Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I meant to post this in the deer hunting forum but my fingers are too fat. Lol

For deer hunting, what is the best ground blind for $100?

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 10/15/19.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
BP-B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Academy Sports has good deals on ground blinds.

https://www.academy.com/shop/browse/blinds

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't get the spring loop type like used for windshield screens or kiddie tents they can't take any wind. If you bow hunt you need a tall blind. A larger blind 60" plus allows you to sit off to one side so you don't get back lit. Go up a grade on the fabric which is usually only about $30 more especially if you will leave it set up.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cheap & good do not belong together.

Up here, a good blind costs between $200 & $300.

Had the $99 dollar "specials" & they're all junk.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Costco has Ameristep Brickhouse blinds /with a swivel chair for $99

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Primos club on sale usually about $70-90. It's what I use. No issues after 3 years. Mine are up from October thru March/April.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like a low turkey blind made by Hunter Specialties. It has four collapsible fiberglass stakes and rolls up and fits in my pack. Quick and easy to hide a lot of movement for a ground gun hunter.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Barronett has a 2 person I’ve been using for 4 or 5 years. I think they’re about $119 each. Will be getting 1 or 2 more.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, the Barronett blood line blind is a good one. Had ours for over 5 seasons.

Just got to be diligent in wet heavy snow, to keep the roof cleaned off, or the top hub collapses.

They are about $200 here though.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll bet their snow camo pattern would be ideal in that snow covered area. I've got their green pattern 250 Grounder and the even smaller discontinued Windstorm and I got spotted last year from that Windstorm by an 8 point and a fox. I think it was a new shape in a big woods or maybe the fact that we need a 12x12" florescent orange square on each side for the gun season. What I don't like about the Barronett lower end blinds is the corner zipper because getting in and out stresses it too much. I would get one of their blinds with the rounded entry. I did take some deer out of both my blinds with a crossbow, but that was in farm country where the deer tolerate more than woods deer. A big pop up blind is lots to carry in and out for a one day sit on public land.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two of the Ameristep Doghouse blinds up now on two different properties. One's been up since April since it was used in May during Turkey season and by now the deer don't think twice about seeing it anymore. It's three years old this fall and will be out there until mid December. The area is pretty sheltered from high wind and it's staked down at all 4 corners and has 4 guy lines leading out to a stake from each corner about half way up so it's held down tight. The other Doghouse I just got this year and its been set up since Sept. in the same fashion. Had the roof bow in on my first one after a heavy, wet snowfall in late November last year but just popped it back up and haven't had any other problems. Got the newest one on sale in August for about $70. IIRC. Based on trail cam photos from the one that's been up since April it takes a couple weeks minimum before deer start walking by on a regular basis.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Ameristep Doghouse is all we use now. Tried several and settled on this model for several reasons including you can get it up and down very quickly and it stores very well. Lower profile is easy to hide with a little brush. Holds in scent inside really well and deer get used to it within a week or two. I'm over 6 feet and I can get in and out just fine. Mine have lasted as long as the other makes we have used and if a tree limb falls on it you haven't lost a couple hundred dollars. Enough room inside to stretch you legs out. Not big enough for two hunters however. I have tried a bunch of chairs and found one at Sam's Club that is metal with plastic bottom and back for 20 bucks that has worked great for three seasons. I think we have eights Doghouses out right now and everyone is very pleased. I will say that in some locations the wood rats will chew the bottom corners requiring a little repair. As with all of the blinds, hot sun will fade and weaken the material. Good hunting to you.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Cattle panel + 2 blue tarps

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good limb pruner. And a chair. You set the chair where you want the blind. Then use the pruner to cut limbs, brush, saplings to make a blind.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We use the Doghouse exclusively. Plenty durable if you stake them right. We use two "bag chairs" inside. I can use it with my brother (were both 6'2" and at 235, I'm the little guy). But it's close quarters. Mostly, I use them to turkey hunt with the kids.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (257 roberts, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.