Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
......anyone should see that it would be best to avoid all processed foods.

Thanks R H, that makes sense, especially that last part. And to be clear, the advice I've seen from nutritionists was to eat protein, not fat with carbs to modulate blood sugar response. Apparently, the protein slows digestion of the carbs.

I wouldn't doubt that. I'm doing about the same thing eating lots of fiber with the carbs. I'm just in the extreme to experiment with as little fat in my diet as possible.I'm trying to see if my body will use it's own fat stores even when I am intentionally over eating carbs. I am also increasing my physical activity levels with longer bike rides and I have more energy over all. So far it seems to be working. I am getting leaner and more vascular after just one month and I can see an increase in strength,loss of weight,but particularly an increase in stamina and recovery.

Just to clarify,when I say carbs,I mean only whole food,plant based carbs.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 10/12/19.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cant remember your other posts are you incorporating fasting into your lifestyle change?

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Cant remember your other posts are you incorporating fasting into your lifestyle change?

Yes sir,.and that in itself can be very beneficial even without a change in diet or exercise. I've tried to use every tool available to get healthy. I fast 16 hours a day about 90% of the time. If I am having a particularly high physical activity day,and feel like I need to eat before then,I will.but it isn't often at all. I sometimes fast around 20 hours a day but rarely over 24. I worked up to it and eat if I feel like I need to. My whole approach is to try to eat in such a way that I feel good and get healthy,not necessarily in such a way as to lose weight as fast as possible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figured you had but couldn't remember. I been slowly incorporating fasting into my week over the last several months. Twice maybe three times a week Ill go 16-20 hours at a shot. Havent lost that much weight but have found I have more energy and lost several inches in the waist and other areas.. Down two pant sizes.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
R
R
I have lost 47 lbs in 6 1/2 months on Keto , every thing you need to know is at Diet Dr .com . Easiest thing I have ever done , and this was while on prednisone ( steroid ) for a kidney disease. I feel great .

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Rem1903a3
I have lost 47 lbs in 6 1/2 months on Keto , every thing you need to know is at Diet Dr .com . Easiest thing I have ever done , and this was while on prednisone ( steroid ) for a kidney disease. I feel great .

Great to hear. I've never been on anything specific except low carbs in the beginning. I likely was in ketosis during the majority of my weight loss. So far I feel a little better in general eating whole food carbs but I am glad for anything that is working for anyone. I would only caution to keep the goal feeling good and being healthy more than trying to lose weight. Weight loss should be the symptom of a healthy diet,not the goal of any stupid fad that comes along. you can lose weight on nothing but Twinkies if you eat fewer calories,but you sure as hell won't get healthy on a Twinkies only diet.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Doing good RH. I seem to be stuck at -75 right now. Got to get a better grip on things. Had a rough summer with not much movement. Need my other hip replaced. Doing what I can do. My diet is a lot like yours has been except I eat more meat. Isn’t being surrounded by experts great? Those that can’t do teach. I want at least another 25 off.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I wouldn't doubt that. I'm doing about the same thing eating lots of fiber with the carbs. I'm just in the extreme to experiment with as little fat in my diet as possible.I'm trying to see if my body will use it's own fat stores even when I am intentionally over eating carbs. I am also increasing my physical activity levels with longer bike rides and I have more energy over all. So far it seems to be working. I am getting leaner and more vascular after just one month and I can see an increase in strength,loss of weight,but particularly an increase in stamina and recovery.

You would so help many of us out by being more defined about the foods you eat and those you don't, you say "Lots of fiber with the carbs" what exactly are you eating, you also mention "bean" there are dozens of choices of "beans" , I don't care to get a degree in this eating, I would just like to simply drop a few pounds and you seem to have found the keys, please be more exact about what you are eating, thanks for all of your help in this.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I found that a low carb diet works well for me, the most dramatic weight/fat loss occurred when when I went from 2 drinks/beers a day to that much per week. We eats lots of fish, green veg, avocados and lean meats. Daily vigorous exercise builds endurance, energy and for me is a huge motivator. Cheat days are OK and become a real treat.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I now weigh 175 and 14 months ago I weighed 330.

Congrats, that is a tremendous improvement.

I had started having days on low carb of very little energy when I tried the whole foods carbs.

Your insulin response is probably more nearly where it should be now, which is a good thing.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jimy

You would so help many of us out by being more defined about the foods you eat and those you don't, you say "Lots of fiber with the carbs" what exactly are you eating, you also mention "bean" there are dozens of choices of "beans" , I don't care to get a degree in this eating, I would just like to simply drop a few pounds and you seem to have found the keys, please be more exact about what you are eating, thanks for all of your help in this.

Right now I don't eat bread in any form but mostly because it would be hard for me to get a good healthy bread. I don't eat anything processed except that I drink almond milk. I have quit dairy but it might not be forever. I am not eating much meat at all. I've ate beef and pork on 2 days out of about 20 and no meat otherwise.

