Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A nice lakeside cabin. A little shack out in the forest-running water? Yeah we got it-you want water you run down to the spring and get it! A pack camp back up in the mountains. A lean-to at the base of a hill.

For us, for the last 20 years or so, deer camp's been a small cabin rented at a little resort on a small lake in central Minnesota. For us, this is deer camp, and unless finances allow our group to buy a place, it'll continue to be deer camp for some time to come. Deer camp's special to every group in different ways, but the common factor is it brings us together for a few days of fellowship, hunting, and just getting back to our roots.

What's deer camp mean to you?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whatever you got going up there photograph it, document it, get it down. Would be nice if you posted the pictures here. There is book about deer camp, Pa. I think. In telling the story it told us some important stuff on the history of American living and culture along the way.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Never had a deer camp until you let us tag along to yours. Thanks again for that experience...we talk about it a lot still.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Deer camp, Antelope camp, elk camp, ect. We use the same camp.....merely relocate! wink The camp is a get away for the wife and I. We work too hard most of the year.....going hunting is our “escape” from our routines! For a short time, we don’t talk about yard work, bills,ect. memtb

https://i.imgur.com/DCT5h3y_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Last edited by memtb; 10/13/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am at camp know . 18ft camper 14 by 14 porch with a roof and a wood burning stove when it cools off. 4160ackers of private prop. hotspot my phone to get my puter on the fire life is good. hunting is slow cuzz of the heat but it is better than work

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Never had a deer camp until you let us tag along to yours. Thanks again for that experience...we talk about it a lot still.

I hope we get a chance to do it again Matty.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deer camp means the world to me. Nothing else like it, even though most of my old companions are gone now. Their memories linger on.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dubePA
Deer camp means the world to me. Nothing else like it, even though most of my old companions are gone now. Their memories linger on.

Most here have never lived a Pennsylvania deer camp experience. Those of us that have are lucky to have a place to call home for the week after Thanksgiving, now with the season starting on Saturday. Man, that seems weird. Dube, I'm sure there's lots of camps shuttered near you, just as there are by us. Iconic names like Camp Misery, Bear's Den, and The Plastered Bastards. All long running camps near ours. All no longer in use. Bear's Den is little more than a pile of scrap wood now. So sad to see. There were 7 camps on our trail,and it's down to three now.

Last edited by gophergunner; 10/13/19.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It’s where we all share time together, fun time around the campfire

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I bought my deer camp 30 yrs ago. It was 7 ac. on the fLambeau River in northern Wisconsin. We had 8 or 9 hunters one year and now it is just my son and me. For deer hunting, it is all but useless. The bear and grouse hunting is good however if you can get a bear tag. The smallmouth fishing is ok if you want to catch 10" bass but that is it. The camp is dying and I have only been there twice this year. Once to check on it in April and in August to fish for 10" smallmouth. The two properties are both for sale on each of my sides and has been for over a year. The winter was real bad again this year and the deer numbers are way down again . Thirty yrs ago I could go in the woods and see a few deer .Now , I only hunt it for gun season and only 1 or 2 days cause being there is only for memories that are fading away. My dad, is gone, brother, 2 brother in laws quit 15 yrs ago. They dont hunt and wont go there . Other BIL stopped many yrs ago too. I would like to just get rid of it , although I should shave a bear tag next yr. and my son the year after, I think. After that , I am sure my son will quit too. I will go there only cause I have no other place except in S.E. Wisconsin public land and it is very tough with all the hunters. I may just hunt 5 miles from home some day and forget northern Wisconsin.

I still enjoy being there but feel awful that my son will never know what decent hunting is at deer camp.

Last edited by ihookem; 10/13/19.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm at deer camp right now aka my year round residence. I can walk out the back door and hunt or go out the front, down the driveway and hunt the mountain across the road. I can point to the spots on that mountain where I've killed numerous bucks from where I'm sitting right now.. There are thousands of acres of state forest land a mile and a half up the road and 3 miles down the road. No real need for me to go anywhere else to hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
blackheart that's a good set up . its 24miles to my camp on the ST johns river but my back yard is on the intercoastal water way I can fish like you hunt

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here in a state where the large majority of deer hunting is done on public land, portable camps are the rule, like campers, tents, etc.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hanco
It’s where we all share time together, fun time around the campfire

+1 Good friends, good food and NO TV! Doesn't matter if you bring home meat, kill the biggest buck of your life or come home empty handed, just the experience and camaraderie. Something good to sip on by a fire doesn't hurt either.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For the last several years deer camp for me has either been Mom's house when in Montana or my pickup when here in Wyoming.

No camaraderie.
No luxury.
No campfire.

I guess I am boring, but I don't go to deer camp to lounge around camp or hang out with others. Good for anyone who does, but it doesn't interest me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've spent the last 16 years filling a weblog with thoughts on this very topic.

It started out as a way to blow off steam from a high-pressure job. I spent the better part of 20 years looking for a spot. I liken Deer Camp to a joke; you either get it or you don't. There's no way someone can explain it to you and make it funny.

By the time I found one, I was already on Wife 2.0. I'd acquired 3 sons, my job had gotten even more hectic. By this time, I was determined not to let my kids turn into suburban mall rats. I wanted to give them an alternative to soccer, video games and getting stoned. With KYHillchick's help, we took an abandoned cabin on 200 acres and turned it into a home away from home.

The latest steps along the path came this past weekend. Originally it was going to be Moose and Angus coming down to help set a few deer stands and sight in their muzzleloaders for the upcoming Opener. Both decided to invite their new girlfriends down. Moose's new squeeze is an old high school friend. Angus brought one of the drummers from his pipe band-- a smart, quiet, willowy lass going to mortuary school. A good time was had by all. Moose brought sirloins big enough to feed hungry linebackers. I remarked to the women that the quantity of meat showed the boys had a definite interest in them-- real Desmond Morris-type stuff. Angus' chick had to drive back to Indiana to get up for church.

Moose's new squeeze spent a good deal of time alone with me in the woods, spotting me while I went aloft into the new stands to get them fully dressed out for season. She remarked that she'd never had a weekend like it before-- never so peaceful. She's a game woman. I like her. While the rest were out shooting on Saturday, we adjourned to the Thoughtful Spot, drank scotch and watched the moon rise. I think she gets the joke.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Our place is just an old cabin in the woods in upstate NY. We've had it since 1964. We call it the Beartown Hill-ton. It is located up Beartown Hill in Steuben Co. Go figure.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, my little granddaughter Esther will be the first member of the 4th generation of our family to hunt from our Pennsylvania camp, Camp Opa. My dad and 4 others started this camp shortly after they came home from beating the Axis powers in WWII. 7 decades later, we still have a presence on Boone Mountain, in Clearfield County, Pennsylvania. Our camp is one of the oldest camps on the hill, and there's so many great memories from the days of yore. Sadly, my dad and all the other members of the Olde Guard are long gone, but the legacy they laid down continues today. There's just nothing like a stay at deer camp.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Sure you have. It may even be a truck.

Camp is where you make it.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Maybe...we grew up hunting little wood lots near home and also driving deer using slug guns. Only hunted when I could thru college and then worked a lot so never had time to really commit to it. Always a weekend day here and there.

I'd give a lot right now to have just 10 acres of woods and a week to use it.

Maybe someday. But right now it's still a weekend day here and there.

Since then I have started bow hunting to get more days in the woods.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 10/14/19.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.