Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Talley LW’s too... Oh the horror!

P.S. I have a Leupold on my muzzle loader.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JGRaider
so I'm wondering why you'd want a 10 shot group in the first place as you'll likely never (neither have I) shoot 10 shots in a relatively short period. .

I, and others have tried to explain 10 round groups multiple times. If you really want to know why 10+ round groups are important for any rifle where accuracy matters-

Can you accept as a starting point that it has nothing to do with how many shots you fire at an animal?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by kingston
Talley LW’s too... Oh the horror!

Living dangerously. I have talley lwts on my primary hunting rifle. Need to get some dye for some periodic ndt testing. Once every 2 months? (grin)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
so I'm wondering why you'd want a 10 shot group in the first place as you'll likely never (neither have I) shoot 10 shots in a relatively short period. .

I, and others have tried to explain 10 round groups multiple times. If you really want to know why 10+ round groups are important for any rifle where accuracy matters-

Can you accept as a starting point that it has nothing to do with how many shots you fire at an animal?

Well said form. A lot of these jackwagons dont get it. It doesn't matter how many times you explain it to them. A good rule of thumb i like to use for any rifle regarding number of shots fired goes like this:

3 shot groups: sub moa
5 shot groups moa
10 shot groups: 1.5 moa

However, the more shots on target will tell you more about the rifle, shooter, load and true zero.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It's obviously not a BR gun, or a precision rifle , so I'm wondering why you'd want a 10 shot group in the first place as you'll likely never (neither have I) shoot 10 shots in a relatively short period. I could see shooting a couple of shots every day for 5 days at the same target to see what's happening, but otherwise I'd skip it entirely and look at a max 5 shot group MAYBE. If you're still intent on the 10 shot group I'd guess 1.5-2" on a good day with a skinny barrel.

Flame away boys.........

Johnny,

As you mention, nothing says the shots have to be fired as quick as you can accurately get them out of the barrel. In the interest of babying the throat on my rigs, I typically fire three or five rounds at the same POA until I have ten shots. I let the barrel cool after each 3 or five rounds. The end result is ten rounds at the same POA, which is a much better statistical indicator of how well the rifle does than a three shot group.

That being said, as far as group size goes, I’ve not found it to vary significantly whether I let the barrel cool or not, provided I’ve got a mechanically sound rig to begin with.

Give it a try. It’s a real eye opener.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 10/14/19.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree with you John, and I agree with Formid as well. It's not an ego or bragging thing, but the number of medium/big game animals I've killed over the past 46 years is a few hundred, and I've never fired a 10 shot string at one sitting in my life. This is likely the source of my hard headedness I guess. I've missed a few animals like everyone else, but don't make a habit of it and certainly couldn't blame the rifle. For the record, when proving up a load worthy of taking it to the field, I do fire a few 5 shot groups at 2-300 yards, letting barrel cool in between. I guess I can chalk it up to good rifles, good mounts, and scopes that don't wiggle much. If I were a precision long range guy I'd probably feel a little different, and I don't like super lightweights or skinny barrels either, for my use. I also believe shooter error, reloading error, factory ammo error, wind (even at 100 yds) etc can factor in to variations in larger gruops as well.

Last edited by JGRaider; 10/14/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The primary reason so many big game hunters don't care about 10-shot groups (or even 5-shot groups) is that by definition big game animals are relatively large targets. Even a pronghorn (one of the smaller big game animals in North America) has a vital area the size of a volleyball--about eight inches in diameter. Three-shot groups of even 1.5 inches at 100 yards are plenty small enough for hitting a volleyball at 300 yards, which is about as far as most hunters have any business shooting at pronghorns.

At longer ranges more precision can be required, depending on the size of the animal. But I normally shoot 10-shot groups when testing varmint rifles, especially those used on small burrowing rodents--and then I do shoot 10 rounds as fast as the rifle can be precisely aimed, because barrels can get warm on prairie dog towns, even if we bring two or more rifles to swap them out. I want to know if the barrel will wander as it warms up--and as a general rule want 10 rounds under an inch, and the more under an inch the better. Even a big prairie dog is a pretty small target, especially when you often don't get to shoot at the entire dog.

