Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gene270 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
can anybody comment on these units, I would love to replace my unit that uses salt
We have well water and two daughters that love to take showers so it seems we use a lot of salt, one question i will ask is how hard can the water be when using this type of softener f
I am going to make a call later but wanted real world experience if anybody has some...thanks

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
is this the kind that has coils that wraps around the pipe?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought one for $99 a couple years ago and, frankly, I don't know how well it works. We still get lime buildup on the shower doors, and some around the taps, but it cleans up easily enough.

I'm interested in others experience and what they're using as I'd definitely like to find one that works well as I refuse to put in a salt softener.

People go on about global warming yet are oblivious to the amount of salt that they're dumping into our drinking water systems and lakes. Fuggin' idiots.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My friend just uses potassium pellets instead of salt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Where do you think salt comes from? Outer space?

Ours comes from evaporation plants around the Great Salt Lake, and when it gets flushed through our softener systems, it drains back to...Great Salt Lake.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

G
gene270 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
apparently this set up neutralizes the hard deposits so they dont stick to the pipes and appliances

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Ours comes from evaporation plants around the Great Salt Lake, and when it gets flushed through our softener systems, it drains back to...Great Salt Lake.

Well, ours doesn't. There are salt deposits in and around the Great Lakes where much of it is mined. But it's not in the water until we put it there.

We use a lot of road salt in the winter, too. My ex had high blood pressure and needed to reduce salt and I looked at ways to do that. Turns out our city drinking water, tested and deemed safe, is drawn from a large river and has 6 times the salt in it than well water. Then we're adding in water softener salt so that whoever takes water from downriver gets even higher concentrations.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

haven't you been watching how the universe works?? they said that water came originally from outer space in salt crystals to fill the oceans...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by plainsman456
My friend just uses potassium pellets instead of salt.

i had one of those. pellets went from 5 bucks a bag to like 15 overnight. two bags a month adds up.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the many uses of cow magnets.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Mine uses salt, it works fine, doesn’t use much salt.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I called one of those companies when I had my well dug 2 years ago. He was very honest and said that only one that uses salt will get rid of lime and some other minerals. The saltless would not. Ed k

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana

Well, ours doesn't. There are salt deposits in and around the Great Lakes where much of it is mined. But it's not in the water until we put it there.

We use a lot of road salt in the winter, too. My ex had high blood pressure and needed to reduce salt and I looked at ways to do that. Turns out our city drinking water, tested and deemed safe, is drawn from a large river and has 6 times the salt in it than well water. Then we're adding in water softener salt so that whoever takes water from downriver gets even higher concentrations.

Looking back on it you should have just turned the water softener up..............probably would have been cheaper. wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Second one was far more expensive, like 10X. But I learned the price of my sanity and it was worth every penny!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gene270
can anybody comment on these units, I would love to replace my unit that uses salt
We have well water and two daughters that love to take showers so it seems we use a lot of salt, one question i will ask is how hard can the water be when using this type of softener f
I am going to make a call later but wanted real world experience if anybody has some...thanks

Gimmicks,
If they actually worked, don't you think they would be more popular?
Regarding Ion exchange with out an actual exchange, when did the laws of physics change?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Mine uses salt, it works fine, doesn’t use much salt.

Effective softeners use an ion exchange system trading a sodium or potassium ion for the ion of the dissolved mineral you are trying to get out of the water. Anyone trying to make claims on any other method is trying to sell you junk.

It really depends on how bad your water is and how often your system has to regenerate.

There's places around Fairbanks that have craploads of iron in the water and softening systems have to be regenerated every few days. I lived in an area with high calcium and my Culligan system only had to regenerated about every 10 days to 2 weeks. I may have went through a bag and a half per month.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stevelyn

There's places around Fairbanks that have craploads of iron in the water and softening systems have to be regenerated every few days.

Why are you asking a Softener to do a filters job?

Misapplication.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by stevelyn

There's places around Fairbanks that have craploads of iron in the water and softening systems have to be regenerated every few days.

Why are you asking a Softener to do a filters job?

Misapplication.

The iron is dissolved. A filter won't do schitt.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes but first, it go's through your septic system if you have one, and it screws up your concrete septic tank and concrete distribution box. So if one must use salt it is best to have poly tank and box, otherwise expect to replace both tank and box as the salt destroys them pretty quick.

Last edited by 673; 10/16/19.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My new home has iron bacteria in the well. Anybody know a way to deal with that? I've nuked the whole system about every 3 months with a bunch of bleach but it always comes back.

Bb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
368 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.