Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My second year hunting mule deer in the mountains. What do they like for cover/food ect. Best time to hunt them? Ive seen does and fawns but never bucks with them. Do they have a home range like whitetails? Ive seen them mostly in sage or pine trees on edges. Any good books for mountain hunting them? Thanks

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
They hop.

Very bouncy.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t know where you’re hunting them, but where I do in the mountains of CO, they migrate. Depending on the weather and your elevation, you may have a handful of resident deer or you may have hundreds or thousands moving through the area on the way to their winter range. The area I hunt is scattered sage, pinion pines, oak brush, and big bull pines.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get a copy of Robby Denning book. Lots of good info.
https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Big-Mule-Deer-Take/dp/069245795X

Also what state/area are you hunting?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Often the bucks won't live with the does until the rut approaches. You may see a few young bucks still hanging around "mom and the girls" before then, but the mature bucks tend to live away from the gals until the rut approaches. That often happens late October - mid November.

Glass, glass, glass.... smile

If there's a typical routine I've seen with mule deer bucks it's something like this:

Travel back up into the hills in the morning, after feeding much of the night.

Lay up all day, occasionally moving around a little.

Travel back down to feed in late afternoon.

So... I usually try to set up some sort of ambush for the early morning or late afternoon hours. Often they feed on bitterbrush, though if there's an alfalfa field anywhere nearby, they usually gravitate towards that.

Best of luck, Guy

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
David Long has written good articles and books about mule deer hunting. I think he's also made a few videos.

Glass, Glass, Glass - then set up to get a shot.

Last year's buck:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sometimes I hunt them in the mountains too. Either way works.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The bigger bucks hang higher and sometimes get caught up high when big snows trap them up there. I've found most of the bigger bucks like to be on a high steep ridge, just below the lip at the bottom edge of good cover, like mahogany or spruce. Mahogany provides them good browse, and they can stay put for quite a while if water's nearby.

Get on a center ridge where you can glass several other nearby ridges, preferably within range of them. Glass, glass, glass...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Practice your shots, get good gear (ggg), try to have fun.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

forkies can get purty big

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

where I live.........

they all live in town.........born/raised & die......

sumbitchin bucks

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe that mule deer are much more adaptable than a lot of folks give them credit for. They'll often be everywhere in a block of suitable habitat, unlike elk.

They're individuals, like people and have individual preferences, but they'll also be patternable and somewhat predictable. If they've been hunted hard, don't bother looking for them in easy areas, even if food, water and cover are there.

The most predictable places I have found public land mule deer bucks to be is in 1-8 year old burns. Find secluded spots in burns and you'll find bucks. They're not quite as predictable as elk are though, as far as bedding and coming out to feed in the first and last hour or so of light. They seem to be more reliably out feeding in the middle of the day, IME. As far as a home range, I am sure some do and others will be found in the same drainage all summer and even subsequent years, if that area was what they need. Not sure if that is a "home range" or not.

If the rut is on, then just like whitetails, find the does.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd recommend reading Mule Deer Strategies by Walt Prothero. Has some good info on techniques to hunt mulies.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/mule-deer-hunting-strategies_walt-prothero/717005/#isbn=1585740985

As mentioned, lots of glassing and mulies go together. Also, they like "the edge", as you've noticed.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No where near the restrictive home range of white tails. If in big sky country then glass and glass some more. I do best in terrain that others don't tend to frequent. Places like Hells Canyon.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Then again, out by Cookie's bird feeder in the back yard is not a bad spot either.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/15/19.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They tend to be where you find them. Sometimes in town. Have a friend who lives in Bend,OR who has them in his backyard. They tear up his sprinklers. Here they cruise through our yard regularly. There was a forky in our driveway this morning.
This is from my buddy's backyard in Bend. This deer was killed a year or so after this pic was taken by a truck on the highway.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
No where near the restrictive home range of white tails. If in big sky country then glass and glass some more. I do best in terrain that others don't tend to frequent. Places like Hells Canyon.

Then again, out by Cookie's bird feeder in the back yard is not a bad spot either.

Yep. Put in a bird feeder. Wanted to feed the quail but instead got 300 dove and 7 bucks.
Last years pic but these two azzholes visit daily.

[Linked Image from i723.photobucket.com][/URL][/img]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
They tend to be where you find them. Sometimes in town. Have a friend who lives in Bend,OR who has them in his backyard. They tear up his sprinklers. Here they cruise through our yard regularly. There was a forky in our driveway this morning.
This is from my buddy's backyard in Bend. This deer was killed a year or so after this pic was taken by a truck on the highway.

Wow!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by tikkanut

forkies can get purty big

This looks like my first Muley I killed when I was 15. 27” 3x2 old old buck with a huge body

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

576 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,823
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.