Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Pocket guns, grab and go guns, summer guns, they are all a compromise. If you are at all serious about the defense of your family and/or self you will always carry, and you will choose a gun and carry method that optimizes the chances of winning a fight. No one, I repeat, no one, can predict the time or nature of that fight.

A shot timer is a great pathway to the truth, can you get off a shot from retention at bad breath distance in close to 1 second at contact distance? Can you draw and fire your weapon of choice into 6" at 7 yards in <than 3 seconds? Can you hit a 12" target at 50 yards on demand? All of these are standard drills and are achievable by regular folks that admit that reality is a bitdtch and do the work.

Almost everyone has the choice and can compromise to their hearts content, the easy and comfortable way is rarely the best way.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Pocket guns, grab and go guns, summer guns, they are all a compromise. If you are at all serious about the defense of your family and/or self you will always carry, and you will choose a gun and carry method that optimizes the chances of winning a fight. No one, I repeat, no one, can predict the time or nature of that fight.

A shot timer is a great pathway to the truth, can you get off a shot from retention at bad breath distance in close to 1 second at contact distance? Can you draw and fire your weapon of choice into 6" at 7 yards in <than 3 seconds? Can you hit a 12" target at 50 yards on demand? All of these are standard drills and are achievable by regular folks that admit that reality is a bitdtch and do the work.

Almost everyone has the choice and can compromise to their hearts content, the easy and comfortable way is rarely the best way.

mike r

While I surely agree with the thrust & most of your post, try living in a northern winter, wearing a sweatshirt or similar, with a jacket or coat, carrying IWB, ('cause sometimes you gotta take your coat off) & drawing in 1 second with any size gun.

And while I'm not at all a fan of mouse guns & pretty much won't carry one, ever, that scenario is a good candidate for jacket carry with a J-frame, G-26/27 or similar. Wish it could always be a G-19 or an M&P or a Commander or something that I can hit a 12" target at 50 yards of command with but that just doesn't work.

So yes, sometimes circumstances dictate some level of compromise from the ideal.

YMMV

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

While I surely agree with the thrust & most of your post, try living in a northern winter, wearing a sweatshirt or similar, with a jacket or coat, carrying IWB, ('cause sometimes you gotta take your coat off) & drawing in 1 second with any size gun.

And while I'm not at all a fan of mouse guns & pretty much won't carry one, ever, that scenario is a good candidate for jacket carry with a J-frame, G-26/27 or similar. Wish it could always be a G-19 or an M&P or a Commander or something that I can hit a 12" target at 50 yards of command with but that just doesn't work.

So yes, sometimes circumstances dictate some level of compromise from the ideal.

YMMV

MM

Good post .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AMT Backup II - the choice of professionals everywhere.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

Remember those? Big in the 1980s.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I never saw one that was reliable. In any caliber.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Remember those? Big in the 1980s.

I know, I'm laughing because one rides beneath my truck seat as - a backup! - to my USP Compact. Hey, it goes BANG every time I've ever pulled the trigger on it.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I never saw one that was reliable. In any caliber.

Mine must have been made on a Wednesday....or I just haven't ran it hard enough to reveal it's inherent flaws laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

Good points made, sir, and I'd fail miserably at these drills. Time for more range work.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I used to work at a gun shop that did a lot of business with the police, and the Backup was by far their choice for a back up gun.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being a 1911 kind of guy, I would be looking for a Colt Mustang Pocketlite. The Pony Pocketlite is similar size, but double action only and being that light, a dao would be harder to shoot accurately. I've got the stainless Government model .380 that I like, but the Pocketlite Aluminum frame would be lighter.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

YMMV

MM

Good post .

Good excuse, easier than practice. A G26 will get the job done, figuring out a way to carry it in the cold is not quite on the level of rocket surgery. To each their own.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If I was in the market for a pistol the size of a Glock 42 it would be in 9mm.
Once you get into that size of pistol, there's all kinds of 9mm's to choose from.

This!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I "found" an AMT Backup .380 in a camper I was junking out, and it is a good little pistol for "Backup" use. Later I bought a used Backup in .45 ACP that I like a lot, also.

Mike Holmes

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ol_mike
thinking a 380acp for warm weather carrying in safe [hopefully safe] daytime places . So ?

For the money a Ruger LCP II isn't bad at all for what you describe. Good grip with the Hogue and I prefer the trigger over the original LCP.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sounds like I missed out on the LCP II. Mine is an early LCP and it’s no fun.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't understand people remarking on the recoil of these little pistols. Yeah,..they're a little snappy. But once you've shot the forcing cone out of a 5.5" .44 mag Ruger Blackhawk it takes a bit of recoil to impress you.

I bought a bag of brass and a big box of 100 grain cast bullets when I first got my LCP and wrung it out *good*. It bounces a little,...but it's not enough to worry about.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
There’s no reason to buy a 380 really. The 9mm options got so small that you may as well get a 9mm.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you are thinking about a Glock 42, --- get a Glock 43
The size difference is minimal and its a 9mm

I have had a Kel Tec P3AT for a long time, it has been absolutely reliable.
My grab and go gun for a quick store run, drop in shorts pocket and go---

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Ruger LCP 380. Way under $500 and probably the most reliable.380 out there.

This. I've been carrying one for years. It's been trouble free. I did replace the springs with a set from Wolff springs.

Buds has em for under $200.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 65 invisible), 3,053 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.