Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Rifle sling ideas for new rifle owner ? Please post picture. Thanks.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Nice slings, thanks

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Give me a synthetic sling over leather any day on a hunting rifle. I like the "Mountain Sling" which is now made by Blackhawk, which in the past has been Uncle Mike's and a Butler Creek Product.

These Synthetic sling are cheap (less than $20.00 including swivels), strong, lightweight, and will not rot/mildew/mold. Save the expensive leather slings for the safe queens.

Last edited by VaHunter; 10/15/19.
T
T
I use slings as a shooting aid. I really like the Brownells Quick Set Latigo slings and the rifle-craft rs-2 for that purpose.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...ngs/quick-set-latigo-sling-prod1180.aspx

https://www.rifle-craft.com/product/rs2-riflemans-essential-sling/

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ya, those Montana slings work great!

Guy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Trigger06
I use slings as a shooting aid. I really like the Brownells Quick Set Latigo slings and the rifle-craft rs-2 for that purpose.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...ngs/quick-set-latigo-sling-prod1180.aspx

https://www.rifle-craft.com/product/rs2-riflemans-essential-sling/

I too like the Brownells and was looking for a light weight equivalent the Rifle-Craft might fit the bill. Thanks.

For just a carry strap I like the Vero Vellini ones. The leather model for heavier rifles as it is less bouncy than the Neoprene only ones. Their Binocular strap really does reduce the perceived weight of the Binos.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Damn, good comment. Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Function over good looks.... https://www.ultimategunsling.com It stays put.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Levy's makes some superb slings. They are made in Canada. Finest I have found for staying on your shoulder.
Vero Vellini makes some nice slings, but show a lot of wear after a few seasons.
For leather, the old Bianchi Cobras and the sling provided by Remington with their 700's work well and last forever.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

I’ve got at least a few dozen of these and have never had any issues with them... I’ll send you one to try out and see if you like it before you buy one of you want...

Public landowner...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

This

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28

This

X2. I've never liked leather slings before I tried this one.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Kifaru Gun Bearer on my pack. Pat's slings the for everything else. All my belts are from Montana Sling Co. also, I am wearing one now w/ my G19 in a Kydex Tech holster and a mag in a Safariland single.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Hell yes, hang your Montana on a Sling Thing from Ted and you will find and kill the good stuff. We have some truly talented people on here and they deserve our support. Subscibe to Large James' You Tube Channel for a look into a different world.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scotts94_z28

This

Montana Sling.. you won’t be sorry.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cas6969
Function over good looks.... https://www.ultimategunsling.com It stays put.

Most practical sling I've used. I've put them on all my hunting rifles.

B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Another Montana Sling user here. Have three, will be buying more.

Haven't been around that long, is Pat a member? Scenar Shooter maybe?

Edit: Nevermind, just looked. Had no idea, but very cool!

Last edited by Bry; 10/15/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I like that one

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Butler Creek (formerly Uncle Mikes) Mountain Sling for me... been using them since the early 90’s, nothing I’ve ever used works as well.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Montana or Murray for me

Have used both...they are both top notch and will last a lifetime of hard use

Last edited by Quak; 10/15/19.

GOD Bless America
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It depends on what you want the sling to do. If you just want something on a hunting rifle, for the odd occasion when you need both hands free, then a simple carry strap will do. A narrow one will save some weight too. For this sort of purpose I just use a plain leather strap, and there are any number of makers. Fabric will do too. One which can be extended long enough to carry the rifle across your back is handy too.

If you are one of those people who wants to be able to walk around with your rifle on a sling as a general sort of thing, rather than usually having it in your hands and only using the sling occasionally, then I guess that things like padding and neoprene and cobra-shaped sections and so on might have their attraction. These generally add to the weight swinging around under your rifle when you want to take a shot though. There are more complicated ones too, about which I have little to say other than in relation to one a mate of mine had, a Kifaru IIRC, which seemed to always end up pointing the rifle at everything he faced, including me, which I definitely did not like. On the whole I have no use for any of these though.

