Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have 3. Never used them until I started taking my kids. I use a bog pod so I can get shooting rest perfect height. Ladder stands and shooting house windows can be awkward for young ones depending on height.My oldest has killed 5 of his 8 deer out of them. We sometimes carry a heater.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to hunt outta one before I got a wood blind. They were surprising comfy.

One element on noise I haven't seen mention is the damn zipper.. Give yourself a little extra time to get in earlier than you think you need and you will probably feel better about it. Velcro windows aren't exactly silent either but that zipper.....

I have made it a habit to carry ear plugs and try to never shoot without them. Keep em handy.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
My heart issues necessitate me staying on the ground these days. No more tree stand hunting due to some balance issues. I bought one of those hub blinds for this fall and am looking forward to trying it for gun and ML season. What's been other's experience with these? This one's tall enough I can stand up in it to stretch, and has windows on all four sides. I won't be shooting through the mesh, I'll keep all four windows open. How loud is it inside one of these when the gun goes off? Thinking I might take my muffs and hopefully have time to get them on before the shot.

I use them occasionally and have good results.

I cut inverted V's in the mesh and let the cut strip hang inside the blind. This keeps the mesh in place to mask movement, and allows you to stick a rifle barrel out to shoot. I usually do 4-5 cuts per window.

I also offset how I open my windows, and sit in a darkened corner of the blind with no light behind me. Common sense stuff and you'll figure it out quickly.

I also put an area rug in it to keep chair legs from sinking into soft soil, and the deaden the sound of grass or twigs under my boots.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We have been using those pop up hub style blinds for years with success. You have to be more cautious in my opinion since you’re more in the deer’s line of sight. For example, we never open up all the windows .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Just know that when you click that igniter on the Buddy Heater, it's going to sound like a ships horn in the quiet woods.

Omg it does! Lol

Originally Posted by tzone
Mine's got an igniter too. Can those be lit with just a match? I haven't used the thing in a couple years.

Probably. But the chili and brats you had the night before would be a bigger concern than that “click.” I really doubt it makes a difference unless it’s right by you when you touch it off.

Dirt dabblers plugged up the lighters on mine. So i light em with a match.

Don’t let the flame over scare you.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I been using the primos club and xxl club blinds for some time. They work good so long as you Secure them down. I pick them up on sale. Mine are not the $300 plus ones. I position it so I am shooting out the front and have the from open and the side windows only partially open. I never open the back. I should probably wear a black top but I never got idea that the deer could see me in there so long as I wasnt moving around. One thing I dont like is it can get a bit tedious sitting in there just looking out some small windows. I would prefer to be up in a quadpod or stand but im getting old.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Rhino blinds (r600) sold at Walmart are great blinds. Big enough, good windows and a much heavier fabric than most blinds. They also don’t have a zipper...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
My heart issues necessitate me staying on the ground these days. No more tree stand hunting due to some balance issues. I bought one of those hub blinds for this fall and am looking forward to trying it for gun and ML season. What's been other's experience with these? This one's tall enough I can stand up in it to stretch, and has windows on all four sides. I won't be shooting through the mesh, I'll keep all four windows open. How loud is it inside one of these when the gun goes off? Thinking I might take my muffs and hopefully have time to get them on before the shot.

I use them occasionally and have good results.

I cut inverted V's in the mesh and let the cut strip hang inside the blind. This keeps the mesh in place to mask movement, and allows you to stick a rifle barrel out to shoot. I usually do 4-5 cuts per window.

I also offset how I open my windows, and sit in a darkened corner of the blind with no light behind me. Common sense stuff and you'll figure it out quickly.

I also put an area rug in it to keep chair legs from sinking into soft soil, and the deaden the sound of grass or twigs under my boots.

