Hop To
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Gents:

I am in Alaska mode sitting here in GA. Plan is to drive north late summer next year for up to a month.

Have an older Ruger MKII stainless with the boat paddle stock. CRF. problem is the barrel has no iron sights, which I want to install - as backup - along with detachable Alaska Arms rings for the scope.

What's the best way to roll on this as far as iron sights? I have a local gunsmith here in GA that can install whatever I need, but want to select the right hardware.

Thanks!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Can you get the factory sights and have them put on?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Factory sights are hard to come by as parts. Especially the rear sight. Probably would use a NECG Masterpiece adjustable rear and masterpiece front ramp or banded if you prefer. That would be the way to go if you do not already have a line on some ruger factory sights.

Semper Fi

B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Can you get the factory sights and have them put on?

The factory front sight on those - I think - is similar to the 10/22 in that there is more meat in the barrel right at the end, into which has been grooved a dovetail, to slide in a front post.

I suspect a smith is going to have to D&T a front sight ramp, for a dovetail insert.

Not completely sure, though, so first hand knowledge appreciated.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Quick release rings and a second sighted in scope would be my choice

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Midway has Ruger OEM barrel band mounts for stainless Hawkeyes. Midway's description says magnum but it's really for the standard .30-06/270 sporter contour barrel. Ruger puts them on by heating them red hot so they expand, whacking them onto the barrel and letting them cool for a solid grip. You'd still need a sight blade, plunger and spring which you can get from Ruger. Or you can get the NECG Masterpiece barrel band sight which is a superior unit in every way except it only comes in blued steel.

Having gone this route a couple of times for Rugers I'd strongly recommend just getting a ramp front sight with a standard 3/8" dovetail which can be screwed and/or soldered to the barrel since any gunsmith can mount those. Those Ruger fore and aft slot sight blades are expensive and limited in options whereas standard 3/8 dovetail sight blades of various heights and styles are everywhere. You can use that with any of a number of rear sights from Williams or NECG which can also be screwed onto the barrel. If you want a detachable peep sight - you'd have to dismount the scope obviously - the NECG Ruger ghost ring is an excellent set and forget peep sight which can be removed and replaced easily with just a coin and will return to zero when remounted.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I don't know if this will work on yours, but here is what I did for my blued Tang RU77 in .338WM. I did not want high sights, especially those high Ruger stock sights.

After some experimentation involving various front ramp and blade sights and electrical tape, smile , I silver soldered the lowest ramp and blade on the front. .260 each IIRC from 20-25 years ago, and filed a V-notch in the highest integral scope base. Does not affect scope mounting at all, and gave me the lowest possible "iron" sights, which with my rifle, puts 250 grain bullets dead on at 100 yards with a 6 o'clock hold.

Just in case I ever have to lose the scope, or want to use it bare for bear carry.

I also modified that front bead with a bit of brazing rod, making it a bit bigger and a lot more rounded, so it doesn't catch on things , and for faster target acquisition. If needed........ smile.

It hasn't been needed as yet.

Last edited by las; 10/13/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Had the same problem with a pair of Ruger Frontiers in .308 and .358...no open sights. Had a local smith put a Williams standard ramp on one and a shortie ramp on the other... Both rifles use a XS ramp front with white line...stands out very well... I use the NECG Ruger receiver sight when using the scout scope.

Had another MKII stainless in .350 RM that someone had shortened the barrel to 19" and had a Williams front base put on and a NECG rear sight put on far enough forward that it would not interfear with mounting a scope.

I use the Leupold or Warne QD rings...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have done the Ruger banded front NECG rear in my pack for a back up when I did hunts where distance/weight limitations prevented a second rifle. However my eyes aren't what they were and now I bring a leupold 4x pre zeroed in a set of spare rings.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had the same situation with a ruger I wanted sights on. Actually bought a couple of ruger barrel band sights but ultimately just decided to through a ramp style off a Rem 700. Mated up just fine. Finished mine with an NECG ghost ring. I keep it on full time but if decide to scope it can keep the sight in my backpack for backup.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Overkill375
Quick release rings and a second sighted in scope would be my choice

Yes, I get that. However, I am less concerned about the scope failing, and more interested in removing it so I can go to irons in the case of bear in the alders, etc.

Thanks everyone for their replies so far!

B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MedRiver
I had the same situation with a ruger I wanted sights on. Actually bought a couple of ruger barrel band sights but ultimately just decided to through a ramp style off a Rem 700. Mated up just fine. Finished mine with an NECG ghost ring. I keep it on full time but if decide to scope it can keep the sight in my backpack for backup.

MedRiver:

I like the looks of your solution, thanks. Is that rear sight a thumb attach? Or do you have to torque it down? The idea is I would detach the scope to to irons, mebbe in a hurry even, and wont have time to do a lot of fine tuning or digging around for tools.

Last edited by Blu_Cs; 10/18/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here’s an M70 30-06 I built 15 years ago... NECG rear, and Ashley (now XS Sights) front... the front could be done several ways, but it doesn’t get any better than the NECG rear.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by MedRiver

MedRiver:

I like the looks of your solution, thanks. Is that rear sight a thumb attach? Or do you have to torque it down? The idea is I would detach the scope to to irons, mebbe in a hurry even, and wont have time to do a lot of fine tuning or digging around for tools.

Both of my two NECG ghost ring sights will return to zero as long as you return the mounting cross slot screw to the same position. I use a penny to torque it down and then detach it. You don't need it farmer tight, just screw it down until it stops and then give it a slight bit more "snug". You want to be able to remove it without needing anything more than that same penny. Mine are on a .30-06 and a .223 and with just thumb and index finger pressure on the penny it has stayed put on the '06 for a couple of years and several hundred rounds fired so far.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Here’s an M70 30-06 I built 15 years ago... NECG rear, and Ashley (now XS Sights) front... the front could be done several ways, but it doesn’t get any better than the NECG rear.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice solution as well! I like the fact that when you remove the scope, the irons are there and ready to go. No need to attach a rear sight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No need to attach a rear sight.

Yep. I'm not a fan of a removable peep... just another thing for Murphy to hide.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some great ideas for open sights folks.

Here in Alaska, Ruger has hit a home run for the perfect Alaskan rifle recipe: affordability, 20 inch barrel, integral bases, rugged open sights, all in 338 rcm, 375 ruger and the 416 ruger

I wish they'd make an RS-style or guide gun in 358 winchester and 9.3x62 mauser. Modify the clunky follower by thinning it to make it a five down gun. Id be the first to buy one.

I've owned a professionally sporterized german k98 mauser where the scope base screws were drilled off center, rendering scope adjustments useless. I've also had 6-48 base screws shear off under recoil on another rifle.

I've had my BLR and Savage 99 jam with a certain contour bullet. I've had both my Browning 1895 and my savage 99 fail to extract a case from a dirty chamber. The cheesy extractors slip right off the rim.

The Mauser-style CZ 550 and the Ruger 77 are some serious dmn rifles. When the model 70 winchesters production has been all over the place, with erratic quality, the Ruger 77 just keeps on getting better.

I'd take a used $500 dollar Ruger any day of the week over a $3000 dollar pre 64 model 70.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Brad
No need to attach a rear sight.

Yep. I'm not a fan of a removable peep... just another thing for Murphy to hide.

Agreed. If wanting backups for bears in the alders, the last thing I'd want to worry about is whether I had a sight and screwdriver in my pack somewhere. If your eyes are good enough to use irons, just go with them on the barrel.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.