If you want to use your sling as an aid to accurate shooting, then you really need something a bit different. The US Pattern 1907 type does a very good job, if you know how to use it, and I have one of these in leather for service rifle competition. I also have a webbing sling which can be made to function as a single point loop for shooting by detaching it from the rear swivel and making a loop, for use where the competition rules don't permit the Patt 07. The Patt 07 tends to be a bit weighty though, and the other one not ideal for quickly setting up for a shot in the field. The other type worth looking for though, which does much of what a Patt 07 sling can do, and is better adapted for hunting, is a Whelen-type sling. This has the ability to form a loop for your arm, like a Patt 07, to steady your shooting, but uses rather less leather to do it so is lighter. I have a couple of these and they work well. I believe Hunter Leather makes them, and there are probably others. I don't remember who made mine.

Two final points: first, if you do intend to use your sling for shooting, is that it can affect POI, especially if your rifle's light and has a flexible forend. Second, if you are going to go hunting, put your sling on and have a good hard look at it, and then give the rifle a vigorous shaking. Anything that glints or rattles should be taped - a bit of tape around the forward swivel will also protect the web of your thumb.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by dan_oz
It depends on what you want the sling to do. If you just want something on a hunting rifle, for the odd occasion when you need both hands free, then a simple carry strap will do.

Just a good sling to carry the rifle that won't get mold, something light yet durable. Thanks

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Years ago I made a Tactical style sling for my deer rifle. My rifle is carried mostly on my side or in front of me with barrel pointing down . I've since bought and use this type of sling. Frees up both arms while walking with a very easy way to just lift rifle up when needed. -- Some old time hunters would not use slings because it took their hands off the rifle. ( Northeastern woods - quick 50 yard shots ). Quickest hands free to ready to fire sling.--- Make one and try it. You will end up buying one. --Web

Last edited by wldthg; 10/16/19.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Montana Sling for me.

I do remember thinking "Do I want a leather sling? It may get wet?" Then I learned, what Pat does for a living (government trapper and hunting guide) and suddenly I was not worried anymore.
The Montana Sling is year in, year out unquestioned the sling I use, since. The only regret I have, is not having brought two more. That, I intend to fix.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Hell yes, hang your Montana on a Sling Thing from Ted and you will find and kill the good stuff.

I like Ted's Frakenstud as well, but I paired with an Uncle Mike's/Blackhawk mountain sling.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slings lighten your load... of game meat. That might not be the case for guys who hunt different, more open areas than I do here in the Midwest. A mega buck taught me a valuable lesson years ago when I rounded some brush with my rifle over my shoulder instead of in my hands where it belonged and there he was...gone. That day I decided that if I was too tired to carry my rifle, I belonged back in camp. The only time I sling a rifle is when I am climbing a tree, done hunting for the day or pulling out a deer. What has worked the best for me is a camo colored nylon sling made wide enough to go over my shoulder and head for a cross chest carry. Nylon because it is light weight, impervious to moisture and doesn't have or hold scent like leather. I got rid of the quick detachable sling swivels because they rattled. Nylon sling swivels replaced them and the sling was sewn in place at a local canvas shop to get rid of the buckles and another potential rattle. A little extreme, maybe but it works for me.

My favorite what not to do with a sling story was my buddy with one of those military claw type adjustable slings on his rifle. He had just climbed up into his tree stand with the rifle slung when one of the buckles let go on strap and his 6.5 was headed back down the tree barrel first. I met him on the way back to camp going back for a spare rifle.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Brad
Butler Creek (formerly Uncle Mikes) Mountain Sling for me... been using them since the early 90’s, nothing I’ve ever used works as well.

Yep.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My boy and I both like them out of all we've tried. I have a few Montana Slings as well. Very nice, very durable.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

On my hunting rigs I only use the sling when entering for the hunt and exiting the hunt, dark both ways so no chance at missing a shot opportunity. Otherwise, rifle in hand and ready to go.

I prefer a synthetic sling on my stainless or foul weather rifles and a leather sling on my wood/blued classics. Montana or mountain sling, both good!

SD

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Windfall
Slings lighten your load... of game meat. A mega buck taught me a valuable lesson years ago when I rounded some brush with my rifle over my shoulder instead of in my hands where it belonged and there he was...gone. That day I decided that if I was too tired to carry my rifle, I belonged back in camp.

