Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Good gawd man could you kiss his ass any sweeter? laugh

Probably...But, I won’t 😂

😎

grin

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To get back on topic although the Tropic Thunder video had me spitting my coffee. What is the expected time frame for new arrivals and orders? The model I picked out wasn't in stock and was told that it could be as early as end of month or 2nd week of November from place here in Louisiana. I was just curious what others are hearing around the other states.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I will just be damned. I am awed by the education this place delivers.

Great, now the bicycle guy is here! grin

I know when my place is the back of the room quietly listening.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Helped a buddy on a late season Mtn. Goat tag.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Both man and rifle took a heck of a spill-

Buckle popped but fortunately the rocks caught it before going over.

No goats were harmed during this trip, but a couple days later- scope still works

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Glad to hear you all survived. That could get a bit spooky. But, the only way you really will know if the scope still works is to send it down to Utah for a "playground C-Clamp" static tracking test. Of all people, I figured you would know that.
PM "the deisel cowboy"for more details........ wink

Last edited by screaminweasil; 11/07/19.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I’m glad you bumped this. I missed it somehow.

Great to hear about the scope, and great to see CC turn it into a classic.

Phucqk!

Dear god, it was a great read though, haven’t laughed that hard at someone’s obliviousness since safariman left us.. don’t leave us CC

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RHutch

The scope had 100k rounds “on it”, not the rifle you Dingus.

You’re not fooling CC with that. He knows scopes can’t fire rounds..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Glad to hear you all survived. That could get a bit spooky. But, the only way you really will know if the scope still works is to send it down to Utah for a "playground C-Clamp" static tracking test. Of all people, I figured you would know that.
PM "the deisel cowboy"for more details........ wink

Got a good chuckle outa that........

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another Campfire classic!!! LMAO

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hurrah!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by prm
Good stuff...

FFP, Mil....

Do we want .1 tick marks along the cross hairs, left and right? Both up and down?

0.05 mil just between SWFA 10 and 12X cross hairs....

Not to distract from the OPs fine work, but to answer you, I’m pretty simple. Same scales as the 3-9 or 6x42, just arranged like this:

[Linked Image]

So, take a SWFA 3-9x42, cap the windage, scale down el knob if possible, and use this reticle. That gets me from dark timber to as far as I’ll ever shoot at a critter. It’s simple, very capable, no illumination necessary, and will center quickly on a snap shot. I can dream...

Kind of looks like a Leupold Pig Plex.

Last edited by Huntz; 11/09/19.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by prm
Good stuff...

FFP, Mil....

Do we want .1 tick marks along the cross hairs, left and right? Both up and down?

0.05 mil just between SWFA 10 and 12X cross hairs....

Not to distract from the OPs fine work, but to answer you, I’m pretty simple. Same scales as the 3-9 or 6x42, just arranged like this:

[Linked Image]

So, take a SWFA 3-9x42, cap the windage, scale down el knob if possible, and use this reticle. That gets me from dark timber to as far as I’ll ever shoot at a critter. It’s simple, very capable, no illumination necessary, and will center quickly on a snap shot. I can dream...

Kind of looks like a Leupold Pig Plex.

That was Leupold reticle of the quarter last year , Q3 2018

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Shot on 9x I believe, with impact velocity of just above 1,800fps-

Checked zero after packing out the elk and a couple more severe hits-

Shot on 11x, with impact velocity right at 1,800fps as well-

Main hunting with the Meopta has pretty much ended. Have a couple more buck tags and does, but 223’s will get that work. The Optika 6, will go on a gas gun and get worked over hard.

Around 800 rounds, three big game animals for me from “pretty far” to about maximum distance, multiple shooters/hunters using it from point blank to 1,280 yards on 12” targets- no scope issues have been noted, it has maintained zero, adjusted, and RTZ correctly.
The reticle DOES work. Though every animal and most test shots have been with between .5-1.2 mils of wind hold.... right where the reticle is weakest. At least two hits on animals were unobserved due to the round impacting behind the thick donut ring. Three world class shooters have used it, and all preferred if it had no donut and some other method to see the reticle on low power. This really isn’t a knock on Meopta or Ilya- donuts are what people want. Why and how is a mystery as it is so very easy to show how that donut makes it harder to spot impacts from field positions.

