-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I skin and clean then freeze them till I have enough for 7 pints in the pressure canner.

After canning they are tender and ready to pan fry real fast, make gravy while eggs are scrambling and biscuits are browning.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
How exactly does one slow cook squirrel (older ones)...

How do you tell them apart (young vs. old).

Frying young ones should be easy, but with the older ones are you slow cooking them in broth ?

I hunt where there are plenty of big old fox squirrels - not sure that matters but they aren’t small.

PM Maddog, he is your huckleberry !

come to think about it - where is mad dog on this thread ?

I was on page one. I haven't mentioned my Limb Chicken Chowder. You can find it down in the small game hunting section. I'm getting ready to pressure cook about 15 of the lil boogers this morning, then just put the deboned meat in a bag for future use in the chowder, crockpot BBQ, etc.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/wild-chef/2012/02/new-england-style-cream-based-squirrel-chowder

Here is the Limb Chicken Chowder recipe.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

fried squirrel.

gravy.

squirrel pot pie

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Squirrel meat is tough. Think about it-they make their living pulling themselves around up and down trees. They are much more palatable when cooked slowly and simmered than when they are fried. I like fried squirrel too, but I prefer them with biscuits and gravy. By the time squirrel season rolled around, we were often out of venison, and my brother and I were expected to put some protein on the table. It was usually squirrel, shot out of the towering beech trees of northeast Ohio.

Young sq are tender. Grill or chicken fry them.

Hawk, the backstraps are great in the back behind the ribs.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only way I ever had them was fried and that's as far as I needed to go.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I throw them in a crock pot with salt and pepper and some water and eat them like that, picking out the bones. Kinda tedious but tastes good.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just pressure cooked 13 old ones. Pulled the meat, and it's in the freezer. Got about 8 more I'm gonna do later this week.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Squirrel in gravy is good. I usually brown the cut up squirrel. Cook down chopped onions pepper and garlic. Put the meat back in. Add some beef or chicken stock, worchestershire and sherry or wine. Some herbs then cover and simmer till tender.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by PPosey
I skin and clean then freeze them till I have enough for 7 pints in the pressure canner.

After canning they are tender and ready to pan fry real fast, make gravy while eggs are scrambling and biscuits are browning.

I've never thought about canning them. I may try that over the next few weeks.

How many squirrels/quarters do you fit into each pint? How much pressure and for how long?

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I make a rice and gravy similar to Sako270wsm. I also have fried them in a electric skillet, smothered in gravy with a sliced tomato.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.