I eat all kinds of vegetables as close to raw as possible including all kinds of beans. I've been eating a lot of oats lately and have had 3 bowels of oatmeal today so far with banana, blueberries, blackberries, cinnamon,and some dates to sweeten it. I'll likely have some Kale salad with broccoli and cauliflower,and whatever other vegetables I can find. Later I might have a potato with some beans and salsa, no added oils or dairy or meat fats in any of it, except for a small amount of olive oil dressing in the salad and even that is more like a spoonful now as compared to a quarter cup when I started eating salads.

All this diet of mine has been an experiment to see what foods would help heal my body and make me feel better as well as lose weight. I just wanted to share my recent carb eating with some who may be doing low carbs because I did low carbs for the majority of my weight loss. I've only been doing whole food carbs about a month but this is the best month I've had in about the previous 6-8 as far as feeling good and having plenty of energy, So far today I've hung some sheet rock and rode my bike 15 miles. Just stopped for another bowel of oats and back to rock hanging.

Just wanted to add that I'm 51 now and weighed over 330 at age 50. I am lighter,faster,and stronger,than I was when I played high school football. I could barely walk last year and was on pain pills and injections as well as blood pressure meds. I don't use any meds now and my blood pressure is perfect. Knee pain and back pain 99% gone.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 10/12/19.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well done. I am down sugarless and carbless 35 pounds in 5 months. My wife running the same and we are both feeling better than ever.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've rediscovered ice cream sandwiches but I'm down to 3% cottage cheese.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm down 53 pounds in 4 1/2 months and seem to be stuck there for a few weeks. Did it with minimal exercise due to a slow healing foot injury.
Would like to lose about 20 more.
Thanks for the update RHC, you've been a good inspiration for me.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Big congrats to everyone losing weight!! I remember posting here,and how excited I was when I weighed 330 and had just lost my first 20 lbs.Like any long journey,it takes a while but you are on the trip the moment you step out the door.

I think my low fat eating from the start helped me now that I know more of the science behind weight loss. I studied the keto diet but never ate nearly as much fat as they recommend. I lost the majority of my weight on low fat meats and green vegetables of every type.

This new high carb low fat diet has been doing good for me for about a month,but if I start to gain weight I'll vary it up. I am sort of in the middle as to what I think is healthy. I don't know that any extreme is healthy and it seems to me that the healthiest diet would be the most varied diet of healthy foods. Learning what is healthy and what is not is the catch,but we just have to use good sense and monitor ourselves to see how our diet is effecting us. I basically fell asleep at the switch for about 20 years and didn't see how my diet was effecting me all those years that I was gaining weight and getting sicker and sicker.I just accepted it as normal,and it is normal if you eat a standard American diet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rte
Originally Posted by victoro
You're making it way too complicated. You need oils, fats and animal protein in your diet. Vegan diets can be very dangerous unless you don't know exactly what you're doing. Eat what you like to eat but if you want to keep the weight off and avoid sugar (even in fruit/alcohol), white rice. white potatoes and anything with white flour in it as much as possible. Also be physically active as much as possible.

I read that vegetarians live 2-3 years longer than meat eaters.

The only animal products that do NOT have a longevity penalty are eggs and fish. (Frequent) red meat has the highest penalty, due to the by products created by our digestive process.

I eat lots of eggs, lots of fish, and a fair amount of other animal protein. Life's too short to live without a good variety of beef, deer, elk and pork....

I mean, give up bacon for a few weeks more life? Get real......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
What we can say, is that what works for one, may not work for another. Keep the nose to the grindstone kiddos.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by rte
You're making it way too complicated. You need oils, fats and animal protein in your diet. Vegan diets can be very dangerous unless you don't know exactly what you're doing. Eat what you like to eat but if you want to keep the weight off and avoid sugar (even in fruit/alcohol), white rice. white potatoes and anything with white flour in it as much as possible. Also be physically active as much as possible.

I read that vegetarians live 2-3 years longer than meat eaters.

The only animal products that do NOT have a longevity penalty are eggs and fish. (Frequent) red meat has the highest penalty, due to the by products created by our digestive process.

I eat lots of eggs, lots of fish, and a fair amount of other animal protein. Life's too short to live without a good variety of beef, deer, elk and pork....

I mean, give up bacon for a few weeks more life? Get real......

When we start looking at disease prevention and the actual diets of some of those studies we can get a different picture than just a few weeks difference. Some of the vegan diets may not be healthy at all. I could eat nothing but Twinkies and Oreo's and be on a vegan diet. What we need to look at are how much lower risks of certain disease is just by a diet change. Look at that info and the lifespans and diets of the longest lived peoples on earth historically. You can see exactly when the processed food and more Americanized diets entered in the culture and the health problems associated with those things.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"I eat all kinds of vegetables as close to raw as possible including all kinds of beans."

You must spend a lot of time passing gas and sitting on the crapper.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
"I eat all kinds of vegetables as close to raw as possible including all kinds of beans."

You must spend a lot of time passing gas and sitting on the crapper.

Actually not nearly as much as before. When you eat those things often you build gut bacteria to digest them and don't get the gas. With all the fiber a bowel movement takes all of 30 seconds..

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.