Hop To
#14176819 10/04/19
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Looking at a lighter, and little less expensive pair of boots for day hunting. Any experience with keen and how waterproof they actually are?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Keen Targhee II. Excellent lightweight boot. Wear them in the North Cascades crossing rivulets of 2-3 inches water depth. Great on "well-watered" and mucky trails, too. The exterior looks wet, dries very fast and interior boot has not gotten wet...yet.

Decent grip and traction in alpine snow as well.

BTW, the boots are very cool and comfortable in desert environments as well.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They might not fit everyone but they fit me perfectly. I have a wide ball on my feet and narrow heels.
I've had them wet many times without any leakage but I haven't worn them in day long slush or muck. It's mostly creek crossings and wet grass.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks. Been searching and reviews seemed mixed. I am not sure i'm brave enough for a big hunt but for the typical 2-6 mile rut hunt days they might be a welcome break from the leather boots I am used to wearing. How do they feel with 60-80lb load?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've been wearing Keen Pyrenees for about 6 months now as my every day boot. My feet feel like they're surrounded by soft newborn puppies. Haven't hunted them yet. Taking them to Wyoming next week on a prairie goat hunt. I've walked through a lot of wet morning grass and they've stayed bone dry. Have not submerged them in puddles running water though. I wear size 13, bought 14's for thicker socks, and they fit quite well with thin wool or heavier wool socks.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've had several pairs of Keens over the years.

Both hiking and work boots. Very comfortable at first, but mine seem to wear out quicker than any of shoes I've ever had.

I'm not talking material breaking down, but it's like the soles get weak and they start hurting my feet. May just be me though, a lot of guys I've worked with have raved about them.

Can't comment on the waterproofing part. When I wear short boots/shoes in the field my socks always get wet above them and soak down. Meant to order a short pair of gaiters before bow season but forgot. I'm going back to wearing running/hiking shoes for hunting when it's not too steep, rocky or cold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Insoles are replaceable.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I picked up a pair of Targhees in 15 and wore them out on the trail a fair bit. Didn’t have a lot of chance to test their waterproofness.

They blew out on the AT summer-before-last and I sent them the picture. They sent me a coupon for replacement Targhee IIs and I’ve been really happy with them. Yesterday morning I wore them shooting and there was heavy dew and one leaked a fair bit.

Mind you these are 2 years old so they’ve got a fair number of miles on them. They’re extremely comfortable on the trail tho I don’t carry near the weights you’re talking about. They’re a great mid-point between full leather hikers and trail runners IMHO.

I’ll get another pair when these go but that won’t likely be for quite a while. These’ll be going to South Dakota’s Black Hills with me in November where I may get close to your load qualification when I have a buck in my pack 🙏🏼!

Enjoy your hunting!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I think Salomon makes a better product at a comparable price. No knocks on Keen or MErrils, but I feel Salomon are built better and more comfortable.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I won't be buying any more Keen products. I bought a pair of light hikers and set them back for a year. When I went to use them, one sole came loose from heel to toe almost immediately--as if it had never been glued. I contacted their customer service and was told that since I did not have the purchase receipt proving that I had bought them from an an authorized dealer within the past year, there was nothing they would do, other than recommend a glue they thought I might try. I glued up the shoe, and 120 miles into a 226 mile float trip down the Grand Canyon, it gave out again. Electrical tape allowed me to limp them out of there.

Seems like Keen would rather hide behind a policy than stand behind their product. I am sure there are people who have gotten lots of good service from their boots, but defects happen in any manufacturing process. The test of a company is how they respond to those clinkers.

IC B3

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I found a newish pair of Solomon gtx 4d hikers for $75 on Facebook.

Did a 4 mile hunt today in them. Good ankle support. Very lightweight compared to the leather boots. Felt good. No water issues and it was pouring out.

Coming down steep and nasty, be careful. Way different than the leathers. Hard to dig heals in on the slick mud. Had some impressive wipe outs

Will report back after 10 hunts.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I love their Jesus sandles....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a pair of Keen Aphlex mids- they fit wonderfully and were very comfortable, BUT they just weren't robust enough for hunting elk in steep country, they also didn't handle heavier loads very well

nice boot, but not the right boot for me elk hunting

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,700 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.