Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
This scope has been a big deal online and with certain segments of the market since it was announced. A European company that historically makes very good optics, releasing 6x zoom range SFP and FFP scopes with locking turrets, illumination, decent reticles, etc. for $500-$700? That’s a first.

They started shipping a couple months ago, yet no one has really shot them. The big question isn’t “how’s the glass”, or “how the turrets feel”, or any other secondary nonsense. The important question is do they work. Do they hold zero even with rough handling, do they “track”, do they return to zero, etc. You know.... things a scope is supposed to do. Yet no one has measured or talked about these things.

So...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This one is the 3-18x50mm RD FFP with MRAD 1 reticle.

It weighs 30.9 ounces

The reticle is a a .2 mil hash reticle, except for the center. The center has a horseshoe ostensibly to make it usable/visible at low powers. Meopta and the gentleman that designed the reticle want it to be a crossover hunting and long range shooting reticle.

High power-

Low power-

Mounted it to a Tikka T3 that has been bonded to a KRG Chassis (top rifle)-

Bottom rifle is a T3x Lite SS, 6.5 Creedmoor also in a KRG chassis. It has mounted a SWFA SS 3-9x with way more than 100,000 rounds on it. If the Meopta works correctly, it’ll go on the 6.5 and go antelope hunting.

TBC.....

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cool. Be sure to give us a first impressions "teaser", even if you only get 100 rounds through it. Initial tracking performance update, etc.

Thanks in advance. I've been closely eyeballing this exact scope.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Sweet

That reticle is interesting.

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 10/15/19.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interested......

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Subscribed.....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
The first trip was super short (200’ish rounds). Bore sighted, fired two rounds. Adjusted down .5, and right .3, and fired 7 more rounds. A final up .2 and done.

Next was checking adjustment value. Normally this would be done with the scope mounted on a vice and the “tracking” checked on a tracking board. I didn’t have that this time, so live shooting would be it. Two dots placed as far apart as I could get with the target I was using. Went to scope, measured with the reticle 10.4 mils between centers on the dots. Fired a round at the bottom dot, dialed 10.4 mils, aimed at the bottom dot and fired. Dialed down 10.4 mils, fired up 10.4 mils, etc, etc.
Shooting is NOT a very accurate way to measure increment value. It takes a really, really, good gun with consistent sub MOA 10 round groups, and big adjustment range (10+ mil/30+ MOA) to see anything worthwhile. This gun is a very consistent 1.2-1.3 MOA gun for ten rounds with the lot of ammo being used. After 20 rounds the scope adjusted within 1% at 10.4 mils.

With that completed, a quick check for return to zero (RTZ). Shoot a round, dial up and down 300-500 mils, shoot a round, etc. I got bored and the last time I dialed up and down a couple thousand mils.

No issues-

Next was checking to see how it does with zero retention from side and top impacts. The way we do it is- gun zeroed, drop once on left side from 12” onto padded mat, shoot, drop once on right side, shoot, once top side, shoot. If all is good, then repeat from 36”. If it holds zero, then three drops on each side, and check.

After dropping on left/right/top from 12”, and two drops from 36”-

The next hundred’ish rounds were spent shooting from alternate positions and getting a feel for the reticle, eyebox, etc. Once that was done, it was taken off and remounted on the 6.5 Creed. Zeroed without issue.

I did fire a 3 round group for those that think 3 rounds means anything-

Checked drop at 700 or so on the 6.5, and shot some more positional stuff. Amazingly, despite being told countless times that when shooting long range you’ll be on the highest power, with the lower light and not being prone, this is where I ended up when I looked at it-

TBC.....

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
even if you only get 100 rounds through it.

Ha. That happened in the first 20 minutes.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 10/15/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TAG

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The big question isn’t “how’s the glass”, or “how the turrets feel”, or any other secondary nonsense. The important question is do they work. Do they hold zero even with rough handling, do they “track”, do they return to zero, etc. You know.... things a scope is supposed to do. Yet no one has measured or talked about these things.

deer god YESS!!! who gives a crap about the freaking glass. let it be tasco, give me bomb proof internals. Someone needs to send me one to test in my scope testing fixture, tall target that is tape measured at 100 yards.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
even if you only get 100 rounds through it.

Ha. That happened in the first 20 minutes.

From you, I expected no less😉

Last edited by screaminweasil; 10/15/19.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

deer god YESS!!! who gives a crap about the freaking glass. let it be tasco, give me bomb proof internals. Someone needs to send me one to test in my scope testing fixture, tall target that is tape measured at 100 yards.

Dumbass.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great stuff, Form, thank you for doing this and sharing the results.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks ,curious about the outcome. Hopefully its a new option.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Excellent

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good stuff, did someone ask you to test the scope, or were you interested enough to buy one?

How does the extra long eyepiece / magnification ring work out with mounting?

Watching this one with interest

Edit, maybe the eyepiece isn’t that long, just the perspective of one of the photos

Last edited by Castle_Rock; 10/16/19.
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
The next morning the chick and I got up early for her to confirm zero on her rifle. I put the 6.5 with the Meopta on top of the targets and gear for the quite crappy ride up the mountain. The Optika6 was good after going down, and back up the FS road which the ride alone will have most scopes loose zero...

Everything still worked after shooting a bit, so in the truck it goes-

..... Is that a Leupold...! eek

It rode in the drawer like that with a 1/4” to 1/2 “ mat for padding. All the other rifles were stacked on top with no padding. The rifle was strapped to the side of the pack for a few days and took a hit every time I dropped the bag.

A few days later at 576 yards-

Exit from the 130gr Berger OTM-

Again, the scope was nowhere near the highest power on the goat. Of the 6 animals shot, only two were killed with the scope on the highest power.... from a fixed 6x

After the trip, I’ve decided that the X-RAY butt is great for a dedicated LR gun, however the Bravo rear end is better for all around hunting use. The forend and butt of the KRG chassis come off with just a couple of screws and about 60 seconds you can swapaloo.

Lost a bit of weight on the 6.5 Lite, and improved handling. Shot it a bit after the swap, still zeroed, still working correctly.

TBC.....

F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Good stuff, did someone ask you to test the scope, or were you interested enough to buy one?

How does the extra long eyepiece / magnification ring work out with mounting?

Watching this one with interest

Edit, maybe the eyepiece isn’t that long, just the perspective of one of the photos

Had a bunch ask about these scopes, and I want to know as well. I bought this one.

The eyepiece isn’t anything unusual, must be the picture.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This is excellent info. Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looked at their website and can't really tell the answer.

The bottom metal except the magazine is included with the KRG Bravo?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Keep us posted.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 28 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.