Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have just finished reading "The Earth Is Weeping", a book abut the Indian wars in the American West. Very good book. So, the title of the thread......what did the CSA and the Indians have in common........they both got screwed over big time by the US government.

Anyway you cut it, the Indians got the shaft. They were lied to, cheated, pushed, shoved, murdered, starved, and screwed to the limit. Yeah, I know, the Americans just did to them what they did to another tribe......right? No.....the Indians were here to begin with, and earned "squatters rights". The White man wanted their country, so he took it.

The same Yankee generals that screwed the South.....Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, and Custer also did the same to the Indians, hence the connection. They burned and starved them out just as they did the South......all in name of righteousness and justice. At least that's the way I see it.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
so......Happy Columbus Day !

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What the US did to the Native tribes is reprehensible. What the CS did to try and retain human enslavement is reprehensible. Both populations still bear the scars and stigma of their past.

Just remember that the democraps were the enemy then and they are the enemy now.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What Did The Confederate States And The Indians Had In Common?
They both got their azzes handed to them for defying the federal government.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have just finished reading "The Earth Is Weeping", a book abut the Indian wars in the American West. Very good book. So, the title of the thread......what did the CSA and the Indians have in common........they both got screwed over big time by the US government.

Anyway you cut it, the Indians got the shaft. They were lied to, cheated, pushed, shoved, murdered, starved, and screwed to the limit. Yeah, I know, the Americans just did to them what they did to another tribe......right? No.....the Indians were here to begin with, and earned "squatters rights". The White man wanted their country, so he took it.

The same Yankee generals that screwed the South.....Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, and Custer also did the same to the Indians, hence the connection. They burned and starved them out just as they did the South......all in name of righteousness and justice. At least that's the way I see it.

When 2 societies/cultures/civilizations come into contact with each other, the stronger will always come out on top - squatter's rights or not.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How did the South's slaves see it?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I agree completely.
Grants administration was totally corrupt.
Sand Creek... horrible.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They both got their asses whipped!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Native Americans were and continue to be poorly treated by the legally elected government of the United States.

The leaders of the CSA chose to fire the first shot and since political leaders aren't military leaders, the enlisted soldiers and company grade officers on both sides paid the highest price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes! Just finished reading a book called "First Peoples." About the most highly researched historical material I've seen on tribes from every portion of the US. What I had not realized was the scale and organization of their pre-Columbus civilizations. Some cities and settlements numbering into the 10's of thousands in population. Disease was likely the serious killer followed by the US Government's persistent inroads. Had disease not been an issue, Angelo Saxons just might have gotten our asses kicked.

I'm pulling this statistic out of the air, but had our government indeed honored even half of the well documented treaties, I suspect the tribes would control over 50% of this nation's landscapes.

I don't feel much personal guilt though, as my roots are in Germany and Scotland with arrivals here after WW I.

Sadly, I don't see much better regarding truth and honesty in our political world today.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/14/19.

1Minute
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Weren't the different tribes whipping each other and taking lands well before whitey got into the game?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mathman:

Yes. Same as most of our history in both Europe, Asia, Africa, South
America, and here in the states. Wars and rumors of wars........ My recent readings, however, suggest it was more on the scale of tribal pestering (very little mass killing) before they acquired our technology.

Have a good one,

1Minute
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
They both got themselves reconstructed or in other words,were subjected to internal colonialism.

Just whitey portion made out a little better.

Btw?????? What the hell we gonna do now with all them freed slaves????

Idea!!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Naismith

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes! Just finished reading a book called "First Peoples." About the most highly researched historical material I've seen on tribes from every portion of the US. What I had not realized was the scale and organization of their pre-Columbus civilizations. Some cities and settlements numbering into the 10's of thousands in population. Disease was likely the serious killer followed by the US Government's persistent inroads. Had disease not been an issue, Angelo Saxons just might have gotten our asses kicked.

I'm pulling this statistic out of the air, but had our government indeed honored even half of the well documented treaties, I suspect the tribes would control over 50% of this nation's landscapes.

I don't feel much personal guilt though, as my roots are in Germany and Scotland with arrivals here after WW I.

Sadly, I don't see much better regarding truth and honesty in our political world today.

I will look for the book. I have been reading the same for years, but never in a well documented format.

Most recently mentioned have been digs on midwestern river banks showing evidence of large Native American cities, previously mentioned only in writings and records from exploration done by Ponce de Leon. Cities long depopulated and grown over by grasslands before American expansion got there.

The dark ages in Europe was an ugly time in our history. Disease and depopulation leave behind the worst of humanity. The dark ages in Europe were brought on by the Black Death.

Most of what we know of the Native American tribes comes from the dark ages in America.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My initial thought was human slavery as an integral part of their culture but I guess that's not what the OP was going for.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yes, the same generals and soldiers who were so concerned about freeing a subjugated people went west and summarily slaughtered then subjugated people. In Other words, neither was about the subjugated people, it was all about nation building. But hey, who am I to screw up a good bed time story.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by baxterb
Yes, the same generals and soldiers who were so concerned about freeing a subjugated people went west and summarily slaughtered then subjugated people. In Other words, neither was about the subjugated people, it was all about nation building. But hey, who am I to screw up a good bed time story.

it was about nation building for sure.

and the nation with the best technology usually conquers others..

some say that columbus invaded america. others say ol lief was first in the invasionary category.

at any rate, life marches on.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Vae victis

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Vae victis

P

and on top of that unfortunate set of circumstances,

it's the victor's job & responsibility to write up the history report.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks to our freedom of the press we do a much better job of getting both sides of the story.

Tons of books about Confederates and about Indians.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (160user, 1234, 10ring1, 16penny, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,891
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.