have always been a big part of my diet except when i would need to cut weight for a fight....and then they were limited for only a relatively short period of time. I'm not a big believer in the idea of "this is the only way a healthy human should eat" diet fad. I do believe there are some basic rules but when conditions of the body change, the demands on a body change, and/or the needs of the body change, the way a person eats to take care of those conditions/demands/needs may change.

Congrats and I hope you continue to have success!

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Interesting.

I've always been an athlete and still train hard. Carbs have always been a big part of my diet except when i would need to cut weight for a fight....and then they were limited for only a relatively short period of time. I'm not a big believer in the idea of "this is the only way a healthy human should eat" diet fad. I do believe there are some basic rules but when conditions of the body change, the demands on a body change, and/or the needs of the body change, the way a person eats to take care of those conditions/demands/needs may change.

Congrats and I hope you continue to have success!

That sounds like a very sensible approach. I've always said that the best diet will obviously contain the best quality,most nutrient dense foods possible while cutting out anything that is doing harm to us. That should be obvious to anyone,but learning what our body needs and doesn't can be quite controversial.

I don't know that even one particular diet would be best for anybody,but as you say,I do think some things should be obviously bad to anyone, like processed foods and processed sugars.

What I am doing right now is carbs with no fats. I won't eat oils or even lean meats right now with my carbs. It is sort of an experiment,as has been this whole diet for the last 14 months. I don't necessarily think meat is bad but I do think some of the things we put in our meat and the way we treat it makes it unhealthy,and that most of us would do much better to eat less meat and better quality wild meat whenever possible.

When I eat meats though,I am not eating any carb rich foods even on the same day. I'm not saying this is necessary,just what I am doing now based on what I am learning.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Inspiring. Keep the info coming.

We cheated last night with chocolate cake and ice cream... Not recommended, but, damn it was fun!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Congratulations on taking control of your life. You are an inspiration to others, and that's probably the definition of a life well-lived.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Good going. After my knee and hip replacement in 2018, I had swollen ankles and knee. I finally got off my back and went on a KETO diet, lost 10 pounds, significantly reduced swelling and gained energy and thought clarity. I have fallen off the KETO diet, but I am exercising enough to keep me going in a good way.

Keep up the good work.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Congratulations on taking control of your life. You are an inspiration to others, and that's probably the definition of a life well-lived.

I'm not sure if one year of right living makes up for 20 years of not living right,but there's no choice but to start wherever you find yourself. People tell me all the time how proud I should be for what I have accomplished with my diet and health plan in such a short time,but I am just as ashamed that I let myself go for so long. It does give me a lot more compassion though for overweight people because I know just how easy it creeps up on you and takes over your life.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My hat is off to you, I need to get rid of some fat belly.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
You're making it way too complicated. You need oils, fats and animal protein in your diet. Vegan diets can be very dangerous unless you don't know exactly what you're doing. Eat what you like to eat but if you want to keep the weight off and avoid sugar (even in fruit/alcohol), white rice. white potatoes and anything with white flour in it as much as possible. Also be physically active as much as possible.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by victoro
You're making it way too complicated. You need oils, fats and animal protein in your diet. Vegan diets can be very dangerous unless you don't know exactly what you're doing. Eat what you like to eat but if you want to keep the weight off and avoid sugar (even in fruit/alcohol), white rice. white potatoes and anything with white flour in it as much as possible. Also be physically active as much as possible.

Not complicated at all. I do get animal protein,healthy oils,and healthy fats in my diet. I just won't load a potato up with butter,cheese,sour cream and bacon and eat it.

While I do appreciate the concern and potential advice,I would like to know the knowledge base and experience you base that advice on. I don't discount any advice but I do get all kinds of advice from folks that think they know what is right but with no evidence in their life that they are doing it.

I can't begin to tell you how many over weight unhealthy people have taken time to caution me on my improper diet.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

What I am doing right now is carbs with no fats. I won't eat oils or even lean meats right now with my carbs. It is sort of an experiment,as has been this whole diet for the last 14 months.

When I eat meats though,I am not eating any carb rich foods even on the same day. I'm not saying this is necessary,just what I am doing now based on what I am learning.

First, congratulations, not many people can do what you did.

I am curious about the basis for not eating fats or meat at the same time you eat carbs, as you say above. I've always read and heard that it's good to eat protein with high glycemic carbs (like potatoes) to modulate the blood sugar spike and resulting insulin dump that can result from eating carbs alone.

Just curious about what yiour experiment is based on?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I read that vegetarians live 2-3 years longer than meat eaters.

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yes, those really good last two years.....

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"I just won't load a potato up with butter,cheese,sour cream and bacon and eat it."

Everything you're not eating is what's good for you.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Smoke pole
I can't even remember the particular source but I have seen some that seem to indicate that when fats and carbs are consumed at the same time ,then fats will be stored because the body will use the carbs as the primary fuel. Some other studies indicate that it is extremely hard to gain weight on high carb diets which do not contain fats. The changing of a carb into a stored fat is over 30% less efficient than storing a fat as a fat. Fats eaten can even be tracked with markers and traced in the body to storage points. Fat composition can even be analyzed to see what kinds of fats you have been eating,whether mostly processed oils or dairy fats,or animal fats.

Since I am still losing body fat I decided to experiment a little and for about a month have had very little fat in my diet but lots of high carb whole foods in my diet. I eat a lot of beans,and oats,some potatoes,lots of huge salads, lots of fruit and berries,some nuts and dried fruits.some yogurt.

Some of those vegan diets and carnivore diets and all that go just plain nuts. What I am trying to do is to look into healthy diets of populations all around the world,analyze their health and life span and incorporate as much of their diet as I can into mine. There is a lot of opposing ideas and studies. I do however think that when we look at the statistical data which holds the longest record as being sustainable and healthy we can see a huge change at the historical point where humans started to chemically change foods to preserve them,and especially with today's science and chemical knowledge,anyone should see that it would be best to avoid all processed foods.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
"I just won't load a potato up with butter,cheese,sour cream and bacon and eat it."

Everything you're not eating is what's good for you.

Maybe,maybe not. I thought so a while ago but have changed my opinion after a lot more study and thought. I could show you a mountain of data to prove how bad some of those things and the processed chemicals in some of those things are for you. You could show me a bunch of stuff showing how good it is for you. I've read both. I tend to think that the preponderance of the evidence weighs heavily toward one side,the side I am attempting to follow.

I ate a plain salt only potato last night loaded up with plain salt only pinto beans with a half chopped red onion and some home made salsa.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
......anyone should see that it would be best to avoid all processed foods.

Thanks R H, that makes sense, especially that last part. And to be clear, the advice I've seen from nutritionists was to eat protein, not fat with carbs to modulate blood sugar response. Apparently, the protein slows digestion of the carbs.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
411 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 42 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.