Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 1minute
Mathman:

Yes. Same as most of our history in both Europe, Asia, Africa, South
America, and here in the states. Wars and rumors of wars........ My recent readings, however, suggest it was more on the scale of tribal pestering (very little mass killing) before they acquired our technology.

Have a good one,

I guess if you consider killing all the men from age 8 and up and raping and using the woman and children as slaves as pestering?

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yankee war criminals burned out Mennonite farmers in the Shenandoah valley.
Who does that?
Sheridan, Sherman, Lincoln... all war criminals.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
not to get too far off topic, but to remain here on the earth with all the humans, we know the pirates/muslim raiders did well with madagascar. somebody imported slaves from africa, before that it was polynesian island.

anyways, the arabs as a ocean going group needed a base in the south of africa. they brought lot's of ideology, and needed workers.

later, the french with their viewpoints took over the island. the malagasy hung on to the best of their ability. a small island, at risk.

without good madagascar vanilla where would we be as we tried to enjoy our frozen ice cream in the hot summer of the south?

my point is that we humans don't mind killin' when it's perceived it's a required function in order to fulfill the mission orders.

is it right, or is it wrong? ask the conquistidors, they probably know?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
good post Gus. people will kill people for what they have it will allways be like that

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Conquered people hold grudges for a long time.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

With good reason,...considering the situation that the conquerers have placed the country in.

Currently,...America is a Yankee paradise,....and every day it becomes even more so.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
my ancestors, north of hadrian's wall were denied a lot of good beef that they thought they were worthy of having.

but they survived. the roman legions were not to be messed with, but only dealt with in a manner like the viet cong dealt with the french.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Bristoe

mike r

With good reason,...considering the situation that the conquerers have placed the country in.

Currently,...America is a Yankee paradise,....and every day it becomes even more so.

Someone needs to smote them damn yankees.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe

mike r

Someone needs to smote them damn yankees.

mike r

The Houston Astros smote them damn Yankees just yesterday! As a long time BoSox fan, I'm usually glad to see the Yankees getting smote regardless who smites them.

JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Reloder28
They both wanted to be left alone.

Yes, that is exactly what they had in common. The South wanted to leave the Union in peace, and only fired upon Fort Sumner because the Yankees refused to vacate it. The Union army, led by Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan, burned the countryside down, killed civilians, raped women, and justified it all in the name of freeing the poor slaves and preserving the Union. When in fact, it had more to do with punishing the Confederate states for not letting the North and the Federal government tell them what to do, and when to do it.

On the other hand, the Federal government's treatment of the Native Americans ranks right up there with any atrocity committed anywhere, by any other world government......and that includes the Holocaust, Stalin's purges, Pol Pot's, the Armenian's, and others. To put it in simple terms, the Indians were killed in order to give their land to the White man, plain and simple. The same Yankee generals that had helped destroy the South were the main culprits in destroying the Indians. Our government tried justifying it as expanding civilization, but in most cases it was simply confiscation of Indian lands without any rhyme or reason. I don't see how anyone can blame the Indian for fighting the spread of the White man as he did, or for the methods he used. Whites have fought against Whites for centuries and used the same methods, yet the Indians were condemned for being "savages."

You can't change history, what happened is in the past, and the past is best left alone. But, we can learn from the past, and hopefully not repeat the same mistakes. Both the Confederacy and the Indian wars are history, and will always be the topic of discussion. I think they were the result of a Federal government who believed in keeping it's citizens in line.......and that has not changed an iota in all the years since. The target of the Feds was once the Confederates and the Indians, today it is the Conservative White person, and if those of us who identify that way are not careful, we will go the way of the Indian and the Confederate.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
H’ell, give it back to the Indians then. Just destroy and burn any improvements made over the years. No more checks and subsidies. I am sure they will make out just fine. Sarcasm😂

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Yankee war criminals burned out Mennonite farmers in the Shenandoah valley.
Who does that?
Sheridan, Sherman, Lincoln... all war criminals.

The winners of the conflict determine who is a war criminal.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
And winners write the books.

So if the south would have won, I wonder what would have happened to the north? Would the north have been burned and pillaged or would they have left alone.

JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
H’ell, give it back to the Indians then. Just destroy and burn any improvements made over the years. No more checks and subsidies. I am sure they will make out just fine. Sarcasm😂

The purpose of my post was not to say "give it back" or anything remote. We can't change history even if we could. I'm just bringing out the fact that our government, which we all hold in such high esteem, has had a past record of screwing and doing away with anyone who didn't agree with it.........case in point, the CSA and the Indians.

We need to keep that in mind, and remember that it could happen again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by stevelyn
What the US did to the Native tribes is reprehensible. What the CS did to try and retain human enslavement is reprehensible. Both populations still bear the scars and stigma of their past.

