Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Just about any rifle in the '06 recoil range will begin to shake things loose. You "have" to use Lock Tite! I'm glad you found the problem w/o having to spend a wad of money. Even the sorriest/ugliest Savage ever made will usually shoot very well. smile

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sixkiller
Ok folks got one stumping me today. Savage 110 30-06 does not like 150gr bullets 3-4 inch group at 100 yards, 165 grain bullets shoot and inch group so I’m loading Nosler partitions 165 grains over 47.5 grains of H4895 CCI 250 large rifle Magnum primer give Constant groups under 1 inch at 100 yards but move it out to 175 yards and it then shoots a 3-4 inch group 8 inches low and 6 inches right. Does the rifle just not like the bullet or do I need to play with seating depth I don’t understand I was guessing it would shoot around an inch low not 8.

Show a pic of the rifle. What kind of scope mounts and scope are you using? Is everything loctited down and torqued properly? Is the barrel nut tight? I've never had an ill shooting 30-06... Also, go back to the basics and use one of the 4350's. I don't care which, just use/try one...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sixkiller
Thank you everyone for the response and great ideas. I went to pull the scope off tonight to try a different one and ship that one back and discovered that the from base was lose not crazy lose could not tell with the scope on but as soon as the scope came off it was very noticeable so i put more lock tight on it and got them thighed back up now to figure out why they came lose in the first place or if it’s just one of them crazy things

If it was a package rifle, that explains a lot. They don't use loc tite. I've seen them loose, even right out of the box. So many guys trust that someone else is going to do things right and this is one of those deals, where I NEVER trust that they did it right. ALWAYS pull those bases and apply the appropriate loc tite, that way you know its good. Its not going to rattle loose, if you do your part...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dinny
I suggest trying all those things listed above + 52gr of IMR 4064 and any 150gr bullet. I have never seen a rifle shoot it worse than 1.5 MOA.

Thanks, Dinny

I've had good success with 4064 and 150s in '06 also.

Be Safe

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on IMR 4064, I have had good success with this powder also IMR 4350.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's issues like this one, plus my own experiences, that make me want to drop the cash to get a certified, verfied, target proven, load already developed by somebody else rifle that'll just print clover leafs at 300 yards. Just spend the money up front and enjoy life.

But I'm too cheap to do it, so I just keep piddling arouind with my fixer upper, spending the same money for different bulltets, powders, primers, put on a new stock, etc. and working up every possible combination.

Good luck.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As long as you are starting over anyway, make sure that the barrel is free-floated. My Savage -06 is a hammer with 150 Interlocks.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

You may want to swap the scope on that rifle, and check the mount screw torque too..

This is assuming you are using a good rest / bags that a rifle sling swivel stud didn’t catch on when firing the rifle.

Good advice. I have an old 12x leupold that I mount on " problem " rifles. That has saved a few friends from pulling their hair out when they can't get their rifle to shoot. Often it's the scope or mounting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by saskfox
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

You may want to swap the scope on that rifle, and check the mount screw torque too..

This is assuming you are using a good rest / bags that a rifle sling swivel stud didn’t catch on when firing the rifle.

Good advice. I have an old 12x leupold that I mount on " problem " rifles. That has saved a few friends from pulling their hair out when they can't get their rifle to shoot. Often it's the scope or mounting.

Been there, done that, with the bad scopes. Costs a lot of ammo to figure it out.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by claybreaker
Originally Posted by Dinny
I suggest trying all those things listed above + 52gr of IMR 4064 and any 150gr bullet. I have never seen a rifle shoot it worse than 1.5 MOA.

Thanks, Dinny

I've had good success with 4064 and 150s in '06 also.

Be Safe

52gr of 4064 w/ 150's is Magic in my '06. I like the Hornady 150gr Interlocks.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,686
Posts18,456,386
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.