I like the idea of the inverted V gun ports. Think I'll be trying that. A question-everyone says to wear dark colored clothing inside the blind. Does this cause issues with the hunter organge requirements? Here in Minnesota we have to wear at least an orange vest and an orange hat.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
The comments on getting them up early and brushed in well are definitely important. One thing it took me a few years to learn was its best to sit snugged into a corner so the opposite corner is facing into the wind. This way you’re looking out all 4 windows and have cover to move if need be without being backlit by a window.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm not going to be able to get it up early, Eric. We're on public land, and there's no way it'd be there if I put it out a couple weeks early. Wish I could, but it's just not possible.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I use them more on field hunting, but have popped them up in the woods as well. Especially when I have one of my kids with me. I’ve killed a lot of deer over the years with blinds(with a rifle). You may end up really enjoying ground hunting....

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I like the idea of the inverted V gun ports. Think I'll be trying that. A question-everyone says to wear dark colored clothing inside the blind. Does this cause issues with the hunter organge requirements? Here in Minnesota we have to wear at least an orange vest and an orange hat.

Same clothing requirements where I live. I make sure that I'm not backlit and try to minimize movement. I wanna say that this is easily the most comfortable way to hunt deer, and it's been productive for me on small properties where I wait for others to run deer past me.

Think carefully about your seating arrangement. I set mine up on private land and leave it for weeks at a time. I drive to where I set it up and use a steel lawn chair that is roomy, comfortable, and rock solid. It's quiet enough as long as I'm careful to not scrape or knock stuff against it.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have some memorable moments from time in our ground blind pop-ups.Have been surrounded by both turkeys and deer. Had squirrels fighting on the roof.

On a few occasions I've called coyotes from one after the deer season ends. It's eye opening what all will come to some predator calls. Edit; Sometimes even a predator!

Be wary of crows in the vicinity as they will spot movement even behind the mesh from a fair ways off.

Last edited by johnw; 10/13/19.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FWIW I use low dollar Barron blinds from Farm and Fleet. They seem as easy as any to set up and are durable. Mu original wore out after 6 or 7 years and I've replaced it with 2 more. Both of them are several years old now.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use carpet scraps cut to fit the shape of blind to keep feet sound to minimum. Also sit back in blind and use shooting sticks.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
We checked out one of our blinds that we built out of deadfalls and brush this weekend. We put up a camera near 2 trails that cross in front of it about a month ago. The first 3 pics on the cam are a momma black bear and 3 cubs!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

Same clothing requirements where I live. I make sure that I'm not backlit and try to minimize movement. I wanna say that this is easily the most comfortable way to hunt deer, and it's been productive for me on small properties where I wait for others to run deer past me.

Think carefully about your seating arrangement. I set mine up on private land and leave it for weeks at a time. I drive to where I set it up and use a steel lawn chair that is roomy, comfortable, and rock solid. It's quiet enough as long as I'm careful to not scrape or knock stuff against it.

If you sit back away from the window in the shadows, do you get the muzzle outside the blind, or are you shooting from inside it? I'm thinking I might need to take my muffs and hopefully be able to get them on if I have to take a shot.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't sit away from the window where I expect deer to cross in front of. I just keep the window to one side of me and the one behind me mostly closed.

And yeah, occasionally I'll spot deer coming from a distance that pass by on the side of closed windows. But that's not the only deer we miss.
I was approaching a blind that my son was in and noticed a dandy buck walking quickly past the front of his blind within about 20 paces. Son had gotten comfortable and was sound asleep.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I fell asleep in the Jeep one day. I'd come back to it to warm up a bit. A whole herd of does walked right in front of me. A truck came down the logging road behind me and woke me up,and when I lifted my head I was face to face with a big doe about 10 feet off the front bumper. Next thing I knew I had deer running every which way. My dad was watching the whole thing from a ways out. He was laughing so hard at the "OH SCHIDT" look I had on my face he about pizzed himself!

Last edited by gophergunner; 10/14/19.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several years ago I was driving back to camp from a spot I'd been hunting at and two farmers were punching out a patch of woods, half mile up the road from camp..They put out about a half dozen does, that kept right on running. I stopped way on down the road, figured to get up in the woods they were heading towards and ahead of 'em, maybe get one when they got down there?

Deer topped a high knoll in one hay field, ran down on either side of another neighbor's truck parked below the knoll, so I couldn't shoot. The old boy was in the truck, sound sleep. Still kid him about that when I see him. "You hunting today, or just out for a nap?" smile

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.