Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
On our property there a a couple of good size sassafras trees that have been blown down.
One is 24"+ in diameter and has about 30' of straight trunk, and the other is 18-20" diameter with 25' straight.
At this point I'm just looking to get something out of them, on my sawmill.
What uses are there for sassafras wood, and where might a person find buyers for it?
I've heard it's used in some bows, but anything else?

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Retails for about 10 bucks a bf.

Sassafras (Sassafras albidum) heartwood is pale to golden brown, resembling ash or chestnut. The narrow sapwood is yellowish white. Sassafras lumber has a coarse texture much like Oak and is generally straight-grained. Well-known as an aromatic species it is said that it resist moths and other winged pests much like Aromatic Red Cedar does. It is light weight but strong.

Sassafras lumber is easily worked and takes a finish well. It glues well and holds screws very well. Interestingly enough, the roots and blossoms of this tree were used by colonial Americans to make tea.

Sassafras lumber is great for furniture, millwork, custom moldings, windows, doors and cabinet work. It is also used to make walking sticks, musical instruments and beautiful hand crafted Canoes. It is very buoyant and was the primary wood for making oars and boat paddles before fiberglass came along. Sassafras lumber is also very rot resistant. Sassafras is a great all around wood which will work well for nearly any project that you have in mind.

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is very nice wood to work, just lacks figure usually. I love cutting it for the root beer smell. One would think it would be easy to sell to furniture makers?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a mantel cut out of 34" diameter log . 4" full in. by 14" deep and 8 ft. long , it's over my fireplace . Looks great, I left it rough sawn and it's aging beautifully after 8 years . I could smell it for about 2 years. I have drank more than my fair share of tea over the years and the grain is very attractive. I have a big solid chunk leftover that I may turn into a bowl.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had several, but the Reverend Ike took care of them along with several white oaks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen furniture made out of it, but to be honest, there isn't much of a market for it, at least not here. The sassafras trees are all dying here, as a insect is killing them.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Lot’s of Root Beer! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad made a bar top and a large bench out of some lumber from a big sassafras. They look really nice. You don't see large sassafras trees very often any more.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
my dad ended up with a bunch of rough cut planks somewhere. i planed them and ripped and routered them for trim in our bunk house. i just slapped some spar varnish on it and now 25 years later it looks really, really nice. like a honey oak kind of look with a subtle grain.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great wood for many things, but avoid ingestion thru any path as it carries carcinogenic compound traces.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassafras

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I never knew that sassafras trees grew that large. Interesting.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
These are two of about 25-30 large sassafras trees on the property.
Sapling size ones number in the hundreds.
One of those thumb size saplings showed me just how flexible and tough it is. And still is, after I decided it was done kicking my azz after bending, pulling and twisting on it for a bit.
I could hear the little bastard snickering at me as I walked away.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Make a large fuggin' cup of sassafras tea.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Left to their own they get quite big in time. Have several at my place, one is about 40' tall with a butt diameter of about 8".

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Dan, I always wear a half mask respirator and a tyvek hoodie suit when working with volatile wood like walnut and hemlock.
Thanks for the reminder.

Mark

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Very easy wood to work with grain characteristics much like oak. Great for furniture.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I never knew that sassafras trees grew that large. Interesting.

my uncle, since passed worked for the wpa, and the ccc's. they'd attack them with cross cut's and axes.
same thing with buckeyes while building and improving roads in the se usa during the depression.

it was make work, and also very hard physical work.

sassafras leaves are also used in seasoning.

and the roots make the tea. add sugar.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Golf club wood heads were made of it. At one time the Japanese would buy it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I do a fair bit of wood craft from time to time and work with a fairly populated variety of woods. Prefer the hardwoods but do a lot with red cedar...fella wants his eyes opened on price he should check out the cost and applications for magnolia.

FWIW one of my favorites is persimmon.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sassafras is pretty good looking wood Mark.

I guess if I was gonna cut it up I'd cut some up into slabs and some up into lathe stock.

[Linked Image from wood-database.com]

[Linked Image from wood-database.com]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,041 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.