Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I am looking at a couple of IWB holsters for a 9mm sig. I have a cooks holster now, they are $60 and I was looking for a less expensive company that provided a quality holster. The CYA holsters veteran owned looks like a decent holster, clinger makes something very similar in their stingray model, Vedder and Cooks are about the same price, or $20 more. I wonder if your paying for the name, or there is some specific technical reason vedder or cooks is a better holster?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I suspect that every town in America with more than three stoplights has at least one guy in it that's cooking kydex in his garage or basement. Same goes for stippling polymer pistols.

Generally speaking, making them isn't particularly difficult or expensive but after owning and examining quite a few brands (Vedder, for example) I've found that a number of them lack any meaningful "design" features built into them. Some of these features (retention, rake, contours, etc) are rather subtle in nature and can go unappreciated until the holster is actually worn.

Anyhow, I said all that say my go-to maker for IWB stuff is JM Custom and his products have proven to me once again that more times than not "you get what you pay for".

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like the CYA holster is actually boltaron, not kydex, but some prefer that material. One site I looked at called it a "kydex equivalent" but I have no idea how close they are chemically.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 41magfan
I suspect that every town in America with more than three stoplights has at least one guy in it that's cooking kydex in his garage or basement. Same goes for stippling polymer pistols.

Generally speaking, making them isn't particularly difficult or expensive but after owning and examining quite a few brands (Vedder, for example) I've found that a number of them lack any meaningful "design" features built into them. Some of these features (retention, rake, contours, etc) are rather subtle in nature and can go unappreciated until the holster is actually worn.

Boy, isn't that the truth! Frequently, I have to wonder if they really wear and use what they sell.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I am happy with my cooks holster from GA, but its hard to say what makes it $60 and the CLA $40.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am happy with my cooks holster from GA, but its hard to say what makes it $60 and the CLA $40.

Looking at a whole bunch of kydex holsterers (real word?) I'd say that Cook's and Vedder seem to be in the general price range that you see. I suspect maybe CYA is not sustainable at that low price, but who knows. For $40 give them a try and see if you like it, you can likely recoup a big chunk if you don't like it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I like the concept of a molded Kydex IWB holster, because I like the feeling of a handgun snapping in place as you holster it. It's confidence inspiring. However, I don't like the feeling of Kydex IWB holsters near as much as the feeling of leather. Too slippery. Doesn't lend itself to staying put against your body, but slides around.

Also, the snaps they tend to use tend to be much trickier, in my experience, to fasten and unfasten.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
https://www.concealmentexpress.com/collections/iwb-kydex-holsters

I just got one for my Glock 43 and love it. Made in USA, fast delivery, adjustable cant, got 15% off, $29 and some change delivered.

Deus Juvat

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I general-purpose carry with HAWG Holsters for 9mm. UltiClip XL on a 1 1/2" Hank's CCW Belt.

https://www.hawgholsters.com/

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buy a $15.00 Kydex holster off of Amazon and then buy a Vedder, PJ, Celtic, etc and you'll easily see the difference. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

IC B3

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
What about a $40 from a veteran owned company?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (6mmbrfan, 14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.