Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I somehow loaded 20 rounds with 10 grains less powder than I intended so I started pulling them apart. I was using my RCBS hammer type puller. The thread on cap shattered on the first one. I then went to my back up puller and the little fingers that hold the rim in place tore off . I guess I was done pulling bullets.

I waited 90 minutes on hold with RCBS this morning. Crazy long wait! They were willing to send me more parts BUT- the plant is shut down because the power is off due to the fire danger! No idea when i will get them now!

Anyone ever broke one of these?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

HR IC

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Broke a few inertia hammers. They wear out/fatigue after awhile.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I threw two of em away after my incident with primer detonating.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Get a collet puller, no breakage nor frustration.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, have pulled the rims off of the aluminum holders, never did work very well either. I use an RCBS collet pullet now, much nicer, faster, more reliable. I have mangled a few bullets if I wasn't careful though,

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Run the cartridge up thru your press without a die installed. Grab bullet with side cutter pliers. Pull ram down. Bullet comes out. And the core isn't damaged by banging a damn hammer.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Instead of those three piece aluminum shell holders that come with the inertia puller, try using a regular shell holder from your press. I think you'll find it works much better and you'll never have one wear out like the aluminum. Also, look at getting a collet puller. Especially for smaller bullets. I've broken a couple pulling small diameter bullets before I got a collet puller. I still use the inertia puller on larger stuff.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
https://grip-n-pull.com/

^^^^^^Heres your huckleberry^^^^^^^^

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Mine has payed for itself many time over. I have a bad habit of loading in 50-round lots and deciding that after 20 rounds into it, I don't want to use it anymore....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1 on the collet puller! I have one permanently installed in my Redding T7 press. It sees plenty of use and it seldom damages a bullet.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve had my RCBS hammer for over 25 years and the only problem I’ve ever run into was the rubber O-ring wearing out. Called RCBS and the sent me 3 new collets with O-rings for free.
Never heard of the threads shattering, did you hit the wrong end of the hammer by mistake?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Friend Dennis, good catch on the under-loaded rounds. When I need to pull bullets that are really tight in the neck I run that round into a turned-down seater die to seat the bullet maybe a smidgen (1-2 mm?) deeper, breaking the seal between the bullet and the brass neck. Then I use the inertia puller or the collet puller and they seem to come apart easier.

Sorry about your experience with RCBS. They usually provide better service, but they are in California and plagued by the same stupid folks that decided long ago to not build reservoirs or power plants. The power was shut off for nearly a million people due to wind hazard maybe breaking electrical lines, maybe causing sparking wires, maybe causing fires.

Give my regards to Ruby.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think I've broken 3 over the years, eventually they just shattered. Finally wised up and bought an RCBS collet puller, should have gotten one decades ago.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike_S

I'm ordering one of those. Put it off long enough.

Now with even more aplomb
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ha Ha them hammer pullers are a darn funny idea! The noise and the effort you have to put out using one of them is ridiculous! One of RCBS's most dufus ideas. Get a grip and pull though I pull many bullets using side cutters without damaging the bullets enough to matter and if there is a bit too much of a mark left you can still use them for working up loads.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I somehow loaded 20 rounds with 10 grains less powder than I intended so I started pulling them apart. I was using my RCBS hammer type puller. The thread on cap shattered on the first one. I then went to my back up puller and the little fingers that hold the rim in place tore off . I guess I was done pulling bullets.

I waited 90 minutes on hold with RCBS this morning. Crazy long wait! They were willing to send me more parts BUT- the plant is shut down because the power is off due to the fire danger! No idea when i will get them now!

It's an omen--buy a collet puller.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gunswizard

This, slow but sure and a lot safer. Also JB has written that inertia pullers can loosen the core and jacket alignment and hurt accuracy. I have observed this but didn't know the cause until JB wrote of it.

I blew a cap with a hammer puller when I was 12 yrs. old. Fortunately no powder in the case (the reason I was pulling) and I had glasses on too. That one eventually shattered and good riddance to it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Run the cartridge up thru your press without a die installed. Grab bullet with side cutter pliers. Pull ram down. Bullet comes out. And the core isn't damaged by banging a damn hammer.

This is how I do it too. It doesn’t hurt the bullets......you don’t have to grip hard with a good side cutter.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I broke two. RCBS replaced them both times but couldn't get a reason for failure from them. Both broke in the thread area of the head. I use a piece of oak stump as my bang block and normally don't need to whack too hard. On the last break the whole cap with aluminum case rim collet blew off the top complete with male & female threads, hit a florescent light cover about 6 overhead, broke it, and ricocheted a bit further across the room. The one I have now will most likely be my last.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by Mike_S

I'm ordering one of those. Put it off long enough.

I bought 1 a few years ago and it is basically all I use. I still use my rcbs collets once in awhile and the hammer type mainly for crimped pistol bullets. I have only broke 1 hammer and sent in a piece of it to rcbs and they sent me a new one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 2,893 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.