Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by GregW
H414 is a nasty dirty temp sensitive powder....

Sooooo many better ones out there....

You obviously haven't shot much H414, seems pretty clean burning in my rifle and accuracy is excellent. That said .7 fps per degree is not a horrible thing and just work up your loads when the temperature is a bit warmer than you will be hunting in. Another nice thing about it is that you can generally find it on the shelf, which means a lot more to me than a powder like Big Game ( which I would really like to burn some of) that is unobtainable without a hazmat fee.

Laffin'...

I've shot a bunch. I quit it after a 7-08 load went bonkers in the cold. It's temperature sensitive more than I'm willing to run. In Texas you likely won't ever have a problem with that though....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
The charge can vary rifle to rifle, so that's irrelevant. What's important is what the chrono says.

I very much agree with this notion. Let the chrono dictate the load, not necessarily a manual or "internet load", although they are good indicators of where to start. A rifle/load will sometimes agree with expectations, sometimes not. I worked up five loads in the last two weeks that performed right on the money with regards to charge weights and velocities, which sort of surprised me. My odds are usually not that good.

I switched to a Magnetospeed unit recently and changed the way I do things. I'll just load the stepped-up charges about a half-grain apart and bang them through the rifle to find the appropriate velocity window, then I go home and load differing OAL batches for groups the next go-round. That way, I don't have too many overcharge rounds to pull bullets from. It's quick, as the Magnetospeed isn't difficult to set up. This works best when you are bringing multiple rifles to the range each trip.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Load data for 7mm 150 gr. Scenar bullets in 7mm-08 is rare. The advice I was given from several CF members who are Lapua brand connoisseurs was to work up using Berger load data for their 150 gr. classic hunter bullets.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rickt300
H414 is a nasty dirty temp sensitive powder....

Sooooo many better ones out there....

You obviously haven't shot much H414, seems pretty clean burning in my rifle and accuracy is excellent. That said .7 fps per degree is not a horrible thing and just work up your loads when the temperature is a bit warmer than you will be hunting in. Another nice thing about it is that you can generally find it on the shelf, which means a lot more to me than a powder like Big Game ( which I would really like to burn some of) that is unobtainable without a hazmat fee.

Laffin'...

I've shot a bunch. I quit it after a 7-08 load went bonkers in the cold. It's temperature sensitive more than I'm willing to run. In Texas you likely won't ever have a problem with that though....

Considering Winchester uses 760 (same as H414) in their factory loads you would have to consider your odd experience an anomaly.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LNF150
Load data for 7mm 150 gr. Scenar bullets in 7mm-08 is rare. The advice I was given from several CF members who are Lapua brand connoisseurs was to work up using Berger load data for their 150 gr. classic hunter bullets.

Side note, Berger does not use pressure tested data, they use Quick Load.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
608 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.