Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Guys, I remember I had a neat sight from a long-defunct company called "One Ragged Hole" . Ostensibly, it is a peep sight that is affixed to the barrel sights by removing the stock "V" rear sight (two screws) and sliding the peep into place. I had one on my 9422 and it works great.

Is this what you have? Kinda.

https://warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html

Yessir, and I bought another from them last week. I have them on my 375 and my 9422 and they work GREAT

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a picture of the Williams on my .375 Winchester.
The only real drawbacks to the Williams receiver sight is the requirement for two screw drivers to adjust windage of elevation and the lack of a push button to remove the stem.
Lyman is a superior sight run by an inferior company.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The peep/open sight has been around for awhile. This from H-T-T February 1911 cost $2.00. A fair amount of money

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Slim
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the responses guys. I just loaded up some ammo. When elk hunting is all done, I'll get a chance to go to the range and do some load testing. I started out with RL 7 and 200gr Sierra pro hunters. I bought 250 of those things, so I'm hoping I can find a good accurate load. This rifle was exceptionally accurate for my grandfather. I don't believe my dad shot it much. It's still in like new condition. Again, I appreciate the input. Regards...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
BSA, my .375 is a Savage but I always had one hole groups with the factory 200 grain ammo. When it hit $90 a box I sold all I had and bought the Sierra 200 grain bullets to reload. I didn't expect much, figuring after shooting one hole groups it's all downhill from there. I was shocked and thrilled that the Sierras handloads I put together shot the same way as the old Winchester factory loads had. I clicked my heels together and off I went with a smile.

If my results are any indication of what you can expect I think you'll be glad you tried them.

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
BSA, my .375 is a Savage but I always had one hole groups with the factory 200 grain ammo. When it hit $90 a box I sold all I had and bought the Sierra 200 grain bullets to reload. I didn't expect much, figuring after shooting one hole groups it's all downhill from there. I was shocked and thrilled that the Sierras handloads I put together shot the same way as the old Winchester factory loads had. I clicked my heels together and off I went with a smile.

If my results are any indication of what you can expect I think you'll be glad you tried them.

Thanks fireball. What powder did you use? Thanks.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My load is 36 grains of H4198. Please check your loading manuals all before duplicating that load, AND always work up to it from below, in case I transposed some numbers between the load room and the computer.

Also a fun side note on the 375-

I got some Hornady 36 caliber round balls (they're actually 375 btw) and loaded 7 grains of some long forgotten pistol powder and three round balls for grouse loads. Good to 20 yards.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roy , get some trailboss powder to use with those round ball's. Load from putt putt to smack em.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My load is 36 grains of H4198. Please check your loading manuals all before duplicating that load, AND always work up to it from below, in case I transposed some numbers between the load room and the computer.

Also a fun side note on the 375-

I got some Hornady 36 caliber round balls (they're actually 375 btw) and loaded 7 grains of some long forgotten pistol powder and three round balls for grouse loads. Good to 20 yards.

Cool, thanks buddy. 36 sounds about right to me. I loaded the 200 gr sierra's with 37 to 38.5 gr of RL7. I'll be trying those out in a couple weeks. Maybe sooner. Need to help my buddy find a cow elk tomorrow.... Hopefully he gets one..

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I like 1680 with 200 grain bullets. I have hit over 2300fps with good pressure and excellent accuracy in my XTR and at this speed the 200 Sierra hits hard and still stays together pretty well. Low sectional density means penetration is a bit low for anything bigger than caribou or big deer. RL 7 does the best with heavier bullets in my rifle. 255 grain Barnes bullets don't expand all that well past 125 yards or so. I think the cartridge really misses the Hornady 220's. Custom bullets from the USA not easy to get here in Canada. I'd love to see Hornady make a 220 grain flex-tip, that would really make the cartridge sing for caribou through moose.

Last edited by North61; 11/19/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Remember a story told me by a friend that hunted Oregon coastal elk with his WInchester 375. If you've never been, it's thick, and also, thick. Someone jumped a big bull, he heard it coming and had gun up, it busts out into a shooting lane and they see each other at the same time. He fires and bull dodges at the same time. Miss. I can visualize the whole thing in my mind. The big 375 bullet plowing into the dirt right where the bull just stood.

LOL
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Remember a story told me by a friend that hunted Oregon coastal elk with his WInchester 375. If you've never been, it's thick, and also, thick. Someone jumped a big bull, he heard it coming and had gun up, it busts out into a shooting lane and they see each other at the same time. He fires and bull dodges at the same time. Miss. I can visualize the whole thing in my mind. The big 375 bullet plowing into the dirt right where the bull just stood.

Well, that's not a good story...

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by North61
I like 1680 with 200 grain bullets. .

Just 1680 or did you mean with the 255gr bullets?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Sorry my best load with 200 grain bullets is with 1680 powder. 1680 hasn't worked as well with heavier bullets for me. Very good speed and also very accurate. The 200 grain Sierra would be a very good deer or caribou bullet but for big stuff the 255 Barnes grain bullet (With RL7) penetrates about 50% further. Unfortunately started at 1900fps the big Barnes won't expand that well at 150 yards or more. The two bullets shoot to such a wildly different point of aim that re-sighting is a challenge. That's why I wish we had a 220-230 grain FTX bullet that would both penetrate well and expand to 200 yards. The better ballistic coefficient of the FTX would cleave to speed so it could be made to expand well at long range. As is I have shifted to 270 grain hard cast for my 375 with a big bluff meplat. Penetrates great and the blunt nose gives fair (but somewhat marginal) destruction of tissue.

This is a rifle in search of a better all round bullet, and an opportunity for Hornady. A 225 FTX would be the bomb. The small company custom bullets are too hard to import into Canada.

Last edited by North61; 11/22/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Can someone tell me what Williams peep sight fits the Big Bore? the standard 94 does not because of the receiver bulge.

This one should, Jorge. It's the FP (Fool Proof) type with click adjustments, which is nice. I was looking at my .375 to see if I can tell which sight it is, but there are no markings on it other than "Williams." I believe mine is of the 5D type (no click adjustments), and it appears that they don't make that one anymore. I'd choose the FP version anyway if I was looking for one..

I'm trying to figure out what "5D" means. Anyone know?

5D was for the original price of $5.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

The two bullets shoot to such a wildly different point of aim that re-sighting is a challenge. That's why I wish we had a 220-230 grain FTX bullet that would both penetrate well and expand to 200 yards. The better ballistic coefficient of the FTX would cleave to speed so it could be made to expand well at long range. As is I have shifted to 270 grain hard cast for my 375 with a big bluff meplat. Penetrates great and the blunt nose gives fair (but somewhat marginal) destruction of tissue.

This is a rifle in search of a better all round bullet, and an opportunity for Hornady. A 225 FTX would be the bomb. The small company custom bullets are too hard to import into Canada.

FYI, Vollmer bullets makes a 220 jacked flattop.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
F

The two bullets shoot to such a wildly different point of aim that re-sighting is a challenge. That's why I wish we had a 220-230 grain FTX bullet that would both penetrate well and expand to 200 yards. The better ballistic coefficient of the FTX would cleave to speed so it could be made to expand well at long range. As is I have shifted to 270 grain hard cast for my 375 with a big bluff meplat. Penetrates great and the blunt nose gives fair (but somewhat marginal) destruction of tissue.

FYI, Vollmer bullets makes a 220 jacked flattop.

Thanks but too hard to get outside of the USA.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, N. Like you, I had good luck with the R-7 with both bullets, but yes they POIs are different. I'm also using 275gr Hard Cast with 23gr of 5744 with good results.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
611 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.