Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Seems to me where the impact occurs will make a big difference in the potential effect of a drop. If it's on either end of the scope instead of one of the turrets or the tube close to the rings, the effect would be more severe, I think, even with a robust tube and mount. Dropped stuff rarely lands how you want.

Had a Sako .223 slide off the fender of my SS 396 Rally Sport Camaro, causing me to miss an easy shot at a big fat crow a few minutes later. It landed on the objective end of the Lyman 8x. POI shift was about a foot at 100. Don't think the tube was bent, as none was apparent, and it soldiered on for some years afterward.

What year and where is the Camaro now?

1972. Bought new for about $3500. Had a toad of a 2-bolt cast-iron crank station wagon motor, but the RSs were very pretty cars. Royal blue. When I bought it, there was a '71 396 with solid lifters on the showroom floor, but alas it was already sold. Probably would've killed myself in that one.

Gone the way of all cars; probably became a stove or refrigerator.

BTW, that Sako cost $257 at Best, a membership store of the era. Gone too, dammit.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by screaminweasil

Speaking of Leupy, sent an old VarixII 3-9 with M1 turret back to beaverton this morning. 11 MOA of elevation moves it 14.5" at 100 yds. I bought that scope from somebody here, don't remember who for $75. So, no loss for me. I knew it wasn't tracking correctly when my dope on a Ruger 10/22 target was causing sever high points of impact a few months ago. I put it on the Ruger Ranch in question yesterday to confirm on paper that it "tracks as shi*tty as the rest of the "gold rings".

Did it do that reliably? If so, then there was a workaround.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
On the 10/22 target it seemed to come back to zero, the clicks were just off on anything past 100 yards........hitting high every time, worse the farther out I went, out to 200 yds if I remember correctly. I haven't messed with the scope for several months now, only rifle it was was the 10/22 target. When i mounted it yesterday on the Ruger Ranch 7.62x39 the groups at 100 yds were twice as large as with the SWFA 6x that is normally on it. Shot both scopes side by side yesterday. SWFA tracked as perfectly as I could have measured. Leupold did not come back to zero every time, taking a "shot" and then coming back to zero. Not to mention the 3 MOA Error at a paltry 11 MOA come up.............I wasn't going to "work around" this POS

Last edited by screaminweasil; 10/16/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Then there were other problems, so the work around wouldn't work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the write up............really big scope at 14.6" & 30 oz.

I go to the Czech Republic frequently as we own a plant there, & would like to go to Mepota for a tour on one of my trips.

MM

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's a great place to go if you like high quality beer. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, I get to Pilzen frequently........................our plant is between Prague & Pilzen.

Hard to get much better than that for beer.

MM

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm jealous!

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
screaminweasil,

A 3.5 foot drop shouldn’t have moved the scope .5 mil. Not that it can’t happen, however more likely something in the mounting system, or action moved in the stock. From what I’ve seen sporter weight rifles need more than that to shift that much at that hight with a FF.

Action/bases/rings moving when impacted are the reason that rifles with bonded actions to chassis, and permanently mounted bases are used for the drop “tests” now.

I don't doubt that. Rifle is bone stock. It's got only around 800 rounds through it so far with that same SWFA 6x with never a bobble. I used blue loctite on the factory rail torqued to 25 inch/lbs. Action screws torqued in the stock at 65 inch lbs. It's mounted in the SWFA rings that came in blackfriday special as well. In any event, a Leupy would have been off 1.5 feet after a fall like that.....bugger hit hard.

Speaking of Leupy, sent an old VarixII 3-9 with M1 turret back to beaverton this morning. 11 MOA of elevation moves it 14.5" at 100 yds. I bought that scope from somebody here, don't remember who for $75. So, no loss for me. I knew it wasn't tracking correctly when my dope on a Ruger 10/22 target was causing sever high points of impact a few months ago. I put it on the Ruger Ranch in question yesterday to confirm on paper that it "tracks as shi*tty as the rest of the "gold rings".

It sure is nice to have equipment that works.
Also nice to have somebody with your trigger time and rough testing to show what puts up and what shuts up.

