Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
What is the best, realistic sounding deer call that you HAVE EXPERIENCE with? So many I have tried over the years sound so artificial. What say you? Just looking for a decent buck grunt to call with.

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
i like my buck roar. Used it once this year and killed a decent 8. So 100% success rate so far lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have run a ton of grunt calls from customs to primos hardwood grunters, buck growls, and the old HS precision grunter over the last 30 yrs or so with enough success to keep on using the grunt call.

That said last year, while walking into a big piece of public land, I noticed a disgusting looking bright green ringed object on the ground off to the side of the trail. It looked like some kind of crap a nintendo warrior would dream up. Low and behold upon inspection, it was a grunt call, a Primos Revolver to be exact.

The only thing I can say with truth is that every single note it makes is true to nature from fawn and doe blats to immature and mature buck grunts. I found it towards the end of the season last year and that was the last day of the year for me so didn't get the chance to hunt the call. I cleaned it up later and hit some notes and wow, it sounds like the real deal. I have used it this year on four hunts, only one of which I didn't have a small buck come in to check out. If you muffle the end of the call at the end of the short tending grunt, it truly is amazing.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd find out what shaman uses - bucks apparently call back to him. whistle

Originally Posted by shaman
Both times, I let out a grunt early in the morning and got an angry, aggressive return call from the buck. He wanted a piece of me and he was coming to teach me a lesson.

I use mine mostly in conjunction with rattling. And I'm partial to the Primos Rubberneck.
It was the first one that I'd found that offered what I consider realistic vocalization with ample volume. Tis a bit prone to freezing when it's really cold so I always have a spare.
I'm not sure they even make it anymore as there's likely been 8 generations since.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've heard a buck grunt, like twice. Most of the time they run when I grunt at them.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I like my primos bottleneck.
I’ve called in tons of bucks with it.
2 years ago I called this guy in while he was cruising by.
Gave me a 24 yd shot.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
I'd find out what shaman uses - bucks apparently call back to him. whistle

Originally Posted by shaman
Both times, I let out a grunt early in the morning and got an angry, aggressive return call from the buck. He wanted a piece of me and he was coming to teach me a lesson.

If memory serves, mine is this no-name plastic thingus I got as a premium for ordering a subscription to Bowhunter Magazine back in the mid-80's. The first time I took it afield, I gave a little toot on it, and immediately got a stampede of doe that decided to break cover and darn near run me over.

Shaman's First Deer

I don't claim it has magic powers, and I don't use it much, but dang if it hasn't made my day on several occasions. The last time, 2007, that buck was so determined to have a piece of me, I was glad I was up a tree.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

162 members (338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.