Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Being new to an area where there are actually species of snakes you really don’t want to get bitten by, I have been asking around a little. Most of the input I get is that you need to be pretty careful, especially in warmer weather. What are the thoughts of the Campfire brethren who are a lot more experienced than I about these issues?

Mathew 22: 37-39

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Living in rattlesnake and other venomous snake habitat my entire life, I have never owned a pair of "snake boots"...

And nearly 100% of the people I know that spend most of their time outdoors never mess with "snake boots" either.

No matter what size the snake is, they very rarely bite much above ankle level. So those knee high snake boots are false security.

Just get a decent pair of comfortable cowboy or work boots with a leather top that comes up 12" or so, and you should be GTG.

Situational awareness is much more important than snake boots.... I never saw a snake I couldn't outrun.. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Living in rattlesnake and other venomous snake habitat my entire life, I have never owned a pair of "snake boots"...

And nearly 100% of the people I know that spend most of their time outdoors never mess with "snake boots" either.

No matter what size the snake is, they very rarely bite much above ankle level. So those knee high snake boots are false security.

Just get a decent pair of comfortable cowboy or work boots with a leather top that comes up 12" or so, and you should be GTG.

Situational awareness is much more important than snake boots.... I never saw a snake I couldn't outrun.. grin

I pretty much agree with Barry. My normal shoes in south Texas are boat shoes. That is except when blue quail hunting.
I’ve been known to wear snake boots along with chaps. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Down here where hunting season and locales are both warm and wet I wear uninsulated Muck Rangers with heavy canvass gaiters (covers to just below the knee).
Don't remember where I got them, might have been BassPro. Luckily we haven't had to find out if they work.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I spent years ( decades) hunting venomous snakes, and I wore Gokey snake boots any time I did it. Didn't wear them otherwise in snake country....and only ever had to peel one snake off them...a copperhead who bit-as others said-way down low, on the foot.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I squirrel hunt a lot, so I'm always slipping along looking up in the trees. I also live and hunt in cottonmouth country, along with copperheads and canebrake rattlers. I almost always wear high snake boots or some Knight and Hale snake leggings . While I've never been bit, I have stepped on a couple of copperheads and cotton mouths. When deer hunting I wear regular boots and watch where I step.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good snake boots are expensive. Wanted them for years.
Two years ago I bought some on the way to the hog hunt down in south Texas.
Turns out they feel great on my feet.
I do use them at the farm, which is full of snakes. Don't like having to look at each step, rather look for animals to hunt.
Grass and brush are to thick to watch each step, I have walked on snakes that stressed out the old heart.
So the old work boots get a break, snake boots the use.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Ah heck, I thought this was going to be about boots MADE from snakes.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's only the rarest of snakes that even has feet.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Son bitten by a Copperhead hog hunting Central Texas area,wearing tennis shoes.Always worn leather boots hunting and working.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rocky pull on Sbake Boots have worked well for me for years. Not too expensive and very comfortable too.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I do wear snake boots. But, mostly due to the multi-functional aspect. I am WAAAY more concerned with avoiding chiggers. I have hunted Rattlesnake country for 20+ years & encountered three rattlers, one Water Moccasin, two Coral snakes & two Copperheads.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wear them. I got tired of being paranoid about what I wouldn’t see under the leaves. After almost stepping on a few, I really like the boots. As others have said, they also provide a good surface to apply permethrin to repel ticks and chiggers. Academy landman boots seem to fit well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chuck, you will need them here, take my word for it buddy.

Our woods are mostly swampy and we have a plethora of Cottonmouth due to that alone. We also have plenty of Copperheads , Cane Breaks, the occasional Diamond Back as well as the not so threatening Coral snake.

My advise is to get a pair of Muck snake boots, without the insulation. They are cozy, versatile, waterproof and offer a better barrier, not perfect , but far better than just a thin leather or canvas style boot against a hit. Not to mention they lend peace of mind and thus allow focus when tracking a blood trail at night.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chuck, you will need them here, take my word for it buddy.

Our woods are mostly swampy and we have a plethora of Cottonmouth due to that alone. We also have plenty of Copperheads , Cane Breaks, the occasional Diamond Back as well as the not so threatening Coral snake.

My advise is to get a pair of Muck snake boots, without the insulation. They are cozy, versatile, waterproof and offer a better barrier, not perfect , but far better than just a thin leather or canvas style boot against a hit. Not to mention they lend peace of mind, help with ticks and chiggers. In my opine with that worry removed thus allow more focus when tracking a blood trail at night.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The north portion of the county I live in has timber rattlers and copperheads. I remember hearing all the tales about how bad the snakes were on a certain farm, and the workers had to wear sections of stove pipes on their legs when they went out in the fields to work. Of course, I never met anyone who had witnessed it, only people who had heard about it.

I've hunted all over that part of the county, and have yet to see a poisonous snake. I also have never worn stove pipes either. Granted, this is not a part of the country that is known as a haven for snakes, but they are here, and I'd think the first thing one would need would be a good eye and some common sense.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've never worn them hunting, but own some knee high snake proof leggings that can be used with any type of boot. I can't justify the expense of another special pair of boots just for snakes. Here in north GA the weather is cool enough over 1/2 the year that it isn't a problem. But in Florida and coastal SC snakes are active year round. I do volunteer for a group that searches for missing people. Many times we recover remains in some pretty swampy, overgrown areas or in abandoned buildings that brush has overtaken. Visibility is limited to just a few inches around my feet in many of those places. When poking around those types of places I wear the leggings.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
we have our share of moccasins and rattlers here in North Florida. I wear Rocky brand snake boots, and have been struck twice. Once by a large, fat and aggressive moccasin, and once by a rattlesnake. The boots performed as advertised both times.

Sam......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just saw a nice little rattler leaving my stand yesterday. I wear Russell Cordura Snake boots... I also wear LaCrosse Alpha Burly non Insulated rubber boots... had snakes hit them and they do not penetrate. get which ever makes you feel better and wear them. Down here, you need to be looking in FRONT of you hunting, and not at the ground the whole time...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear snake leggings with leather hiking boots. I hate frigging snakes.

Only time I ever got close to being bit was 40+ years ago. Bent down to turn on the faucet to fill up the dogs water bowl. Buzz! Still bent over I looked toward the buzz and the sucker was rared back, eye level, and only 2 feet away. Bowser jumped between us just as it struck or it'd have had my neck. Bowser was sick for days. The snake got his from a 12 guage 870. later that night. Should have made a belt out of it but only had two 3 foot pieces left! He was huge!

But i've stepped on severl copper heads and got too close to coral snakes and cotton mouths. No telling how many rattlers I've walked by unawares.

Wear your boots. Loosing a foot or leg is not going to be fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.