Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Holston Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’ve been thinking lately it’s time to invest in a spotter or possibly some bigger binos and a tripod setup.

I live and hunt in the east, so I won’t be sitting behind these for days on end. I just have a few places I’d love to be able to sit and glass for a while, especially while scouting. My 8x42s aren’t cutting it in a lot places!

I’m just getting my feelers out there right now, never used them at all. I’m guessing I’d probably enjoy a bigger set of binos, maybe 15-18x a lot more than I would an actual spotter.

Don’t really have a set budget, but I know that’s the first question that comes up so I’ll throw a rough $1500 out there and see what happens. Mostly looking at pros and cons of binos vs spotters and what most of you prefer.

Last edited by Holston; 10/14/19.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How far and close will you be glassing?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Go 8x bino and a 15-45 spotter Spotter gets used a fraction of the time the bino gets used, but when you need it, you need it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
IMO, the biggest con of a spotter is eye strain if you're actually scanning with it. I use mine only when I have found something in my binos that I want a better look at.

Concentrating through one eye, while moving the scope around gets old real fast. If you're actually looking for critters over fairly big areas, big binos are the way to go.

When in the forests of western Montana, which is closer to the habitat type that I suspect you're talking about, I rarely look at something at more than 5-600 yards away. I usually don't even bother with a spotter there if I am just after deer or elk and don't need to get a real good look to determine legality. I just carry my binos.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GregW
How far and close will you be glassing?

500-1500ish yards.

Originally Posted by Calvin
Go 8x bino and a 15-45 spotter Spotter gets used a fraction of the time the bino gets used, but when you need it, you need it.

You’re probably right...I’m just afraid I’d leave the spotter at home much more than a big bino.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
IMO, the biggest con of a spotter is eye strain if you're actually scanning with it. I use mine only when I have found something in my binos that I want a better look at.

Concentrating through one eye, while moving the scope around gets old real fast. If you're actually looking for critters over fairly big areas, big binos are the way to go.

When in the forests of western Montana, which is closer to the habitat type that I suspect you're talking about, I rarely look at something at more than 5-600 yards away. I usually don't even bother with a spotter there if I am just after deer or elk and don't need to get a real good look to determine legality. I just carry my binos.

Yea that’s kinda the way I’m thinking as well.

IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If your not trying to judge something, I’d go 12X/15X on a tripod all day over a spotter.

Have you tried your 8X on a tripod? A tripod alone can be a game changer.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have never used a tripod.

You have me thinking, I might be better off buying the tripod first.

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
From experience, the tripod is just as important as the optic you choose. I bought a medium quality ($200) tripod for two weeks in the Andes which proved to be the only bad equipment choice mistake I made. Get a fabric shelf to be able to put a heavy rock on it to keep it from moving and anchored and focus on the best head you can afford with precision movement with zero play. Even the slightest, minute bit of play in the head can ruin your day trying to stay on spot at high power. I literally quit using the spotter because the tripod made the job such a fricking hassle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO go with binoculars.

We do a great deal of glassing for coues wt in S. Az. Also use the system for other game animals. Most of the guys I know that do this, including me, use the Swarovski 15X binoculars with a tripod. What you will find is amazing. I remember when had been using 10X on a tripod for several years and switched to the 15X swaros. I kept seeing spikes running with several does. At first I thought wow this is a special year with all those small bucks then it hit me, I was unable to see them with the lower power binos!

An earlier poster said put your existing binos on a tripod. That would be a good starting point. I watch hunting shows where they are out looking for animals and hand holding their binos. If they only knew how many animals they were missing! The trick is to pan horizontally in small amounts so field of views overlap slightly. Hold binos still and watch for a few seconds. Then move to next view. After covering the area move up (or down) and pan horizontally again repeat until entire area has been viewed. Often on the second or third complete survey of opposing slope you will suddenly see an animal! Often you will see a tiny movement or perhaps part of a deer. Using a tripod will give you this edge. Add higher power and you will see stuff others won't see.

Last edited by Azshooter; 10/15/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Using a tripod with your binocular will improve your glassing tremendously. You'll think you stepped up in optical quality without getting new glass

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd get a quality tripod, a quality head and quality 12-15x binoculars as the guys have already said. It's a whole new world out there with this setup.

If you are not analyzing detail, a spotter won't be needed.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies.

I’m going to grab a tripod and head and use it a bit before I buy more glass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have a few minutes please give us a call and speak with Joel (he's the resident tripod guru) and he can assist you
516-217-1000

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My eyes are good to 400 yards. My 8x42 binos are good to 1000+ yards. My spotter is good for miles.

