Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Hello I am looking to shorten a CZ527 rifle stock to fit my 9 year old son for proper length of pull for cold weather deer hunting. I have searched some youtube videos and everyone seems to have a different recipe to get to an optimum length. I have restocked a few CZ's over the years and I have a few spares lying around, available for a project like this. While I would prefer to nail this the first time if I don't i will not loose any sleep over a mistake. Hoping for a few pointers to insure success in both measuring my sons length of pull and doing a proper job of shortening the stock to achieve a near perfect fit for him. Look forward to seeing what else we can learn here.

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited by Hunterapp; 10/12/19.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
BP-B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
With the desired layers of clothing.

Measure from your son's index finger tip along the inside of the forearm to inside of the elbow w/ his arm bent in a 90 degree angle.

You now have his Length of Pull w/ the required layers of clothing in the equation.

If,you are indecisive,add 1 inch to the LOP measurement.

Measure from the trigger shoe face aft & stick a piece of painters tape for the LOP.

Wrap a piece of painters tape around the stock & cut the stock w/ a coping saw.

Sand the cut off stock on a flat surface to square up your cut.

If you forgot the include the butt plate thickness into the equation,you have another cut to make.

Measure twice.
Cut once

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Old school measuring of finger to elbow.With clothing he wears, mount the rifle as he would shooting his nose should just clear his thumb.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For rifles, aimed shots, length of pull isn't critical so long as the rifle can be mounted without hanging up. For a 9 year old I'd err on the long side else guaranteed it'll be too short next year. Scope eye and nose not clearing his thumb.

Save the pieces. My first gun was a Stevens .22/.410 and Dd saved the cut off piece. Eventually I replaced the cut off piece with a leather spacer (for looks) and it's in the shotgun cabinet. It ain't leaving except to get shot.

The old school method of fitting isn't perfect, for shotguns anyway, but gets you in the ball park for people of average proportions.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One theory that works for adults is consider the standard 13.5" LOP is for a 5'10" adult. Then for every inch more or less in height add or subtract 1/8" LOP. Not sure if it works for very short individuals. I don't like to go much less than 12-12.5" and keep in mind the overall legal length. Compare this to the crook of the elbow measurement and go with whichever is longer.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The old school forearm length is useless for stock fit. With gun mounted the eye needs to be in the right place.

There is plenty of latitude in the elbow and wrist to accommodate a bunch of variables. You also have some latitude in scope mounting. If the thumb just clears the nose it will not in recoil and there will be blood if there is significant recoil. Obviously the CZ527 is not exactly a heavy kicker.

With the scope all the way forward in the rings I like about 4.5 inches between eye and ocular ring/lens. It should then be mountable at about 4" which is standard long eye relief for a scope.Just measure the distance and calculate subtractions to bring the face into the 4" area.

Adjustments may need to be made for the changes in mounting when the gun is shortened. Usually the form is quite a bit more relaxed and the head/eye will move back a bit.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
"Obviously the CZ527 is not exactly a heavy kicker." Yea not a heavy kicker, yet you may be surprised at the recoil realized in the Grendel with 129 grain SP over a max charge Leverevolution loads. Know I was surprised after getting comfortable shooting the 17 HH free recoil:)

Recently realized we may have a very simple solution here with the Boyds adjustable At one stock. This stock goes down to 12". I am hopeful this will be short enough to get us where we we need to be.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 10/14/19.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fit a 1/2" pad to start. You can fit a 1" pad later as he grows.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
"Obviously the CZ527 is not exactly a heavy kicker." Yea not a heavy kicker, yet you may be surprised at the recoil realized in the Grendel with 129 grain SP over a max charge Leverevolution loads. Know I was surprised after getting comfortable shooting the 17 HH free recoil:)

Recently realized we may have a very simple solution here with the Boyds adjustable At one stock. This stock goes down to 12". I am hopeful this will be short enough to get us where we we need to be.

Sounds like a good practical solution.

