Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Before it even started.

Live and hunt in Illinois. I hunt pubic land and here you apply in April for the county you want to hunt. My spot is in Pike Co, along the Mississippi. Took a drive yesterday to scout the area. As I crossed the sand levy I was greeted with about 8 feet of flowing water up to the edge of the levy. The season doesn't start for another 6 weeks, but there's no way that much water will disappear by that time.

I stopped at the lodge I normally stay at and told them I wouldn't be around this year for the opener. Gina, the manager, told me she would ask around if there is a local farmer who wouldn't mind a few less deer munching on their crops … there still may be hope!

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Maybe ? Hopefully ? the water will recede faster than you think.

Maybe you’ll be offered & find not only a place to hunt but some new Friends as well.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never know - hope it does work out for you.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sorry.
I would never give up.
As a matter of fact I’d probably look for an “island” with a boat and try that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd have a hard time giving up Pike County myself, but those deer need to be somewhere and a year bigger next year if they survive this year's gauntlet. Kind of a milestone year for me too with new anti hunter management where I usually stay with more hoops than I want to jump through and a 50% up charge from last year. When does a guy say enough is enough and just go hunt, or not?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Tom264
Sorry.
I would never give up.
As a matter of fact I’d probably look for an “island” with a boat and try that.

Often thats illegal during floods in most states that I'm aware of. Just FYI to look at in the rules if you decide to attempt that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An awful situation. The lower parking area at my WMA occasionally is inaccessible due to flooding but the upper one is always open.

Every time I read about having to draw a tag just to hunt, I'm thankful for where I live. Really big deer aren't found in many places here, but public land is open to all, all the time, except for special park hunts.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
There's Hope! The first 3-day season starts on Friday the 22nd. Went up Saturday to see how much water was still there. I was amazed that most of it was not under water. I won't be able to get back to my usual spots with all the streams still above chest-wader level, but I noticed a much higher density of tracks in and out along the levy. They are still going in and out of there, but their routes have been funneled to one ambush point (sorry but you can't see the sly grin on my face right now). So, I won't have to walk 1/2 mile in with all my stuff and then take it all back out again, plus drag any animal killed … the funnel point is just on the other side of the levy about 50 yds from where I park the jeep.

Oh, and the really great part … I busted three fat does when I pulled up to the parking spot. They were on the top of the levy and went back towards the river. Some big buck will be tapping that!

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Go get'em,fill that freezer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, reads like a grin-worthy spot!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 3,267 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.