Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Obviously there are some pretty darn smart and knowledgeable guys on here. At least lot more than me. I have 2019 Chevy Duramax, 6 sp Allison in it . I want to put a winch on it like I had on my 98 Dodge Cummins . It has been over 40 years since I had anything with an auto transmission in it.

Looking at some of the winch ready front bumpers on the market I don't want one like the Ranchhands that cover the entire grill.

This truck has an opening in the lower grill just above the air damn/spoiler.l. It is about 15" long and 5 " high. All the bumpers I have seen pretty much cover that opening up.

Here's is the question. Will a such bumper installed with a winch restrict the air flow into that cooler too much? Also any recommendations of which bumper to use.I would really like to keep bumper cost below $1500.

Any help would be appreciated

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can’t snswer you question, Vince, but I bet Badger can.

Have you considered haveing a local fab shop make a custom for you?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Can’t snswer you question, Vince, but I bet Badger can.

Have you considered having a local fab shop make a custom for you?

Not many around.When asked, they get that deer in the head lights look.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Obviously there are some pretty darn smart and knowledgeable guys on here. At least lot more than me. I have 2019 Chevy Duramax, 6 sp Allison in it . I want to put a winch on it like I had on my 98 Dodge Cummins . It has been over 40 years since I had anything with an auto transmission in it.

Looking at some of the winch ready front bumpers on the market I don't want one like the Ranchhands that cover the entire grill.

This truck has an opening in the lower grill just above the air damn/spoiler.l. It is about 15" long and 5 " high. All the bumpers I have seen pretty much cover that opening up.

Here's is the question. Will a such bumper installed with a winch restrict the air flow into that cooler too much? Also any recommendations of which bumper to use.I would really like to keep bumper cost below $1500.

Have you looked at GM accessories for your truck? Pretty sure they wouldn't engineer something that would create a potential overheating problem due to airflow restriction. Would be surprised if they didn't offer a winch mount.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by badger

Have you looked at GM accessories for your truck? Pretty sure they wouldn't engineer something that would create a potential overheating problem due to airflow restriction. Would be surprised if they didn't offer a winch mount.

Never thought of that.I will check them out.
Thanks

So far nothing. Still looking

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/10/19.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You might want to call Ranch Hand (or any other heavy duty bumper maker like ARB) and see what they have say about your concern.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by stantdm
You might want to call Ranch Hand (or any other heavy duty bumper maker like ARB) and see what they have say about your concern.

Already talked to Ranchhand and another bumper sales place. They didn't know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't speak to the 2019 version but on the earlier Duramax trucks, like my 2006, it is common to flip the tranny cooler on the mounts, effectively raising up and into the airflow into the radiator. You may take a look at yours and see if that is possible.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

trail ready ….have them on my 16 6.7 ……..bob

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore

https://www.buckstopinc.com/
These guys make some of the best bumpers around, they are beasts! I believe they allow Air passage for transmission coolers, give them a call they’ll do anything you want.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=BamBam
https://www.buckstopinc.com/
These guys make some of the best bumpers around, they are beasts! I believe they allow Air passage for transmission coolers, give them a call they’ll do anything you want.[/quote]

Thanks BamBam.I leave for an elk hunt in two days.Will contact them when I get back

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
376 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 36 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,884
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.