8 power I can hold steady unsupported, and they're easily packable. 10 power and up require support.

Since I hunt, the 8x42 binos go with me, the spotter stays in the truck. I don't have a scenario where I need to resolve stuff more than a half mile in front of me when on foot, so I wouldn't choose high-magnification binos.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This in spades ^^^^^^^^^^^^ and for the east, i can't argue with the 8x binos for a lot of reasons.

But for hunting in the west, most of time, I really much, much more prefer a 10x bino.

MM

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Dead on!! If you can't do both at once, I'd do binoculars first simply because of how much more time they're in use. It is AND, though, not OR ... you need both, just different "strength of need."

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

+1, I have and use a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 binos and an old Leupold Gold Ring 20x50 spotter. Great setup for covering lots of miles here in Idaho.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've recently got to test the Vortex 50mm 11-33, Kowa 55mm 15-45x, and Meopta 15x56 and Maven B5 18x56 in mountains. I went back and forth on the spotter vs high mag bino debate. I can tell you a few things that I learned.

First, you get what you pay for. Comparing an expensive bino vs a cheap spotter, or vice versa, the more expensive piece of glass will be more impressive.

However, unless the price point is extremely uneven, each will always be superior to the other in different ways. The spotter will always be able to resolve more detail. If you need to make this investment to see small detail or very far away, the spotter is the best direction. But, if you don't need to, say, count moose brow tines, judge full curl sheep, or count points, and finding the animal at great distances is the great challenge for your hunt circumstances, we two-eyed creatures will be much more effective looking with both eyes. Even at a lower magnification.

I think for the above reason, is why so many are so certain in either direction. It really depends on the nature of the hunt. For me, in Alaska, bull moose, sheep, even caribou are fairly easy to find with 8 or 10x binoculars, then I want as much magnification and large diameter scope as possible to judge the legality of the animal. But if I need to sift through a valley for an animal this is camouflaged, I'm going to need a system to use both of my eyes to distinguish the slightest 'off' looking thing.

Out of the two spotters and two binos I mentioned at the top, I ended up keeping just the Maven 18x's. They're such a joy to look through for long periods and incredible to pick apart a landscape. The Kowa 55mm did show greater finer detail, but I decided that when I do really want to see that detail I would rather just pack my big Kowa 88mm.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

idahohikker
JoinedMay 10, 2017
Messages1,323
LocationID
I have a 65mm spotter and love to glass 2-4 miles often on greater than 20x magnification. I'd go with the spotter because I really think if you're in big country that can be glassed, you'll be limited with the 15x binos.

My spotter is a Vortex Viper and I experience basically zero eye strain on it. I don't know why I would want a 15x bino.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
I've recently got to test the Vortex 50mm 11-33, Kowa 55mm 15-45x, and Meopta 15x56 and Maven B5 18x56 in mountains. I went back and forth on the spotter vs high mag bino debate. I can tell you a few things that I learned.

First, you get what you pay for. Comparing an expensive bino vs a cheap spotter, or vice versa, the more expensive piece of glass will be more impressive.

However, unless the price point is extremely uneven, each will always be superior to the other in different ways. The spotter will always be able to resolve more detail. If you need to make this investment to see small detail or very far away, the spotter is the best direction. But, if you don't need to, say, count moose brow tines, judge full curl sheep, or count points, and finding the animal at great distances is the great challenge for your hunt circumstances, we two-eyed creatures will be much more effective looking with both eyes. Even at a lower magnification.

I think for the above reason, is why so many are so certain in either direction. It really depends on the nature of the hunt. For me, in Alaska, bull moose, sheep, even caribou are fairly easy to find with 8 or 10x binoculars, then I want as much magnification and large diameter scope as possible to judge the legality of the animal. But if I need to sift through a valley for an animal this is camouflaged, I'm going to need a system to use both of my eyes to distinguish the slightest 'off' looking thing.

Out of the two spotters and two binos I mentioned at the top, I ended up keeping just the Maven 18x's. They're such a joy to look through for long periods and incredible to pick apart a landscape. The Kowa 55mm did show greater finer detail, but I decided that when I do really want to see that detail I would rather just pack my big Kowa 88mm.

Interesting to hear you chose the Mavens over Meopta. Can you tell me a little more about that decision? I have both in 8x30/32. How are the eye cups on your Maven?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.