As to recoil, too many kids are set up to fail with guns considered to be modest recoilers. They need very light guns and the addition of their often ill-fitting stocks and poor form can lead them to getting beat up. Lots of kids have sense enough to not come back for more...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A scope with a long eye relief helps quite a little. Allows them to use a LOP that's a little long and won't out grow it so fast.
Phil

IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
IMHO I would buy a youth stock. LOP is important but so is grip distance, the distance from the grip to the trigger. The key to "felt" recoil is proper form and fit. If the grip distance is too great the smaller hand has to roll over to get to the trigger, this prevent the shooter from gripping the rifle correctly and pulling it to their shoulder. Thus under recoil the rifle moves back into the shoulder and increases "felt" recoil.

Some youth stocks (NEF) are straight and like saddle stocks the grip is not set like a pistol grip.

Last edited by Freezer; 10/20/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the best answer if you can do it. You see it best in shotguns, shorter the stock and everything else becomes out of proportion.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Another consideration is stock drop, the distance from the bore line to the comb of the stock. A shorter person has a shorter neck than a tall person. A full size stock has much more drop than a shorter person needs thus their jaw is against the stock and not their cheek. Too much drop is not conducive to comfortable accurate shooting because your head isn't stable and you get slapped in the jaw when you pull the trigger. Stock drop also effects sight acquisition, with too much drop your head jiggles and you'll nod up and down.

Teach them right the first time with a gun that fits and they will enjoy shooting more, be more accurate, receive less recoil, will be less likely to develop a flinch (hard to correct later) and be more confident and successful.

If you can't get a youth stock to fit that rifle, get a rifle that fits the kid.

JMHO

Last edited by Freezer; 10/20/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I made a kid's stock for a .410 single shot loaned to 4-H trap out of aspen board from Menard's. Was a fun project with aspen though not so great for strength. Actually doesn't look bad stained up and with a Limbsaver pad. But what counts is all the dimensions are right for an average 8 year old. We start 'em early here. And no, the .410 is just for the rank beginners. We move them to a 20 ga. semiauto as soon as they can handle one.

Which explains a lot.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Freezer
IMHO I would buy a youth stock. LOP is important but so is grip distance, the distance from the grip to the trigger. The key to "felt" recoil is proper form and fit. If the grip distance is too great the smaller hand has to roll over to get to the trigger, this prevent the shooter from gripping the rifle correctly and pulling it to their shoulder. Thus under recoil the rifle moves back into the shoulder and increases "felt" recoil.

Some youth stocks (NEF) are straight and like saddle stocks the grip is not set like a pistol grip.

Experience is telling me that I agree. We went out last weekend with a CZ 527 in a Boyds at One adjustable stock and a H&R Handi youth model, both in 300 blk. Guess which one he favored.

Last edited by Hunterapp; 10/22/19.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Ok, I had a horrible experience with this H&R and while selecting a rifle is the least of my concerns at present It is fair to say that I have no time for The H&R going forward. Despite the fact that the root cause of the root cause having little if anything to do with the issue I experienced. Cant help but be confident the CZ or another bolt action would have had less disastrous results. The results I am waiting on till the swelling goes down in my eye enough to see if I still have sight or not in my right eye.

Be fore warned stick to published reduced loads.

I have seen to many reports for my liking of the H&R breach opening at the shot along with my experience will cause me to stray away from this design for the rest of my days.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Sorry to hear abut your problem, I hope you heal well and soon.

My sons and I have owned at least 6 of the NEFs and I still own one, a Handi Rifle with several barrels. I modified the youth stocks for them. It sounds like you hand load, a 94 Win with 135 gr bullets a shortened stock and recoil pad might not be a bad idea if you can't find a youth stock for the CZ. There are also reduced recoil loads in the manuals and available commercially. The Browning Lever Rifle with a saddle stock is another option. Chambered in 243 Win or 260 Remington would be a great rifle. Simply replace the butt stock after he gets too big to extend it as he grows. The only problem I have with a straight stock (saddle stock) is the recoil comes straight back and is not deflected by the drop of the pistol grip. More felt recoil.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Savage makes a compact youth rifle and Remington has a model Seven youth. A short action rifle with a synthetic stock will weigh less.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.