Print Thread
Hop To
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The annual Michigan Woodcock/Grouse Dog tuneup is over. This year 3 three of us and 6 Dogs missed the best of the flight in our area, and by the last two days the Woodcock were moving South. Still ended with 244 Woodcock contacts. We only shoot a couple for the Dogs. Grouse were spotty and we ended up with flushes in the low 20's for 5 days. Still a great time and the Dogs got in some excellent work.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Last edited by battue; 10/15/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very nicely done! Hunted MI a couple of years ago before the woodcock season opened. May need to give it another go.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
One of the guys had a young Springer that we discovered has a great nose. By the third day he made his bones on Woodcock.

Then, when he got his first nose full of Ruffed Grouse he ripped it out. He may be his once in a lifetime Dog.

Last edited by battue; 10/16/19.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Good luck with the dog.. Glad you had a great hunt.. That 28 is looking like it is getting some gunning time!!!! Best of luck in the up coming season.. We will be after mule deer next week, and the Nov. pheasants... My dogs are anxious.. Good luck and great hunting...

Molon Labe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you,

Yes, the bloom is off the rose.

Best of luck back, and give the Dogs a long distance ear rub for me.

Last edited by battue; 10/16/19.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Sounds like a great trip in the woods for all. Was in the big timber of Northern WI last week and actually bumped more grouse than I expected to.
BTW, nice Ithaca you have there.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Grouse and woodcock are birds I dreamed about hunting since I was a kid. I made one trip to northern Wisconsin about 15 years ago, it just hasn't worked out since. I really love the northwoods and hope someday I can make the time. Great pictures , nice looking dog and shotgun too.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
were you in the U P, last time i was there wolves were a bad problem.

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks to all,

We have been in the UP, but most of the time we are below. Didn't have any issues with Wolves when we were up there a couple years ago. Years ago, we did have one cross paths with the truck when we were in Wisconsin.

Any who have a Birddog and wants to get them into Birds, should really consider trying to hit the Woodcock flight. The Dog contacts can be fantastic.

Last edited by battue; 10/26/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never done the woodcock thing, but all the footage I've seen makes it look damn near impossible.

1Minute
IC B3

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
Never done the woodcock thing, but all the footage I've seen makes it look damn near impossible.

In what way? When the Birds are in, we have easily had 20 points or flushes within 30minutes. When the cover is thick, killing them is not all that easy.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by battue
The annual Michigan Woodcock/Grouse Dog tuneup is over. This year 3 three of us and 6 Dogs missed the best of the flight in our area, and by the last two days the Woodcock were moving South. Still ended with 244 Woodcock contacts. We only shoot a couple for the Dogs. Grouse were spotty and we ended up with flushes in the low 20's for 5 days. Still a great time and the Dogs got in some excellent work.

You know that you’ve arrived, when you get to hunt with an English Cocker, while carrying an Ithaca 37 in 28 gauge! wink grin Congratulations on the great hunt!

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks, but if you see me sporting the recent AyA 20gauge sidelock I recently had my hands on, then the Citation 7 is idling on the runway. I almost bit, and still may, but it was almost too nice to hunt with.

Last edited by battue; 10/27/19.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by gunscrew
were you in the U P, last time i was there wolves were a bad problem.

Wolf problems are at their worst in bars, taverns, and diners. Stay away from them and you will have fewer problems.

Wolf encounters are pretty rare for bird hunters, the dogs work in relatively close proximity to the hunter who tends to make enough noise to warn wolves a person is coming. Pointing dogs might have a little more risk as they work further out but a beeper collar set to "Run" mode has worked well for me since 1987 and others for longer. Most ruffed grouse range in Minnesota overlaps with the wolf range so encounters could easily happen. Following the above advice, I am more worried about old wells/cisterns, punctures, and a host of other dangers rather than wolves. I have had pictures on my game cameras of wolves moving down the trail followed a couple minutes later by my dogs followed a couple minutes more by me when the dogs are wearing their beepers. Bells seem much less effective whether it's due to not carrying as far, not as annoying, or some other reason. That has been relayed to me by several members of a grouse guide service based on their experience as well as relatives still in the Arrowhead region.

So, if you have a hankering to chase grouse but are worried about wolves, relax. It is unlikely one will encounter a wolf and a few precautions will reduce further the odds of such a happening.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Photos like these are what keeps me here.

I very much appreciate your post and love to look at that great little birder. He's the Jose Altuve of bird dogs.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
luv2safari,

Thank you,

I had to look Jose up, but I think you nailed it. Hunted him today with a couple friends and two big Pointers. On the way home, one of them said Merlot outhunts his size times four.

Hunted game land Pheasants and there were few. One got up wild in front of one of the others, but gave me a 20yard crossing shot. It fell into a no mans land propagation area. Merlot couldn't read the signs and brought it out. wink

Then one of the Pointers locked up on the edge of some thick briars, but nothing came up. Finally sent Merlot in and he came back out with this Bird that was alive, but had been crippled by someone else.

So while it is not Michigan, I will post it up here anyway.

PS: I follow your posts, and you have done a better than good job with your Grandson. Even from here, I've had the chance to watch him grow.

Last edited by battue; 10/28/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,762 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.