Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I hunt the backcountry of the Adirondacks, mostly the High Peaks Wilderness Area. And my compass and maps have always been sufficient to get me back to camp or out to my truck, it's just that sometimes I may walk a mile or two further than needed. I have had a gps in the past, a Garmin eTrex Venture HC and found it extremely user UN friendly. I wonder if there is something available that is very simple. What I would like is something that would display a topo map, maybe 10 square miles, points on it that I make, like camp, truck, rub line, etc. And a mark where I am standing. The map oriented so north is at the top is very important! That's it. Quite simple really. What is available like this?

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Garmin 64s. They make several versions of it and they show up on sale for around $200 quite often.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/GARMIN-GPSMAP-X/3418949.uts?slotId=9

You'll need to download detailed maps. You can buy maps from Garmin, but most of the USA can be found for free at sites like this

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

You'll need to buy some mini SD cards. I have one card with all Southeastern states from TX to Virginia. Another card for a trip I made to Indiania. The only map I paid for was Colorado. It was $80 and worth the expense to ensure I didn't wander onto private property.

If you want touch screen the Garmin Oregon is basically the same unit with touch screen. It costs a bit more, doesn't do anything any better, just touch screen, and you rarely see them on sale.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Garmin-Oregon/2376605.uts?slotId=2

Either will do what you want and are a significant step up over the E-trex, but you do have to put in some time learning how to use it.

I lay down tracks showing exactly where I've been each day with waypoints marked. I've never needed it to find my way back, but it can mean getting back in the shortest path. It is also helpful to get back to an exact spot especially if coming from a different path the next time. At the end of each day I download my tracks to my computer and overlay them onto Google earth. That way I can see where I've been and possibly scout other places.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wasn't there just a thread on this recently? Maybe my mind is failing and it was on another site. Anyway, if you have a smart phone you can download ONX. Yes it works when you don't have cell service and does everything you are asking and more.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Garmin 64

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember that a GPS receiver is NOT A SUBSTITUTE for a USGS map and a compass.

Buy a subscription to OnX or GAIA and put it on your smart phone.

I used a Garmin eTrex Summit for years and then a Garmin 64ST. The Garmin 64ST screen is too small and it has other problems which I won't spend the time detailing.

I put GAIA on a tablet. It's great but the tablet is a little too big to fit comfortably in a pocket. A smart phone is a better size.

I still loan my eTrex Summit to my grandson because it's easy to set your truck or camp as a waypoint so you can find your way back.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Recently upgraded from my 60ST to the new 66ST. Impressed so far - larger screen, quicker acquisition. Lot's of incremental improvements over the 60 / 62/ 64 versions.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Second Gaia or similar. Mapping and ability to enlarge on your smart phone screen is much better that my Garmin. Only advantage of Garmin is radio

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A one year subscription for your state with Onx costs about $30. It'll do topo or satellite and everything else you specified. Before you spend $2 or 300 for a GPS, give it a try. For that price, it's hard to beat. You can use your computer to subscribe, then just download the app on your phone and open your account. You can use your account on any phone or tablet as long as you install the free app. You don't need cell service to use it. You can download the maps you want at home and they will work offline. Just put your phone on airplane to save the battery if you like.
It'll track either north up or current direction up.

They have a free 7 day trial. Give it a try.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you have cell service, or download maps to your phone first. Your smartphone can do the job. Garmin 64 is about the best one I have used.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gaiagps- it's the sole reason I bought a smartphone 7 years ago- now my 6 oz phone is a GPS, camera and even occasionally a phone smile

contrary to what some think, it doesn't rely on cell service, I actually put mine in airplane mode as soon as I head out- solely relies on satellites like any other gps; you can mark waypoints, import routes, track your routes- anything a gps can do

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you plan to use OnX maps make sure you download the area when you have a high speed connection to your offline content. You have options for higher or lower resolution but it will do several miles square.

Then operate your phone in airplane mode when you have shaky or no connection. I also carry a portable recharger for the phone since the battery life suffers in cold weather. It tracks your location well but not perfectly like most gps units but the graphics & property lines are fantastic.

