Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to have that boochit cleared up.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL I had no idea it was even believed by anyone to begin with.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Never knew there was even an argument about it!

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BigNate

I've heard folks say never rest the AR mag on the bench while shooting.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[/quote]
I've heard folks say never rest the AR mag on the bench while shooting. [/quote]

I have heard that also, more of an accuracy thing than failure to feed. I find that I cannot get a steady platform using the mag as a rest. I do better unsupported than trying to use the mag.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Why anyone would use a mag as a rest is beyond me. But YMMV

I know its illegal in our competitions, and have seen folks called on it before.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Some folks around here seem to confuse preferred range/wine shoot off actions with expediency and practicality for real world use. LOL

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rost495

I know its illegal in our competitions, and have seen folks called on it before.

If it didn't make you more steady, it wouldn't be illegal. That's why they do it. And yes, I even add a ranger plate to my mags to get it a little taller...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by rost495

If it didn't make you more steady, it wouldn't be illegal. That's why they do it. And yes, I even add a ranger plate to my mags to get it a little taller...

Ever try a PMAG 40 to get the extra height?

IC B3

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
No I have too many 30's to abandon but the thought has crossed my mind. I might pick a few up just to see...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
More steady. Nope, not at all when compared to proper use of a sling. Or probably a bipod. Mag is in the wrong place. AND it gives weird gun vibrations for me anyway. I"ve tried it. I could shoot better with a sling.

But not that many know how to use a sling anymore either.

NOW if you use a good sling, and can get the mag tucked against the arm and even on top of a fold of a leather shooting jacket, ie not in hard contact with the ground, it changes just a hair IE the mag helps. Its still illegal though. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
There are plenty of times when it makes sense to rest the mag on the ground. Nothing to do with competition though.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Yondering
There are plenty of times when it makes sense to rest the mag on the ground. Nothing to do with competition though.

So does it not produce high shots like it does for me? Maybe it does but not high enough to matter for most issues. Just curious. I never did like that balance point. And usually so much to rest on otherwise in the world.

But you have tweaked my brain a bit memory wise... IIRC I saw folks doing just that in IDPA matches many years ago. We never did and shot just fine, but can't say we won either... LOL

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Resting the mag on the ground isn’t really ‘producing’ anything with the shot. Not loading into it, just like a bipod, and down pressure on the buttstock from a cheek, or enough forend drive is more likely jacking follow through, but that’s just from my experience with ARs in field expedient rests over the years. It’s just a different, hard surface support, is all. Has to be accounted for, if you need super duper precision.....which is generally not what it’s intended for, IF you’re doing it. It’s just for some stability in an awkward position when you’re smoked and trying to shoot (back) without another/better rest option.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 10/11/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did it all the time when I was still shooting rifle & 3-gun matches. A mag coupler with a nice wide bottom makes a great extra point of contact. There were plenty of times where I used the coupled mags solely for that reason and didn't even load from the second mag.

I never noticed any POI shift, of course I wasn't trying to shoot tiny groups.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by BigNate

I've heard folks say never rest the AR mag on the bench while shooting.

What? This won't fly, when I do the black rifle challenge, next time out, with this rifle?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Damn it, and I thought I found the perfect rest that no one would fight about..... crazy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (2500HD, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,085
Posts18,463,914
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.