Just remember that the democraps were the enemy then and they are the enemy now.

The north didn't care if the south had slaves, they just wanted the south to keep funding the federal government. The south started dealing directly with England and France, thus cutting out the middle man, ie, the north. Thus the north started losing money. That was the cause of the Civil War.

Added: I'm not saying the slavery was right, it wasn't. But the north didn't care if the south had slaves. It was all about money and states rights.

Excellent post... As to the indians, consider this; Throughout most of the former Spanish Empire, compare those countries who assimilated the indians and those countries who eradicated them (or almost) when it comes to successful nation states....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mostly what happened to the Indians was they were inundated by a sea of Whites that no power on earth could contain, many treaties were made in good faith which thirty years later would become totally redundant due to a massive influx of settlers.

This redundancy time decreased as the decades went by because population increase is an exponential process, took two centuries for the Frontier to reach the Appalachians, fifty years after that to inundate to the Mississippi and beyond, just 20 after that to occupy the whole rest of the Continent.

Meanwhile Indian populations were melting like snow from epidemics. Didn’t help any that, up until the very end, indians eerebutchering each other. Also didn’t help that when the Indians hit back at the Whites, most of the victims were women and children.

An estimated 2,000 Whites murdered, often savagely tortured beforehand from the Pennsylvania Frontier during the French and Indian War. Twenty years later an estimated 7,000 Whites murdered, often grotesquely tortured, along the Ohio Frontier during our Rev War. In one of the greatest bloodlettings in North America as many as 800 settlers, mostly women and children, murdered over a three week period during the 1863 Santee Sioux uprising.

The War of Seccession? Two- thirds of the US population, including significant areas in the South, willing to fight and die to preserve the Union.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Governor Alonzo de Leon in his memoirs (1690’s) specified one of the main reasons the natives of Northern Mexico were so easily subdued and put under the control of the church (he needed “workers” not only for his ranchos, but all his running buddies silver mines) was their decimation by european disease.

As a point of fact, he stated it worked too well. They had to import additional "workers" from elsewhere.

Remember the peon system was alive and well in New Mexico up until the 1840’s!

The only difference is the Spanish used the locals on the mainland for their "workers”. The ones on the carribean islands succumbed pretty quickly to those afore mentioned maladies.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Some don't know enough history to make an educated comment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by stevelyn
What the US did to the Native tribes is reprehensible. What the CS did to try and retain human enslavement is reprehensible. Both populations still bear the scars and stigma of their past.

Just remember that the democraps were the enemy then and they are the enemy now.

The north didn't care if the south had slaves, they just wanted the south to keep funding the federal government. The south started dealing directly with England and France, thus cutting out the middle man, ie, the north. Thus the north started losing money. That was the cause of the Civil War.

Added: I'm not saying the slavery was right, it wasn't. But the north didn't care if the south had slaves. It was all about money and states rights.

I think that for the average Union soldier it was mostly about avenging the attack on Fort Sumter and preserving the Union.

If McClellan had been half the General that Grant was, he would have defeated the Army of Northern Virginia during the Peninsula Campaign and captured Richmond in 1962, thus shortening the War and saving tens of thousands of lives on both sides. Or so it seems to me. Nothing anyone who is alive today does or says will change the outcome of something that ended over 150 years ago. You can play "what if" all you want, but it doesn't change a single thing.

You are correct... nothing will change the outcome. North won and the South lost, simple as that. But, what most people, and that includes a lot here on the 'fire', dont know is what caused the Civil War. It wasn't slavery.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"Mostly what happened to the Indians was they were inundated by a sea of Whites that no power on earth could contain,"

Spot on Birdy!!! Everyone these days punks on Andrew Jackson as an indian hater. He wasn’t. ( He was a British hater! Killed lots more Brits than he did Indians). If anything he save the Five Civilized Tribes from almost certain annihilation by their removals. He told the chiefs " If I could build a wall 100 feet hight and a 1000 miles long the white man will find a way to go around, over, or under it!” Jackson knew there would have been a war of total destruction against them. Some of the natives were actually acceptable to the plan.
Pushmataha of the Five village s of the Choctaws in Mississippi ( commander of all Mississippi state troops at New Orleans) hunted bison in what is now Oklahoma as a young man, The Americans wanted to move them to SE Arkansas. He said no! That was the land of the Quapaws. But suggested his old hunting grounds in SE Oklahoma. At the time it wasn’t claimed by anyone. He loved that area and thats where they went. He knew it was better land than where they were!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

155 members (6mmbrfan, 257 mag, 280ACKIMP, 44mc, 35, 338rcm, 18 invisible), 1,308 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,517
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.