Handy to have gps, phone, camera in one package.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by specneeds
If you plan to use OnX maps make sure you download the area when you have a high speed connection to your offline content. You have options for higher or lower resolution but it will do several miles square.

Then operate your phone in airplane mode when you have shaky or no connection. I also carry a portable recharger for the phone since the battery life suffers in cold weather. It tracks your location well but not perfectly like most gps units but the graphics & property lines are fantastic.

Handy to have gps, phone, camera in one package.

Onx gives you 3 options. 1st is a map 5 miles wide. it has the best resolution. Next is 10 miles wide and then 100 miles wide. Resolution drops as the maps get bigger.
The gps in my phone isn't as good as my Garmin Montana but it's close enough that I've never had a problem. This is open country, though. Someone else will have to tell you if it's good enough for thick swamps. The Garmin will get me within 3'. My phone might vary 5 yards sometimes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Id suggest a garmin with color screen and on-X maps. I have and use an Oregon 550 that ive used for years, i also have a Dakota. The Dakota is smaller and the batteries last longer, but its only in the pack for an emergency if the 550 fails. I also have on-x on my phone, but dont rely on the phone as a GPS. My elk hunting buddy and i have had to pick up our fair share of suckers walking down the road because the battery in their phone died while using it as a GPS. You guys want to keep using them, well i guess my partner and i will keep helping you out.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Garmin 64st. (Is it needed to say Garmin anymore? I mean....who else makes a retail GPS? I wish DeLorme still did.)

I'm not in the cell phone only crowd. Yeah, sure, it's all possible to download offline maps etc. but show me a person who can do it right their first 3-5 attempts. I guess I'm just stupid.

A GPS with fresh batteries usually just starts up & works and is somewhat intuitive. (Hey, there's a map with me as the arrow in the center.)

And, KC's advice about a good protractor compass with magnetic declination and a USGS 1:24K quad topo map is spot on. This shouldn't even have to be said IMHO.

Murphy was a grunt.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I call BS, it’s pretty easy to get 3 or 4 days from a phone using On-X.

OP, like many have said, On-X is great but also use the Garmin 66I since I am often hunting alone. Gives the wife peace of mind and am able to communicate no matter where I am.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
My elk hunting buddy and i have had to pick up our fair share of suckers walking down the road because the battery in their phone died while using it as a GPS. You guys want to keep using them, well i guess my partner and i will keep helping you out.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
my Iphone X is good for at least two days using On-X, Usually with a lot of battery left over. I have a 2 big Anker batteries that are each good for 4-5 full charges so that gets me through most hunts. On-x does what I need map wise, the phone also is a camera and plays audio books for when I am back in the tent. I also use it to take notes and of course depending on where you are it may function as a phone.

Now if you in a place with no service and you don't put the phone in airplane mode it will eat battery, or if you have a 5 year old phone with a shot battery then your not going to be pleased with a cell phone as a GPS.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pretty much any modern Garmin is going to do what you want, especially with an OnX chip. One with the standard 1/100,000 topo may be enough for what you're wanting too.

Lots of folks use OnX on their phones, but I can't figure that crap out. Way easier to throw a chip in and go from there, for me at least, regardless of battery longevity. With a regular Garmin you could always throw a coupe extra batteries in your pack, if that's a concern of yours.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

OP, like many have said, On-X is great but also use the Garmin 66I since I am often hunting alone. Gives the wife peace of mind and am able to communicate no matter where I am.

My elk hunting buddy and i have had to pick up our fair share of suckers walking down the road because the battery in their phone died while using it as a GPS. You guys want to keep using them, well i guess my partner and i will keep helping you out.

Yes! It doesn't take much to keep a phone charged to be used. Wonder if he challenges them to the 24hour shooting challenge when he picks them up???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I My elk hunting buddy and i have had to pick up our fair share of suckers walking down the road because the battery in their phone died while using it as a GPS. You guys want to keep using them, well i guess my partner and i will keep helping you out.

that gave me a good laugh laugh

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SLM

Yes. Airplane mode. I might charge my phone twice during 7 day backpack hunts...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.