Print Thread
Hop To
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
A Loveless Drop Point Hunter in CPM M4 with ebony scales that very recently arrived.
Many of you no doubt have knives by Tim and are familiar. This is my first, and I hope not my last.

The knife arrived fiercely sharp. Felt good in hand and I was anxious to see how the edge might hold up in real use. This morning I used it to cape and quarter a small bull Roosevelt elk. It was an absolute pleasure, the knife moving almost effortlessly through hide and meat. When I got home I again used it to clean up all prior cuts on the quarters and the rest (backstraps, tenders, neck meat, etc).

Knife is still sharp! Not quite as eager as when it first arrived, but sharp enough I wouldn't hesitate to use it again right now on another critter. In fact, we're going out for deer this evening and I plan to bring it again without touching it up.

Thanks Tim!

BP-B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
As you so astutely acknowledged, my friend Tim makes an awesome knife! I too have one of these Loveless style drop point knives. Had him use the Black Buffalo horn for the scales....just a pleasure to use.....

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice got any action pics??

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Judman
Nice got any action pics??

Ditto

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Judman, Lightning

No, unfortunately, I didn't think to take any of the little bull, dang it

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that, I used to think all knives were created equal, boy what a dummy I was!! Haha

Something to be said for a properly heat treated, custom blade by some good ol gristle in the USA 🇺🇸... ie; Hammond, Olt, Howe, and Ingram...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Judman,

To be clear, the bull wasn't mine. I had previously encouraged a buddy to put in with me for a unit I am very familiar with. He did and drew the tag... But I wasn't so lucky. So the day before he and I hiked to all the places I have seen elk hide in this unit and finally found them in the last place we looked, about an hour and a half before dark. Sent him in solo the next morning to that spot, as I went for deer in another (and saw nothing).
This is his first elk. When he called to say he had one down I told him to gut it and I would come help with the rest. That's when I got to use the knife. His was trash, to be honest, and so I did all the cutting after he had gutted it.

I'm enjoying learning about nice knives. I have a few handfulls of them now from the makers we all know. Nothing like the extensive collections of GW, Stick, MCH, etc .. but I'm getting there.

One thing that is fascinating me is that I'm finding it's not always the ones you THOUGHT would perform best that actually do. 'Edge geometry', steel, weight/balance, etc make for some surprises, even within knives from the same maker.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy that, you in Oregon ain’tcha?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Yep

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have several knives I use for processing game, and my Tim Olt Semi-spear point is my favorite by far. Mine is in 154CM and it will definitely get the job done. Recommend them highly. I'd like one in M-4, maybe next time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last fall bow kill:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
bludog
I think that is the only one I have done in that pattern.
Probably should do more, but so many options...........

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by longarm
Judman,

To be clear, the bull wasn't mine. I had previously encouraged a buddy to put in with me for a unit I am very familiar with. He did and drew the tag... But I wasn't so lucky. So the day before he and I hiked to all the places I have seen elk hide in this unit and finally found them in the last place we looked, about an hour and a half before dark. Sent him in solo the next morning to that spot, as I went for deer in another (and saw nothing).
This is his first elk. When he called to say he had one down I told him to gut it and I would come help with the rest. That's when I got to use the knife. His was trash, to be honest, and so I did all the cutting after he had gutted it.

I'm enjoying learning about nice knives. I have a few handfulls of them now from the makers we all know. Nothing like the extensive collections of GW, Stick, MCH, etc .. but I'm getting there.

One thing that is fascinating me is that I'm finding it's not always the ones you THOUGHT would perform best that actually do. 'Edge geometry', steel, weight/balance, etc make for some surprises, even within knives from the same maker.

Geometry, Heat Treat, Edge Finish trumps all! Most of the popular makers on here don't grind enough! Their BTE is, we'll just say leaves a lot to be desired.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

---"Geometry, Heat Treat, Edge Finish trumps all!"

I think most of this crowd is getting to see that point, but still tooo many think the magic is all in the steel alone.

---"Most of the popular makers on here don't grind enough!"

The first custom I bought (40+ years ago) acquired a chip in the edge much to my surprise and dismay.
Probably as much my fault as blade failure, but.......
So, that probably played at least a partial role in my first blades.
I tended to leave the cutting edge toooo thick from the bevel grind.

A couple years back, I started going thinner with the material at the cutting edge and it sure helps with the
sharpness of the cutting edge -----and I have not heard of anyone having any chipping.
Of course they probably use the knife in a more proper manner than I did 40 years ago,

Should anyone have one of my knives that they would like the blade thinned down a bit, I would be happy to do
that if you ship it to me.
No charge for the work and I will pay for the return shipping.

Thanks
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill

---"Geometry, Heat Treat, Edge Finish trumps all!"

I think most of this crowd is getting to see that point, but still tooo many think the magic is all in the steel alone.

---"Most of the popular makers on here don't grind enough!"

The first custom I bought (40+ years ago) acquired a chip in the edge much to my surprise and dismay.
Probably as much my fault as blade failure, but.......
So, that probably played at least a partial role in my first blades.
I tended to leave the cutting edge toooo thick from the bevel grind.

A couple years back, I started going thinner with the material at the cutting edge and it sure helps with the
sharpness of the cutting edge -----and I have not heard of anyone having any chipping.
Of course they probably use the knife in a more proper manner than I did 40 years ago,

Should anyone have one of my knives that they would like the blade thinned down a bit, I would be happy to do
that if you ship it to me.
No charge for the work and I will pay for the return shipping.

Thanks
Tim

Tim I hope you did not think that my reply was aimed at you. I was responding to longarm and It was more a general statement and not aimed at you or anyone in particular.

I agree with your replied with. Going thin means needing to know how to use your knife. There are applications where a stout blade is desired. Knowing the limitations of a knife is required.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No offense taken. Just letting out some steam on my own learning curve.
I look at some of the knives I have kept and ask myself if I was trying to replace a crow bar or hatchet?????

I am serious about thinning some down if requested.

I have also dropped from usually sharpening at 24 degrees down to 21 degrees.

I do not do a lot of knives, but try to learn and get better as I go.

Cut on.

Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Tim, used one of your knives last week in the Wyoming field. It was the smaller of the set you made for me and does have a thicker grind but worked just fine. I love that knife and use it on most of my hunts. The edge on the S30V holds up great and the handle and edge geometry work for me.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I whittled one of similar shape out of M4 for myself. Planning on using carbon fiber for scales when the
heat treat batch gets back and I get caught up with the orders for 24hr guys.
I will be a little sister to a Gentlemans Hunter of same steel and handle scales.

Albert Einstein

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Tim, my friend, you are a class act! Can't wait for the Skinner to arrive to match my Loveless drop point!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Blades are out in a queue for heat treatment at Bos H.T.

When I get them back I will start first with finish grinding.
Then mounting and soldering a bunch of guards.

I probably will do assembly as small groups by model.

When 95% done, they will go out to Doug for leather sheaths.

When back with sheaths, I will do finish work and start notification of near ready to ship.
That is still a ways off, so hold tight.

Thanks
Tim

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 10/15/19.

Albert Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.