Thanks for the report. I hope Meopta Optika6 makes out in the long run. Sure will blow away the used scope market if they are reliable.

If it’s in the mounting system or action then a Leupold would have made a difference in POI. Yeah sure

I really hope the Optika6 scopes prove to be solid performers. After looking at Doug’s site, it appears a 2.5-15x44mm is coming late 2019.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My favorite Czech product:

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Waiting on my 4.5-27X50 SFP, Dichrotech 4-D, ret. should be here soon (November). Its going on a custom Volquartsen Deluxe .22lr for long range rimfire matches.

I'll post info when I have it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Thanks for the write up............really big scope at 14.6" & 30 oz.

I go to the Czech Republic frequently as we own a plant there, & would like to go to Mepota for a tour on one of my trips.

MM

its said USA on the box the formadillo posted. I assume these are built in the US facility, new jersey? same place they assembled the ziess conquests for years.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
After the reticle, it’s features.

Turrets: This model has a 10 mil per revolution, pop up, locking elevation turret with zero stop, and a capped windage turret.

Elevation locked (down)-
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Elevation unlocked (up)-

Cap unscrews without tools to remove elevationt turret (the cap vibrated loose while driving and fell off) -

Pull the turret off and you have the zero stop with mechanical limiter-

Windage-

Parallax and illumination knob-

Power ring with small built in rubber cat tail-

On the turrets, not that it really matters but they feel good. It needs a revolution indicator on the elevation, but being that when adjusting the turret doesn’t move up or down....? I do not set zero stops to stop dead nuts on zero. But instead 2.9 mils lower, in any case, without a rev indicator multiple times a day I popped the ele turret up, spun down to bottom, and back up to be positive that it was not a rev off. The windage needs a half rev limiter as well, as there also is no rev indicator either. They also need to mark the windage knob starting at “0” 5 mils each direction. Instead it is marked in a continuous fashion from “0” to “9”.

Setting the zero stop is not really intuitive, and Meopta does not include very good instructions.

One can say that they’ll never touch the windage dial after zeroing as it’s capped, or that the elevation has a zero stop so there’s no need there.... both of those are good ways to end up a full rev off of where you thought you were. Checking elevation and windage zero and revolution is a part of picking the rifle up first thing in the morning, periodically throughout the day, and anytime it has been out of your immediate control. Checking elevation is simple enough, if not as easy as it could be, but windage is a no go unless you dial all the way one direction and count back.

The power ring is good. Has a built in small cat tail, and multiple slots for an extended one if desired.

Parallax: Knob is easy and smooth, and the numbers are decently close with where the diopter is currently set. Not super finicky on parallax.

TBC....

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Illumination: It’s designed to only illuminate the center dot and cross. It does that, however there is quite a bit of bleed and the illumination is not even. I don’t care, as the illumination does what it is supposed to -make you be able to see the reticle in low light, and I’m glad they didn’t spend more money or effort on this, rather than function. The knob is adjacent to the parallax knob. Between every setting there is on off click.

3x

18x

TBC....

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

its said USA on the box the formadillo posted. I assume these are built in the US facility, new jersey? same place they assembled the ziess conquests for years.

That is just the UPC code. They are made in the Czech Republic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To digress a bit, I looked at the 1-6x24 on the website. Comes in FFP and SFP, with multiple reticle choices. The SFP has capped turrets.

IF the adjustments turn out to be solid, I can see one of those for this area, probably a duplex. Not light, but sturdy usually isn't, it seems.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

That is just the UPC code. They are made in the Czech Republic.

formadillo! Phucqk!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Form, nice write up. I don't want to hijack the thread, but was wondering if the large quantities of ammunition that you shoot are factory or handloads. Your high volume would take some serious reloading . Thanks.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by atse
Form, nice write up. I don't want to hijack the thread, but was wondering if the large quantities of ammunition that you shoot are factory or handloads. Your high volume would take some serious reloading . Thanks.

Haha. No.

I prefer my ammo to come 20 to a box, 460 to a can, and 920 to a case.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
those look like factory barrels he gets more life out of them than I do. grin

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.