Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by JamesJr
How many of you have ever "accidently" hit the floorplate release button, and dumped the cartridges?

I've hunted with BDL style rifles for a long, long time, and never have.

40 years of hunting and never had it happen on a M700 Classic.
Never had a bolt handle fall off a Remington 700 either.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have two blind magazine rifles, both left handed Remington KS Mountain Rifles, one in 300 H&H and one in 375 H&H. Takes only a few seconds to unload in the manner previously mentioned. No need to fully chamber a round. I guess I've never been in such a big hurry that an extra 8-10 seconds to unload at the truck impacted my day, or my attitude.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many of you have ever "accidently" hit the floorplate release button, and dumped the cartridges?

I built a M700 with a PT&G Oberndorf bottom metal and that damn thing would pop open everytime...... I re-engineered it and it is mo betta now

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I have, more than once, and I don't think I'm particularly clumsy either. Cold and gloves were factors.

That said, in order of preference I roll: 1) DBM 2) hinged floorplate, and 3) blind.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A floorplate that can be dumped without deliberately operating the release is poorly designed or adjusted, or has a weak spring. Same can be said for DBM releases like the Howa Mini, which is just cheap.

One of my sons had a Classic SS .270 with a floorplate that would pop open. He fixed it by cutting the notch for the latch a bit deeper.

Both my Mausers have the slide-off version with a little button. As long as you close it properly, it ain't going anywhere.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by irfubar

I built a M700 with a PT&G Oberndorf bottom metal and that damn thing would pop open everytime...... I re-engineered it and it is mo betta now

Yep had one of them too , mine would open upon shooting sometime. fixed it with a stronger spring.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Most of us could lighten our load not on our rifles, but on our waistline.

Drop ten pounds and you wont give a damn about 4-6 ounces.

Yup.

Lost 20 pounds last year before elk season. Those hills were a LOT easier to tame.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ADL is NOT about losing rifle weight for most of us...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by battue
Most of us could lighten our load not on our rifles, but on our waistline.

Do you prefer boots that weigh 5 pounds apiece?

Lol, so true... ask any world-class cyclist if he wants to lose weight off his bike... not all weight is created equal, and the idea body weight is the same as gear weight is misinformed at best.

And btw, I don’t have any weight to lose... I’m pretty close to my ideal weight, but I’ll shed weight on gear anywhere I can.

Going to lighter boots, pants and long John's nets big dividends IMO and IME. I use to wear Danner Canadians exclusively and two years ago switched to a much lighter boot. Made a huge difference in the mountains with no downsides.
I've played quit a bit with light rifles and for me there are definite downsides to using them in the field.

Last edited by BWalker; 09/23/19.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by NMiller
Only thing I don't like is jacking out the live rounds through the bolt. Made me cringe when I was teaching my daughter how to empty her ADL .243. Other than that they are great to carry.

The round does NOT have to be chambered to remove it from the magazine--that's one of the first things I taught my son with his ADL.

Amazing how many people haven't learned that........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Carl,

A rifle that fits your blind mag requirement in 308 Win is the NULA M-20. Light, accurate, expensive. But another option to consider.

I had one of the original Kimber Montanas (not the current model) in 308 Win and had no complaints about either carry weight or accuracy. Another one you might want to look for, lightly used.

BTW, I assume you’re not looking for an AK DGR. A good Rem M700 ADL would seem to fit your requirements for your hunting as well as anything that’s been recommended. Just my 2 cents.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I grew up shooting a tang ruger with hinged floor plate, so all my rifles since 1973 have been so equipped. I traded into an adl years ago but sold it quickly. Blind vs hinged is merely preference . They all work.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Have some of both. No disadvantage in the field for ADL. Either is fine with me.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

ive had situation where the floorrplate didn't latch properly and gave way later on...mk-V Wby IIRC.
[my carelessness]..but still Any machine with more moving parts means more potential problems.

apart from the issue of balance [which is more about weight distribution], weight also effects other dynamics,

Harry Selby slimmed /lightened the stock on .416 Mauser to make the rifle more swingable
[reduced inertia] for the demand of fast-shooting situations
you know like where he could be called on to empty a full magbox on a 'sudden explosion of lions'... grin

I do know that when I went to a lighter synthetic stock on my Roys and carried 10x25 Leicas
instead of 10x42 Zeiss binos, I became somewhat happier.

Even just putting a heavier higher mounted Zeiss on my .270 Roy annoyed me cause it effected
the dynamics-handling and weight
, so went back to a lower lighter Leup. 2.5-8x ....smiles again.

.NULA,..Remington 700 ti,...

Paying more for less, sound counter-intuitive, but the merits are there.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,330 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.