Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Done at last. only 11 acres, and a short two days, work, but getting to it with the rain was the kicker. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That looks pretty good, Richard!

I see it's still muddy there too...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing beats corn silage for cattle feed. You don't see much of it here stored like that, although sometimes they will blow it into the big bags instead of filling a silo.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
The pictures are not great, mostly I was pushing silage. We have been finishing the pack with a dualed tractor since 1988, we gat less rot on the top that way.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We store ours in ag bags.

Just finished today.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice Rainbow too, Ben!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Good to see more "ripe" power equipment!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]
Wabigoon
Am I seeing that right? Is it just spread out on the ground? How do you feed it to the cows, scoop it up or just let the cows at it? Do they gain weight off it? I know it's a lot of questions, I have never raised cows so just trying to learn. I hope to have cows before long.
Thanks in advance.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by keystoneben
We store ours in ag bags.

Just finished today.

Ben how do you get the silage into the bags? Some of our neighbors have bags like up by their milking barns and I wondered what they might be.
Thanks in advance.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

It's called an ag bagger.

The feed goes into the hopper, pushes it into the bag. The backstop and cables regulate the pressure to get the correct "pack" in the bag. As the machine pushes ahead the bag comes off the machine and fills. It's basically like a big sausage stuffer. A 9ft diameter machine does 1.25 ton per foot.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Farmer use the bags for shelled corn in the fall as well. .

That is a pit silo, dirt sides, concrete floor, the silage gets loaded with a loader, and mixed with a Oswalt auger mixing wagon, then fed in concrete fence line bunks.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Texczech

Wabigoon
Am I seeing that right? Is it just spread out on the ground? How do you feed it to the cows, scoop it up or just let the cows at it? Do they gain weight off it? I know it's a lot of questions, I have never raised cows so just trying to learn. I hope to have cows before long.
Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I’m not the OP but raised on a Kansas beef farm where we used cane silage for cattle feed. My brother runs the farm these days and had his 40 acres cut yesterday.
To your questions-

I believe that this silage is stored in a trench cut into a hill side, that’s what we did. The trench could be 12-15 feet deep and 20-50’ wide. Some silos are made of tilt up concrete walls, and there is the common upright silo and the newer option of long large plastic bags.

When feeding it, you scoop it from the silo into a feed wagon or truck that has augers in it. Then you drive next to a long set of feed bunks, and turn on the augers and drive parallel and next to the bunks. The silage is augered into the feed bunks. There may be other methods of distribution, but you don’t just turn the cattle loose in the silage.

Yes the cattle gain weight off it. Often there are grains and supplements added to the silage in the feed truck, to get the right balance of nutrients for the best weight gain.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Dale
I surely wouldn't have guessed that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Ben

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When I was a kid, taking it out of the silo was all hand work. Fork it into a trailer, drive it to the feed bunk and fork it into the bunk. Might be why I have back and shoulder trouble today

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ole_270
When I was a kid, taking it out of the silo was all hand work. Fork it into a trailer, drive it to the feed bunk and fork it into the bunk. Might be why I have back and shoulder trouble today

Climb up into the silo, use pick-ax to loosen, shovel down the tube, climb down, spread out the length of the bunk, getting jostled by swinging heads, and on one memorable day get a (thankfully, blunt) horn swung into the back of your thigh.

Fellow of exceeding girth in our area went out to shovel down silage without mentioning his plans. Didn't appear for supper, which was due cause for alarm. Turned up later after family had been frantically searching. Since he had climbed up there, he decided to make a day of it and shovel down plenty to pile up at the bottom for the next few days' feed. Inadvertently shoveled down enough to completely block his route of egress. Spent considerable time loading up his pockets and the tied-shut legs of his overalls, climbing back up, emptying out, and repeating the process until he had managed to open a path of departure.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Loading the feed wagon.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.