Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great info, thanks for posting.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Don’t touch anything without gloves

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and then one takes this meat and puts it on a plate? Talk about walking on the wild side!

I've made it through life so far by pretty much laughing at germs, but now I'm afraid to go out side.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/18/19.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bummer. I've died at least 37 times in my life.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good idea to use off on your boots and pant legs. We don’t have near the ticks, since fire ants moved in our area.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'm just getting over Rocky Mountain Spotted after a lots of meds..

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by schoolmarm

I'm just getting over Rocky Mountain Spotted after a lots of meds..

Am really happy to hear that! Glad you're feeling better.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Permetherin is much more effective on clothing than Off

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Good idea to use off on your boots and pant legs. We don’t have near the ticks, since fire ants moved in our area.
You are right about fire ants vs ticks. Before the fire ants showed up I would be forever getting ticks off. Now I don't remember the last time someone got into seed ticks and the bigger ones are a whole lot less of a problem. A fried of mine went to Missouri squirrel hunting a few years ago and told me you could not sit down without getting infested with ticks. On the down side the quail and rabbits seem to have suffered huge population declines since the ants moved in.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bobmn
Permetherin is much more effective on clothing than Off

It is and lasts longer. Picardin is also good. I got tick gaiters for a friend doing a lot of hiking in the NE she only found one tick after daily hikes all summer.
The gaiters help with chiggers too. I have used diatomaceous earth sometimes mixed with sulpher for both ticks and fire ants. It is pretty effective if you keep re-applying it after you go through tall grass and brush. I put it in an old stocking inside of an old gym sock and I would whack this over my pants especially below the knees. I like to double up and use two or three repellents at a time and this seems to make them much more effective.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Courtesy of Oxford Academic
Journal of Medical Entomology

FULL ARTICLE LINK: https://academic.oup.com/jme/article/41/2/239/835947

Human Behaviors Elevating Exposure to Ixodes pacificus (Acari: Ixodidae) Nymphs and Their Associated Bacterial Zoonotic Agents in a Hardwood Forest

Robert S. Lane, Denise B. Steinlein, Jeomhee Mun
Journal of Medical Entomology, Volume 41, Issue 2, 1 March 2004, Pages 239–248, https://doi.org/10.1603/0022-2585-41.2.239
Published:
01 March 2004
Article history

pdfPDF
Split View
Cite
Permissions Icon Permissions

Abstract

Epidemiological evidence suggests that the nymph of the western black-legged tick, Ixodes pacificus Cooley and Kohls, is the primary vector of the Lyme disease spirochete, Borrelia burgdorferi Johnson, Schmid, Hyde, Steigerwalt, and Brenner, to humans in northwestern California. In spring 2002, six different human behaviors were evaluated as potential risk factors for acquiring I. pacificus nymphs in a deciduous woodland in Mendocino County, California. Also, the prevalence of B. burgdorferi sensu lato (s.l.) and the causative agents of human granulocytic (Anaplasma phagocytophilum [Foggie] Dumler, Barbet, Bekker, Dasch, Palmer, Ray, Rikihisa, and Rurangirwa) and monocytic ehrlichioses (Ehrlichia chaffeensis Anderson, Dawson, Jones, and Wilson) was determined in nymphs that had been collected from subjects or by dragging leaf litter. Activities involving a considerable degree of contact with wood resulted in greater acquisition of nymphs than those involving exposure solely to leaf litter. Time-adjusted tick-acquisition rates demonstrated that sitting on logs was the riskiest behavior, followed, in descending rank, by gathering wood, sitting against trees, walking, stirring and sitting on leaf litter, and just sitting on leaf litter. The number of ticks acquired appeared to be unrelated to the type of footwear worn (hiking boots, hiking sandals, or running shoes). Overall, 3.4% (n = 234) of the nymphs were infected with A. phagocytophilum, 3.9% (n = 181) with B. burgdorferi s.l., and none (n = 234) with E. chaffeensis. Of 13 nymphs infected with either A. phagocytophilum or B. burgdorferi s.l., 2 (15.4%) were coinfected with both bacteria, as were 1.3% of 158 nymphs obtained from leaf litter, the first report of coinfection in this life stage of I. pacificus. Four unattached, infected nymphs were removed from subjects, including two acquired while sitting on logs that contained A. phagocytophilum, another with the same bacterium obtained while walking, and one acquired while gathering wood that was infected with B. burgdorferi s.l. Despite the use of extreme personal preventive measures by both subjects, two attached, uninfected nymphs were removed from one of them ≥1–2 d postexposure. The public health implications of these findings are discussed.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Jeez, make sure you wash your hands!

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We are all going to die......

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

Uhh...yeahhh...Senator Kay Hagen died from a bite of an infected tick.

Study up and you may just end up dying from complications of "old age".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by BlueDuck

Uhh...yeahhh...Senator Kay Hagen died from a bite of an infected tick.

Study up and you may just end up dying from complications of "old age".

Headed that direction in a hurry..

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by hanco
You are right about fire ants vs ticks. Before the fire ants showed up I would be forever getting ticks off. Now I don't remember the last time someone got into seed ticks and the bigger ones are a whole lot less of a problem. A fried of mine went to Missouri squirrel hunting a few years ago and told me you could not sit down without getting infested with ticks. On the down side the quail and rabbits seem to have suffered huge population declines since the ants moved in.

I took a "scorched earth" approach to fire ants at my house some years ago and killed every single mound I found in my yard and pasture. It was unbelievable how the tick population exploded that year. We had ticks everywhere, even found them crawling on our bed sheets one night after we or a pet tracked them in.

Since then, I only kill the mounds that are unsightly or where they're causing a problem, otherwise I try to find that happy balance and live with the fire ants.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Fire ants may keep the ticks and cotton insects down but they are one of the primary reasons quail and prairie chicken populations have crashed. The ants eat the small insects that quail chicks eat before they get large enough to eat grasshopper sized stuff.

Permetherin treated clothes like the military issues is the best answer. Way better than Off for full time or serious woods work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.