Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have gotten along well with Hondas. Don't forget a good service dealer.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For reliability, any Honda without question. The 400 size is a sweetheart if you aren't a brute.

For big, rugged work when you can get it started, Grizzly 700.
For smooth trail-riding and play, Can-Am.

Never, ever Arctic Cat. They are a maintenance money-pit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by waterrat
We have a new Rancher with power steering and independent rear, and 4 500 foreman's. Honda hands down for us!!
[Linked Image from i834.photobucket.com]

Caption contest.

"Dalai Lama and the his big brown beaver"

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats interesting.

Several folks around here have had good luck with Artic Cat.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The three Arctic Cats on the ranch go back to the dealer for necessary suspension and engine maintenance more often than all of the decades-old Hondas put together.

They go fast, have power, but suspension goes haywire, bearings go out, steering is always going out or going wrong, engines leak oil randomly, start hard when it's cold, brakes don't last at all, body panels can't take much contact, etc.

To the point, I won't ride one down the highway or use it to chase cows because I've seen them locked up or tipped over or loss of brakes too many times with other guys.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I will be damned.

The neighbors and I have had good luck.

You have a bunch of ex rig hands running them? grin

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
The close to geriatric group that posts here on the Fire would have good luck with any machine because their version of of off-roading is running up and down a trail and waving at the grand kids as they go by. So for them, any machine is going to be reliable ANY machine.

But -

If you plan on going where is gets rough, like dropping your machine into hidden sink holes multiple times in one day and having to winch yourself out, then a Honda isn't going to cut it. I know because I've done it on my Honda Rincon. At 3200 miles it took over $700 to fix all the problems. Reliable? Only if you wave at the grand kids - see above.

For riding in and through the rough stuff, there is only one machine that can really handle it. Polaris. I own a Sportsman 850 and I can tell you - from experience - that it can do what the others can't.

I encourage you to watch all the mud pit videos you like on YouTube and over and over again you'll see there is one brand that can make it through the pit. Polaris.

And since you want to buy American and keep your money working in America, a goal of the President YOU voted for, there is only one brand that has its headquarters in the USA and also has its stock listed on the NYSE. Polaris.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by walt501

For riding in and through the rough stuff, there is only one machine that can really handle it. Polaris. I own a Sportsman 850 and I can tell you - from experience - that it can do what the others can't.

If a 700 Grizz can't make it I wouldn't even want to try it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Finding a dealer that you trust (and that services their products) is probably more important than the brand.

Guys in my hunting club have used Honda, Yamaha, CanAm, Artic Cat, and Polaris. Don't remember any Kawasakis or Suzukis.

In general:

The Hondas and Yamahas were very reliable. The first machines that were used on our club were old 2WD Hondas and Yamahas. Still have a die-hard Yamaha user on a newer 4WD who's machine is pretty much bulletproof. No Hondas left - people wanted to update to automatic trans and Honda was too slow to the game.

The Can Am user switched from an old Honda and seems happy.

Artic Cats have had the most problems - frames, drive shafts, poor starting. One guy still uses one, but is about ready to get rid of it. The other Artic Cat user already switched to Polaris.

Most of us use Polaris now - 400, 500, 700 Sportsmans from late 90s vintage to just a few yrs old. A 550 and a 850 SP EPS, a 570 Ranger and a General. They work just fine, no particular problems, except with OEM Polaris batteries - get rid of those at first opportunity and replace with a good AGM powersport battery.

I have a 2003 Sportsman 400 and a 2009 Sportsman 550 SP EPS. The 400 is showing its age a little, having some trouble with the shift linkage getting out of adjustment and jamming - so no more skidding or winching hardwood logs out of the woods for firewood anymore with that one. The 550 EPS is spooky easy steering and great ride - no problems with it so far.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For what you describe a Honda Foreman or Rancher would fit the bill. They hold their value if you ever decide you don’t like it.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was just snooping around Honda's website and the FourTrax Foreman Rubicon looks pretty good.

But it's only a 520cc machine, be curious to climb a few hills with one.

Same price range as a 700 Grizz though, so it had better be awesome.

https://powersports.honda.com/atv/recutility/fourtrax-foreman-rubicon-4x4

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
What do you guys like for a new ATV these days? Looking for something no less than 400 cc

Uses would be pulling a small buggy full of firewood / gravel, hauling game, and my ass up the mountain with another rider at times.

No racing or obstacle climbing needed lol thank you all, I appreciate it.

Been loving my 2008 Rancher since I bought it new. Replaced a battery since I had it and changed oil and filter regular. No issues at all just stupid reliable.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would think that with the popularity of the SxS’s that the used atv market would be ripe for picking up a good used machine. Honda Foreman here that just keeps on going but would eventually like to move up to a SxS someday. Good luck, Dave

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
95% of my ATV use is chasin' cows around. I prefer a 4-wheeler to a SxS for rougher country.

Put a few miles on checking irrigation water but nothing like the off-roading when gathering cattle.

Flat ground and no hurry a straight axle Honda can't be beat.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have a kawasaki '08 650 brute force. I haven't had to replace anything on it yet. I like it. My only complaint is, it is cold blooded in the winter.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I have a kawasaki '08 650 brute force. I haven't had to replace anything on it yet. I like it. My only complaint is, it is cold blooded in the winter.

I like their low center of gravity.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I sold my original 1988 Foreman, that I bought new back in the day, earlier this summer:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And bought a new 2019 Foreman FM1 on closeout, which is the base model with manual shift & solid rear axle:

I was looking at a Rancher first with power steering & electronic shift, but then stepped up to the Foreman for the bigger motor, better bumpers, and locking front differential. I went with bare bones for the less chance of schitt to go wrong in the future. Would have gone carbureted if given the option.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The fuel injection of today is incredibly simple and reliable.

Maybe more so than the old carbs.

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Honda's are the Stihl of atv's and Yamaha's are the .Husqvarna..Can't go wrong with either.Take your pick....I am a Yamaha guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The fuel injection of today is incredibly simple and reliable. Maybe more so than the old carbs.

Except you're schit-out-of luck when your battery is too low or dead with fuel injection.

My old Honda had a kick start for those times.....

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.