I hunt with my binoculars more than with a rifle, so I want my hands free to glass. Like you said different territory where I hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Montana sling or Boonie Packer Strap.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
My Butler Creek Mountain sling weighs 3 oz. The 1" Montana sling is 5 1/2 oz. I guess it depends on how you look at it. On one hand it is almost twice as heavy, and on the other hand 2 1/2 oz isn't a deal killer. I have both and used to always reach for the Mountain sling. But lately the Montana sling gets used more. Being able to use it as a more effective shooting sling is worth 2 1/2 oz to me.

I don't like overly heavy wide padded slings made of either synthetic or leather.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Yes Sir! Love them!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JMR40
My Butler Creek Mountain sling weighs 3 oz. The 1" Montana sling is 5 1/2 oz. I guess it depends on how you look at it. On one hand it is almost twice as heavy, and on the other hand 2 1/2 oz isn't a deal killer. I have both and used to always reach for the Mountain sling. But lately the Montana sling gets used more. Being able to use it as a more effective shooting sling is worth 2 1/2 oz to me.

I don't like overly heavy wide padded slings made of either synthetic or leather.

Shooting seated w/ a sling, for me, is the quickest way to get steady for a shot beyond 100 yards. The Montana Sling assists this better than other I have tried. I also figure that it will help me find critters and shoot like Pat.grin

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Elliot
Originally Posted by dan_oz
It depends on what you want the sling to do. If you just want something on a hunting rifle, for the odd occasion when you need both hands free, then a simple carry strap will do.

Just a good sling to carry the rifle that won't get mold, something light yet durable. Thanks

If your sling gets mouldy that is a problem with your storage conditions. If you've been out in the rain let your sling dry before you put it away. If it is leather the odd bit of dressing helps maintain it. Keep it in dry conditions.

Same goes for your rifle. In fact if your sling's mouldy it will be time to tear down your rifle and check for rust.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dick Murray makes all of my slings

[Linked Image from i165.photobucket.com]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Windfall
Slings lighten your load... of game meat. That might not be the case for guys who hunt different, more open areas than I do here in the Midwest. A mega buck taught me a valuable lesson years ago when I rounded some brush with my rifle over my shoulder instead of in my hands where it belonged and there he was...gone. That day I decided that if I was too tired to carry my rifle, I belonged back in camp. The only time I sling a rifle is when I am climbing a tree, done hunting for the day or pulling out a deer. What has worked the best for me is a camo colored nylon sling made wide enough to go over my shoulder and head for a cross chest carry. Nylon because it is light weight, impervious to moisture and doesn't have or hold scent like leather.

Safari Sling will solve that.
Been using one exclusively since 1990. It's unconventional and folks don't know what to think at first. Almost to a person everyone who has followed me decides they want one too.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thank you guys, lot of excellent choices, can't go wrong with either ones

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
An awesome Fire member sent me one of these, Vero Vellini Slings, and I love it. It's light weight, makes the rifle weight seem like it is not even there and doesn't slip off your shoulder, perfect when you need both hands while climbing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K22
An awesome Fire member sent me one of these, Vero Vellini Slings, and I love it. It's light weight, makes the rifle weight seem like it is not even there and doesn't slip off your shoulder, perfect when you need both hands while climbing.

My experience with VV as well! +1

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hate stretchy slings, padded slings, and leather slings which slide on the shoulder.

The reason I like the Mountain Sling is it's simple, small (1.25"), light(3.5 oz), stiff, and has a grippy patch sewn on so it doesn't slide on the shoulder, but is still usable for a "tight sling" while shooting.

But everyone sees this subject differently... obviously.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll have to look into that sling Brad

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by K22

these are the best for transporting heavier rifles. i like the montana slings and BC mountain slings for my light rifles

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate stretchy slings, padded slings, and leather slings which slide on the shoulder.

The reason I like the Mountain Sling is it's simple, small (1.25"), light(3.5 oz), stiff, and has a grippy patch sewn on so it doesn't slide on the shoulder, but is still usable for a "tight sling" while shooting.

But everyone sees this subject differently... obviously.

+1

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
How do you attach pictures here ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Turner's Biothane shooting sling 'cause a sling should do more than just help you carry the rifle.
https://turnersling.com/national-match-service-rifle-all-weather-sling-aws/

Politics is War by Other Means
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Hey guys, any of this slings any good ? Which one would you recommend ?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by Elliot; 10/17/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
None.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
None.