And for CC,

Once again, not a single animal was killed using the scope on its maximum power. Other than zeroing, maximum power (18x) has not been used at all. Field of view matters WAY more than magnification, and being able to gather as much information as possible before, during, and after the shot is critical.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mine arrived this pass weekend from Doug, thanks again. 3-18x56 RD SFP 4C, really like the optic so far. Shot a few boxes this weekend with it and really liking it. Agree with the 18x, on 18x it is still very clear. But probably wouldn't need it during normal hunting situations. The 56 mm gathers some light. It will get you way pass legal times and the illuminated dot of the 4C can be dialed way down for low light hunting. I didn't and I wanted to, but I wanted to see what it weighed. On my Tikka T3 lite, it doesn't feel that heavy on the rifle. I got the capped turrets, but clicks are solid and audible. Trying to figure out how to reset zero. Was told it could be done.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Congrats on the successful hunts. Curious whether you've used the 1-6x24 at all, or seen it in use?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Shot on 9x I believe, with impact velocity of just above 1,800fps-
[img]

And for CC,

Once again, not a single animal was killed using the scope on its maximum power. Other than zeroing, maximum power (18x) has not been used at all. Field of view matters WAY more than magnification, and being able to gather as much information as possible before, during, and after the shot is critical.

form, have you read what I have said? I said FFP does have a very definite place in higher power optics. 18x is really beyond the power I want my long range "hunting" optics to be. my main long range hunting scopes are NXS 3.5-15x scopes. for a well rested up shot where I am going to move the turret, IE a prone shot off a pack, bipod or some other steady rest. I see no reason I wouldn't be on 15x max power, because I am not. I simply go prone, rest the gun, find the animal, (remember my scope is on the lowest power while stalking, walking, riding, whatever. ) crank the scope to max. power, adjust the turret, SHOOT. pretty simple. however even in most western hunting situations its very very common for the shots to not be long range, these situations also typically mean low light, early morning, last light etc. in which case the reticle must work well on low power in poor light. Trading that ability for subtensions that match at every power is not worth giving up, point and shoot low light abilty or hindering it. Remember this isn't shooting 20# rifles off fake barricades at long range targets that may be moving.

scopes are a trade off of some sort. FFP or SFP its a trade off. the power range of the scope is also a trade off. I am glad you like the meopta, I like their products, I look forward to more from them. I was using their S2 spotting scope looking for animals last night actually. nice animals looks like you had a great hunt. not much snow around where I am at yet, even in the high country all ours melted off. too bad I am wanting deer to push down for rutt hunting.

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 11/18/19.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Formid - what is that caveat on late production LRST/LRHS? Was thinking about giving an LRST a run.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cast10K
Formid - what is that caveat on late production LRST/LRHS? Was thinking about giving an LRST a run.

The early ones were solid, never saw issues. The ones from the last few years I have seen and heard from legit people some have issues. The probability of getting one with problems is very low, but it is there. They are at the level that if the LRHS/LRTS fit my needs, I wouldn’t hesitate to get one. Just test it thoroughly.

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

form, have you read what I have said?

I’ve read every post in this thread. Only one of us seems to have comprehension problems.

I said FFP does have a very definite place in higher power optics. 18x is really beyond the power I want my long range "hunting" optics to be. my main long range hunting scopes are NXS 3.5-15x scopes. for a well rested up shot where I am going to move the turret, IE a prone shot off a pack, bipod or some other steady rest. I see no reason I wouldn't be on 15x max power, because I am not.
I simply go prone, rest the gun, find the animal, (remember my scope is on the lowest power while stalking, walking, riding, whatever. ) crank the scope to max. power, adjust the turret, SHOOT. pretty simple.

How is it that you can not grasp “SPOTTING IMPACTS and SPLASH”? It is rare to see ones own impact with 15x on a sub 10lb rifle from field positions. Same for 12x, and really 9x. Every single person misses if they do much killing off a greenfield. Everyone. The only thing worse than a miss, is not seeing the miss, understanding why you missed, and correcting immediately.

however even in most western hunting situations its very very common for the shots to not be long range, these situations also typically mean low light, early morning, last light etc. in which case the reticle must work well on low power in poor light. Trading that ability for subtensions that match at every power is not worth giving up, point and shoot low light abilty or hindering it.

I kill things every singe year with both SFP and FFP scopes at near muzzle contact to past 1,200 meters in everything from Alabama swamps to 12,000 foot mountains, and in all lighting conditions. Do you?

A WELL designed FFP is perfectly usable from low and high powers. Just because most are not well designed, does not mean SFP is the answer.

Remember this isn't shooting 20# rifles off fake barricades at long range targets that may be moving.

Who are you speaking to with this quote? I don’t talk about things I’ve never used, that’s you.

From memory, I’ve killed or been on the spotting scope for animals being killed since October at 801, 606, 576, 342, 321, 317, 300, 289, 278, 242, 189, 189, 186, 176, 169, 70’ish, and 40’ish yards. Probably missing a few as well. The heaiviet rifle used has been 9.2lbs. Scopes were fixed 6’s, 3-9x’s, 2.5-10x, 3-12x, and 3-18x. The largest cartridge used so far is a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Wind has had to be held on the shots at- 801, 606, 321, 317, 300, 289, 242, 189, 186, 176, and 169. The only time a variable scope was on the highest power was the 2.5-10x at 317, 300, and 242 yards. The shooter wished for a FFP for each shot die to bigger FOV on lower power, however he still meeded to hold wind. He will be switching to a FFP directly.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,315 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.