If your rifle doesn't put them ALL into an inch at 100, you're going to miss some PD's at 200 yards due to the rifle, not the wind or your hold. If you want to hit them consistently at 300, the rifle needs to put them ALL into less than 3/4" at 100. If you want to hit consistently beyond 300, even more accuracy is required--unless, of course, you're one of those PD shooters who only counts the hits, and doesn't care whether they expend several shots (or several dozen) to accidentally hit one at longer ranges.

Believe it or not, there are quite a few PD shooters like that, including a good friend of mine--who has no idea of the level of accuracy of his rifles, since he doesn't believe in shooting groups. I strongly suspect he thinks group-shooting wastes barrel life--but shooting several rounds at a prairie dog doesn't--as long as he eventually hits the dog.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
From another conversation:

Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by JMR40
Ive had 2-3 MT Rifles over the years. I've pretty much given up on Remington, but that is my favorite version of the 700. I really like the weight, balance and feel of the wood stocks they put on them. All of mine were 1" shooters for 3 shots. More than 3 and they shot patterns, but that wasn't a handicap on a hunting rifle.

How were they bedded, particularly the barrels?

A while back I installed a Mountain Rifle barreled action into a 5R Milspec stock which gave the barrel a very generous free float. At 300 yards I fired 8 rounds** and all holes fit within 2"x2" square.

**I didn't hurry, but I gave it no cooling time either.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
10-4 on the varmint rifles JB. Makes perfect sense.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Some great shooting there Jackmountain!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A good trick I've seen, but not done as yet, is to shoot a 3-shot group, put another target precisely over the first, then shoot another. Rinse, repeat, until you're satisfied. The bottom one tells the truth.

The top target when you get done is for your wallet (or maybe not!).

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
A good trick I've seen, but not done as yet, is to shoot a 3-shot group, put another target precisely over the first, then shoot another. Rinse, repeat, until you're satisfied. The bottom one tells the truth.

Straight out of the Social Media Sniper’s Handbook.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Higbean
Some great shooting there Jackmountain!

Great shooting rifle, not necessarily the shooter!
That rifle started as a nightmare. 4" groups, light firing pin strikes, FTF's, ejection issues, feeding issues....
Worked through everything with the help of a LOT of knowledgeable guys on this forum, except the accuracy.
Kimber took it, sent it back with a 3 shot 1 1/2" group shot with 40gr nosler's and said nothing wrong with it. Spent a year at a 'smith that I won't get into...
But in the end I couldn't be happier with it and It'll never be sold.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Straight out of the Social Media Sniper’s Handbook.

Chapter two is "it shoots in the .2's regularly, as long as I do my part"

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
My original question was based on groups I shot this weekend with the 7-08AI in the picture. It's been a little more finicky... definitely prefers free recoil. Groups of 10 @ 1" best to maybe 1 1/2" at worst. Hunting rifle, so plenty good, but wondered if I was settling too easy and should be demanding more from it. Really thinking about full length bedding it just to see.

Last edited by jackmountain; 10/14/19.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10 shots in 1.5” is a pretty good goal for a hunting rifle in my opinion.

My main rifles will do that, when they don’t it’s on me and not them.

Personally, for a lightweight like that, I don’t think I’d be chasing any more accuracy if it consistently puts them 1”-1.5”.

I always ask myself, would I see or benefit from any more accuracy from a field position?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I’ve begun 20 shoot groups. Cuz I’z better than you stupid fûckers.

😂😂😂🤣🤣😂😂😂 maa put a really nice shootn rust in the middle of the coffee table for me so I can rest whileS me’s shootn. (Little Popeye at the end).

Last edited by fredIII; 10/14/19. Reason: Accidentally spelled something right
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Jack good shooting!

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fredIII
Jack good shooting!

No Hawaiian shirts were harmed during that range session Fred

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I love that shirt. It’s going deer hunting in November.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.