Ok, thanks. I thought that maybe.... I appreciate your answer brad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Slogan Outdoors sling. The one you see on TV. Lifetime warranty.
I use them and absolutely love them.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

Sorry, but I wouldn't pay a nickel for anything marketed by "Allen". Some of the cheesiest Chi-com made junk ever.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

None of those will garner any of my hard earned money.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

It begins and ends here. Nothing better.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thank you for your opinion, I guess I wont be buying that trash.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thanks, I guess they won't be taking my cash neither.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thanks. I seen lots of people telling me the same thing as you are. I will order today. Hope they have something other than leather?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

May not be of interest to you but I have been using the Chinese made "tourbon" slings, they appear to be a knock-off of the Westerly Richards cotton canvas sling and are very comfortable to use. Two inch wide, light, easy to handle, and are terrific in the heat.

I have stopped using leather slings and have gone to these.

Also helps that they are cheap to purchase.

Ebay listing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Of course if you would prefer to pay Westerly Richards then here is their version.

Westerly Richards sling.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wldthg
Years ago I made a Tactical style sling for my deer rifle. My rifle is carried mostly on my side or in front of me with barrel pointing down . I've since bought and use this type of sling. Frees up both arms while walking with a very easy way to just lift rifle up when needed. -- Some old time hunters would not use slings because it took their hands off the rifle. ( Northeastern woods - quick 50 yard shots ). Quickest hands free to ready to fire sling.--- Make one and try it. You will end up buying one. --Web

I used to think that was a good idea as well, right up 'til I stepped in a rabbit hole down to my knee, I adjusted my approach on the way home to clean the rifle after dropping a projectile and half of the powder out of a case and using the remainder to get the six inches of dirt out of the barrel.

Now if I carry over the shoulder I point that muzzle up.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
For just a carry sling I use the Boonie Packer. It’s a basic carry sling that just works. What I like is it sticks to the shoulder well in the field, is lightweight, inexpensive, and made in the USA. One great feature is it’s simple to adjust and be tight to the rifle for in the safe storage. The do make a Safari sling but I have yet to actually try one out

www.booniepacker.com

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I make my own nylon strap slings for my modern synthetic stock rifles , even install qd button bases in the stock. For wood and blue rifles I must have leather sling and like the Montana sling that Scenar shooter (Pat) sells. I have a Detroit Leather shop sling on order to give it a try.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thank you, those slings from eBay look very comfortable I appreciate you taking the time of posting your pictures. nice rifles by the way.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You’ll possibly regret having a slippery leather sling...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RMerta
Slogan Outdoors sling. The one you see on TV. Lifetime warranty.
I use them and absolutely love them.

Made in USA

+1

Get the magnum if you are a bigger boy. It’s longer.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Well I'm trying not to get leather

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use mostly mountain slings because I remove them and put them in the side pocket of my pants while hunting. For my Mannlicher carbine I use a Montana sling since I'm not going to remove it while hunting.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My Sendero with its big azz scope carries like nothing with my magnum Slogan Outdoors sling. The sling does not slip and makes a heavy rifle light when you sling it up.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Glad I happened upon this topic. Never heard of the "Ultimate Sling", but I'm going to give one a try.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Disregard my above post. Went with another Montana sling for my McMillan-stocked Ruger, black 1" model this time. Bought a brown one for my 1895GS last year and was very much impressed with the quality.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You’ll possibly regret having a slippery leather sling...

Most of mine are rough enough not to be a problem. I had one latigo leather sling that was slippery, I put rubber gasket compound on the shoulder portion and problem gone. Contact cement will work too but you will have re-apply every couple of years depending the amount of use.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old skool Butler Creek comfortech slings are the shizza. You gotta dig through the “dump boxes” at gun shows and old gun shops to find them.

Last one I think I paid $5 for. They’ll make an 8 pounder feel like a 6.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Has anyone hiked long miles with a Montana sling? Do they slip off easily?

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Ive used one for years and like them a lot. My favorite on the market. I broke mine this year (swivel broke) and the repaired it quickly and at no charge

GOD Bless America
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

679 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,871 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,010
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.