Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The original panels on my 4x4 blind (sits atop a 6 foot stand) - it is about 5'7 at the door and 5'10 at the front and makes for one of the few times in life being short is an advantage!!! The original OSB came with that camouflage wallpaper stuff that lasted maybe two years. I painted over that some years back but the tin roof had no overhang so water ran off the roof and down the sides. Bottom edge of that osb acted like a sponge. I had hoped to get another year out of it but the carpenter ants discovered it as you can see from the 'before' pic.

I took measurements and cut near to size panels from 3/8" plywood at the house and painted all including the trim. I numbered every piece. Got to the stand and peeled back the edges of the original tin roof an removed the top pieces of trim. Then removed all the screws and took off the trim and sides one by one. I laid the old side over the new one laying on saw horses and traced out the window openings. Made a new door and painted the hardware black and also the legs black - really made it look put together.

New tin roof overhangs a bit , as planned, and is corrugated. Three of my buddies removed it from one of their homes about to be demolished a few years ago- yes I had this in mind for part of it. Should help keep excess water off sides. I want to keep those corrugated openings so plan is to paint the underside of the overhanging roof a sky blue color and to fill those opening with a little screening.

I still need to paint a little trim as you can see but....pretty happy with it.

Thought or suggestions relative to the building of the stand?? You can save your opinion of using one.

Before - obviously
[Linked Image]

After. Buddy told me "well....its better than that pink"
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Two minor additions. The small black door handle. Should make it steadier to balance when opening etc...

The hook on the right side is for hanging the rifle or backpack getting in and out . My buddy's stand is 10' up and I put one in for him same day. Can get a little scary at the top in high winds etc...

I plan to add visors (or whatever )over the other two windows. My dear wife made the new curtains....got a new sewing machine outta the deal. Ain't complaining.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got it lookin good.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done. Sure is nice to be comfortable on long sits.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure what's out the back door, but, you might cut a window back there. Seems like that's where the biguns always sneak by.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I built a 4X6 blind a number of years ago. Put it on an old farm wagon and pulled it from place to place at first, then decided to put it on an 8 foot stand, and that's where it's been for quite a few years. It sits in a fencerow, and the damned squirrels have about chewed it to pieces. I'm getting tired of patching up holes, and am going to have to decide whether to redo it, or patch it up for another year.

I like the metal stand in the OP. Mine's on wood, and the mice and squirrels have no trouble climbing up. I need to do something like that with mine. I built another shooting house this year, a 6X6 that I have on a wagon now, but it will be put on a stand as soon as I can get my son in gear to help me. It's metal siding, so that will eliminate the squirrels chewing it up.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks good. How long did the first stand last?

Not sure where that is looks like western hill country. We have some stands in West Texas and Wyoming has nothing on the winds out there. We have had entire cabins move or try to. We even added braces to a wall so it would stop flexing so much and we could get some sleep, right.

Anyway the roof eaves look vulnerable to me and they will start working loose at some point, enough so rain will soak the frame work. I would add an eave of 2x2"s or 2x4"s and connect this to the main frame at at least two locations each side. If you add windows go with Lexan as it is much stronger than Plexi and has twice the UV resistance. While your wife is still enjoying the new sewing machine I would ask her to make "black out" curtains for each window. I would add a second curtain that blocks 60-75% of the windows especially where they may get back lighted.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys, the pattern is disappointingly unnoticeable from a distance (not enough contrasts) but it does blend in a whole lot better from afar. I do like the way it looks up close though.

I went back yesterday and finished painting the trim and windows openings and did paint the overhangs a sky blue. James- a 6x 6 would feel like luxury. Sounds like you earned it!

Tejano - the original lasted - including after I painted it- gonna say 8 years. My buddy bought from the same guy same time but is plywood is still going strong after I straightened out his roof. Painting his helped and it is due another coat.

I am not worried about the overhang because they are part of two 3x5 pieces of corrugated tin secured to the roof over the original tin so not sure why it is you think I should worry about it. They aren't just small tacked on pieces- am I missing something? They don't overhang all that much, the door side is the low side and not exposed to the wind where it is. I did cut some screening for the corrugate openings, tucked it in and sprayed some spray adhesive through it. Felt rather clever for it.

I painted the edge of my door to cover any open plywood. Then sprayed flex seal on it and the frame itself. The curtains work fine and do a good job and yesterday while I was at it I shot some dark brown spray paint across the back and upper portion of the sides inside.

On putting a window in the back I thought about it but think I prefer keeping a solid background. The one time I really thought about one was when a nearby coyote was yodeling up a storm until I cracked my door open. Was like taking the needle off a record. Funny.

Sore all over after spending hours lopping cedars to open up my view. Once I started I couldn't stop- ya know what I mean? Little more....little more....

What a GREAT way to spend a day in perfect weather. Fished the good sized tank at dusk and caught a couple dozen bass up to a little over 3 lbs, Perfect day in my book.

Oh my old lease was in west Texas and that original paint job worked better there. This one is in the cedars and rocks between Hico and Glen Rose.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Looks great bro you’ll have to let me know if that flexseal lives up to the commercials laugh. !!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Looks real good!!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, a hard learned lesson, camo needs big contrast to blend typically. Pink would not have mattered, a camo stand is only for you. Deer dont care once they are used to it. Anything new is new... even camo..

Small stands. We have 1 left, its a PITA with wife and dog.

Our main stand at home is 4x8. Main one at the deer lease is octagon 4 foot walls, nice for all 3 of us. Not cheap as I built it out of all treated. On a trailer with jack stands on the back and 2 jacks on the front. about 10-12 foot to window level. Can take it apart to move as its all screwed/bolted. Or move slowly as it is.

Have never used curtains or seen the need for them. Even when the blind is up close, we have the smallest one at handgun range.... of course I'm sure they don't hurt anything.

We have windows out back, which works really well if Tiger is sitting in his chair, he doesn't miss anything if he isn't on the floor napping, and he has alerted us to more than a few deer, though out our back its mostly wide open and kind of not normal for the deer to be out there.

If I hunted alone a 4x4 would be ok I suppose. But the older I get the more I like room to stretch, to stand etc...

BTW new bind looks good. Good job!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nice looking stand.

lightman
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. Bigger would be nice of course, so would a shelf for resting the rifle and maybe allowing for a small heater to keep some heat in front of m. As it is I gotta 'rough it' as far as cold goes. Always looking for ways to keep the feet warm . Getting two people in there is ...snug. Luckily I am smallish which helps. I have a hunters swivel chair- glad I bought one- how many feel nasty sitting in someone else's blind on an old, cushioned, typically squeaky, office chair that's been in there for years? I bring a small tripod that allows me to give my chair to a guest. Problem is it is a bit too low and I am a bit too short- but. what the heck.

I have one last touch. That latch that keeps the door locked by shoving a whittled stick in the catch is kind of crappy. You take the stick out and half the time drop it - so I finally got wise and bought a small hitch pin that has an attached length of cable I will screw into the siding. Looking down to pick it up off step has me concerned for my buddy on his 10 footer- so I will add one his as well. Just trying to make things safer. I already used that large side hook to help keep steady when getting out of his so glad I put it on. Just something to grab for balance more than putting much weight on it while opening and closing the door.

It is getting close to time fellas ....!!!

. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,544
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.