Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They both lost?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The past is just that, and it only repeats itself because we are human and flawed, not because we forget it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
people have ben killing other people for as long as people have been alive .it aint going to stop tell there is no people to kill other people

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try reading Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C.Gwynne about the history of the Comanches in West Texas. Unlike the northern Sioux and to a lesser extent the Arizona Apaches, and the eastern tribes of Cherokees, Algonquins, etc. who had earmarks of civilization despite their warring culture, the Comanches were the most ruthless killers of the plains, with little to recommend them except for their horsemanship. Puts a whole different perspective on the term "noble savage."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by baxterb
Yes, the same generals and soldiers who were so concerned about freeing a subjugated people went west and summarily slaughtered then subjugated people. In Other words, neither was about the subjugated people, it was all about nation building.

Worth repeating.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevelyn
What the US did to the Native tribes is reprehensible. What the CS did to try and retain human enslavement is reprehensible. Both populations still bear the scars and stigma of their past.

Just remember that the democraps were the enemy then and they are the enemy now.

The north didn't care if the south had slaves, they just wanted the south to keep funding the federal government. The south started dealing directly with England and France, thus cutting out the middle man, ie, the north. Thus the north started losing money. That was the cause of the Civil War.

Added: I'm not saying the slavery was right, it wasn't. But the north didn't care if the south had slaves. It was all about money and states rights.

Last edited by Oldman3; 10/14/19.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How would you govern a country that had nomadic killers roaming the countryside at will stealing and killing? Well armed and well horsed at that. The U.S. government had to establish civil order and wasn't about to leave the country unprotected from the "merciless Indian savage". I don't see much similarity between the Indians and the confederates.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by kenjs1
so......Happy Columbus Day !

+1

Ted
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
.the Indians were here to begin with, and earned "squatters rights".

Savages, nothing more; but they did have something in common with the rebs- they both fought with sticks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
They both wanted to be left alone.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reloder28
They both wanted to be left alone.

Both wanted to trade; so that's not the truth.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by stevelyn
What the US did to the Native tribes is reprehensible. What the CS did to try and retain human enslavement is reprehensible. Both populations still bear the scars and stigma of their past.

Just remember that the democraps were the enemy then and they are the enemy now.

The north didn't care if the south had slaves, they just wanted the south to keep funding the federal government. The south started dealing directly with England and France, thus cutting out the middle man, ie, the north. Thus the north started losing money. That was the cause of the Civil War.

Added: I'm not saying the slavery was right, it wasn't. But the north didn't care if the south had slaves. It was all about money and states rights.

I think that for the average Union soldier it was mostly about avenging the attack on Fort Sumter and preserving the Union.

If McClellan had been half the General that Grant was, he would have defeated the Army of Northern Virginia during the Peninsula Campaign and captured Richmond in 1962, thus shortening the War and saving tens of thousands of lives on both sides. Or so it seems to me. Nothing anyone who is alive today does or says will change the outcome of something that ended over 150 years ago. You can play "what if" all you want, but it doesn't change a single thing.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have just finished reading "The Earth Is Weeping", a book abut the Indian wars in the American West. Very good book. So, the title of the thread......what did the CSA and the Indians have in common........they both got screwed over big time by the US government.

Anyway you cut it, the Indians got the shaft. They were lied to, cheated, pushed, shoved, murdered, starved, and screwed to the limit. Yeah, I know, the Americans just did to them what they did to another tribe......right? No.....the Indians were here to begin with, and earned "squatters rights". The White man wanted their country, so he took it.

The same Yankee generals that screwed the South.....Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, and Custer also did the same to the Indians, hence the connection. They burned and starved them out just as they did the South......all in name of righteousness and justice. At least that's the way I see it.

The American Civil War was the second American Revolution.

America lost.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
there's ideologies, and there's technologies.

technology is hard to beat.

when an idea's time has come, it's hard to beat.

lock together a good ideology and a good technology, and get ready to pay taxes.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Gus,

Don’t forget those pesky germs!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Gus,

...or steel or guns. 😉

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Gus,

...or steel or guns. 😉

He,d pretty much covered them with his technologies comment! 😉

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gus,

indeed, dear Friend, indeed!

some would suggest the best defense we humans have against the invasionary aliens is our microbes on urth who travel with us.

i'll have to defer to mtnsnake as to how this defensive manuever will be applied.

humans trying to adapt to living on the urth, and flies, mosquitos, chiggers, and endless disease attempting to wipe us out.

and in our guts we have allied forces traveling with us, and defending us as we conquer new country.

ideas & technology, when allied will become pretty much unstoppable??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have just finished reading "The Earth Is Weeping", a book abut the Indian wars in the American West. Very good book. So, the title of the thread......what did the CSA and the Indians have in common........they both got screwed over big time by the US government.

Anyway you cut it, the Indians got the shaft. They were lied to, cheated, pushed, shoved, murdered, starved, and screwed to the limit. Yeah, I know, the Americans just did to them what they did to another tribe......right? No.....the Indians were here to begin with, and earned "squatters rights". The White man wanted their country, so he took it.

The same Yankee generals that screwed the South.....Grant, Sherman, Sheridan, and Custer also did the same to the Indians, hence the connection. They burned and starved them out just as they did the South......all in name of righteousness and justice. At least that's the way I see it.

The United States was built on exploitation of Native Americans who were here when the Europeans arrived and Africans who were brought here as slaves.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.