Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Motown Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So I live in PA and the farm I hunt deer on the shots can range from 20 yards to 350 yards. I have 6.5 Creed in a T3X Lite and it really likes the 135 Berger Classic Hunters. I know what Bergers are designed to do upon impact and my question is does anybody have experience with this bullet on shots inside of 100yards?

I know some guys are gonna recommend trying another bullet even though they have never used the classic hunters, but I would like to know who has a first hand experience with them and what your results have been?

Last edited by Motown; 10/16/19.
GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don’t have experience with the 135s but the Berger 140s work awesome in my 6.5SAUM. At creed velocity you should be just fine with any of the ranges you listed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is a reply Berger sent me, while corresponding with them about closer shots with the 185 Classic Hunter. Here is the video link they sent me on this very subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8j-7D-bubQ&t=7s

Here is what they wrote to me.

Originally Posted by Berger
Thank you for contacting us at Capstone PG.  With the way our Berger Big Game Bullets are designed to work for you we do not anticipate any issues with using them in an "up close" shot on game.  We are including the following short video link of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8j-7D-bubQ&t=7s that you can click onto that will start a video that Bob Beck from Extreme Outer Limits did for us explaining how our bullet will work up close for you.  Please do not hesitate to get back with any of us with the Capstone Tech. Team if we can be of further assistance.

Bob Blaine
Technical Support
Capstone Precision Group, LLC

Last edited by 7point62mag; 10/17/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I can't report on the 6.5, but a friend of mine loves the 168 grain Classic Hunter out of a 308.

M
Motown Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to give them a try in a few weeks and will post results.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not the same bullet of course, this being the Berger 6.5mm 130 grain OTM Tactical bullet, but I was very impressed by it's long range results in a 6.5 Creed. I'm getting ready to try some in my 6.5 Grendel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogiLSyMGOzw&t=44s

Last edited by Shadow; 10/18/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also can't comment on the 6.5 Berger Classics but can attest that at close range <150 yds and above 3k fps in the 7mm and 308 offerings that they have let me down as to an exit wound on steep angled shots. When you have a high entrance from a steep angle and no exit that makes for a zero blood loss trailing job. I hunt from a climber 99% of the time so steep entrance angles are the norm. Switched back to the LRX and am now getting those much needed exit wounds for my style of hunting.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They shatter on impact.
Berger even says so (although they tell you they go in 5" first, but I have NEVER seen done)
Some folks seem to think the bullet shattering like a ball of glass is good.
I don't.

If you do you'll love them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That really isn’t true.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Use a heavy for caliber Berger and they work extremely well. High velocity and many bullets tend to start doing funny things.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by szihn
They shatter on impact.
Berger even says so (although they tell you they go in 5" first, but I have NEVER seen done)
I don't.

Well, we've put about 150 of them into game. I"ve yet to see anything but a caliber entry hole. Ever. YMMV. And I don't care for lots of bullet damage so I find myself amazed that I use them. In fact just took 2 more boxes down to basement loading area.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
They shatter on impact.
I don't.

Well, we've put about 150 of them into game. I"ve yet to see anything but a caliber entry hole. Ever. YMMV. And I don't care for lots of bullet damage so I find myself amazed that I use them. In fact just took 2 more boxes down to basement loading area.

Same experience here. Caliber size entry hole and destroyed vitals. Exit holes are very common also.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
They shatter on impact.
I don't.

They don't shatter on impact. They enter 4 to 6" , at which point the frontal jacket implodes( caves in) exposing the soft lead core which rapidly breaks apart, causing massive tissue trauma. They are generally not designed to exit. These bullets kill with massive shock and tissue damage. If you want a mushrooming bullet, and an exit hole shoot something else. But don't make the mistake of thinking these bullets fail if there is no exit hole. That is not how they are designed to work.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Szihn has made the exploding claim many times on the Campfire, and other people with plenty of experience using Bergers have contested his claim, having never seen this surface "explosion" he mentions. In fact, when field-testing Bergers in New Zealand on their over-abundant feral goats, I TRIED to get one to explode--by shooting a big billy that had just been killed in the shoulder joint at 10 feet. The bullet was a 168 .30 VLD, and it poked the same tiny hole into the shoulder before expanding inside. On the same hunt, my wife also head-shot a fallow deer doe in the head, at the request of the camp cook. Same deal: Tiny entrance hole--though the exit was good-sized.

Yet he keeps telling the world about how Bergers explode on impact.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Been shooting the 115gr Berger out of my 25-06 for years, only had one exit and that was a 40 yard shot. When I do my part I've never had a whitetail go more than 40 yards, internal damage is impressive! Agree with the others that if you like an exit wound these are not what you should be shooting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have not used this one but the video link above had this one next in que. it seems to be what you're interested in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHUM8lDo430

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by BigNate
I have not used this one but the video link above had this one next in que. it seems to be what you're interested in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHUM8lDo430

He has no understanding of how Bergers work.

Erroneous conclusions based on faulty knowledge.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Berger Classic Hunters perform as all thin jacketed Berger’s do- penetration is 2-4 inches regardless of whether it’s through muscle or bone, the tip collapses in on itself tearing the jacket apart and causing massive fragmentation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Again, not a 135, but a regular 130 VLD, 225 yards, 6.5x47 Lapua at 2820.......

Entrance:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Exit:

Exit:

In between:

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

130 VLD again, quartering away, 350 yards, 6.5-284 at 3150:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,486
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.